Menu

My son has always been into languages and we are doing well with Latin and Spanish. The deal was he could add another language next year. He has chosen Greek, but then decided (with no research, in like 15 seconds) that he wanted to learn modern instead of ancient.

After perusing the Internet, my search for direct information has come up a bit lacking. I realize they are pronounced differently, and the modern version is simplified in its vowels, accent/breath marks, and declinations have been combined. However, it is a spoken language.

A "dead" language isn't a problem. I chose Latin for my son because of his direct interest in languages and the foundational part it has played in the Romance languages. It was a building block leading to Spanish and many other Romance Languages, as well as English.

Is Ancient Greek foundational in any other languages in the same was Latin is to the Romance Languages?

The foundations of English did begin in Greek, but then passed through Latin. Less than 10% actually come directly from Greek. Is it in this way that Ancient Greek is foundational in its structure or vocabulary?

Any info from veterans out there would be great. Thanks!

Is Ancient Greek foundational in any other languages in the same was Latin is to the Romance Languages?

Maybe Russian?

Seriously, some Armenenian vocab is borrowed from Greek. So is some Coptic and Syriac. Not sure about Georgian, but it's possible. If he wants to move into one of those languages the Classical would be better.

Classical Greek is usually done after Latin to show that the grammar is largely the same, except for when it isn't (no ablative or locative cases).

If he (or you) is wanting to improve English vocab the only major problem I see with a modern course is that it would be conversational, and would probably skip all the "philosophical":language that English has borrowed. Classical programs tend to go out of their way to cover those.