Menu

Those who have Kindergarten planned...what are you using?

Mommee & Baba

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For us:

All around-ABC mouse, he did level 1 in one month, maybe level 2 in one month so I am thinking by Fall he will be at level 5 and 6

Math-Essentials A and B and Rightstart A, Math Seeds

Language Arts-Get Ready for the Code A,B,C, Lakeshores Alphabet and Counting Activities Sticker Books (a page a day) My son seems to like sticker books...I wonder if I could teach all the subjects with sticker books?, read a ton of books, Reading Eggs

Handwriting-Handwriting without Tears

Science- Bugs to Bunnies, Science4Us

History-Elemental History

He will also have speech and ABA therapy probably. 

This post made me finally sign up! I have been reading these boards for a couple of years but my son is now at an age where we are schooling consistently.  DS will be five at the end of August.  I am not sure if I will consider him Pre-K5 or Kindergarten.  The school cut off date is Sept 1st, so he could tecnically be in Kindergarten, but I had always planned to officially start K right after he turned 6.  However, based on his progress this year, I find myself ordering almost all K stuff.  So, here is our list (with the knowledge that I will take it as slow as he needs). We will begin in September, unless otherwise noted:

Reading/Phonics - AAR1 - we are finishing up AAR Pre right now, so he will start 1 around May. (We school year round with breaks every few weeks.

Handwriting - A Reason for Handwriting K

Math - Saxon K - He is starting Beginning Math Reasoning 2 by CTC right now, so we will use this as a supplement to Saxon as well.

History/Geography/Language Arts - Sonlight P4/5 with Language Arts K - I do not plan to make Sonlight LA our main guide, but am going to use it primarily for the readers. I love the rest of Sonlight!  (So far, at least, since we've only done P3/4.)

Bible - Bible Study Guide 3-K

Science - We are still doing Exploring Science by Elemental Science and will continue that for next year since I have gone through it very slowly.

We've already started, though we aren't doing official, formal kindergarten. Gem, 4 and Taurus, 2 are working together on OPGTR. Everything else is as a family.

OPGTR

Nature Journals

Composer study

Artist/picture study

Homemade handwriting (just Gem)

Homemade science

Prewriting worksheets (just Gem)

Mensa for Kids read aloud

Living math books, living math

Lots of library books

The advice we're being given now based on some preliminary testing is that my ds5.5 is very bright but possibly dyslexic and dyscalculic.  So I've got this odd combo of ability and hunger but no ability to intersect with reading or the more common ways.  At this point he can't even look at you and tell you he has 10 fingers, but he can tell you what the Trojan Horse was made out of, lol.

What we did for a K4 of sorts:

MFW K5 (very hack, skipping the reading)

Saxon K5 (didn't quite finish, very much enjoyed)

some Kumon workbooks for mazes, a HWT pre-writing book, that kind of thing

quality audiobooks, especially Swiss Family Robinson, and a lot of Jim Weiss stuff

Djeco art kits

MP K5 and 1st Enrichment Books used as a source for read alouds, throwing in some Enchanted Learning sometimes

and we're reading CHOW

What I'm thinking for K5:

LIPS leading into Barton or SWR, depending on how it goes

Ronit Bird (math for dyscalculia).  I own RS, etc. but I don't know that he'll be able to do it. 

TOG Primer.  I'm CRAZY excited about this.  He's a dominantly kinesthetic learner and enjoys history, so I'm thinking this could really work.

SL read alouds.  I have no clue what core they're from.  They're from back in the old days with my dd, hehe.  Mr. Popper's Penguins and all that.  We're reading aloud Peter Pan right now, so he's ready.  Lots of happy memories from doing them with dd.

I *might* whip out something for geography.  He actually likes workbooks (within reason), so I might do the EM Beginning Geography with him. As is, we map and discuss things.  We could do a country study once a week, since I have GtG.  Just depends on how his stuff goes and how much he's hungry for.  I have plenty of geo puzzles and things to do with him to keep us busy without a formal curriculum just yet.  

I'll probably pick up some more Usborne books that are set up to read and do for science.  I have the magnets book, but I'd like some more.  Just something informal like that, maybe tied to nature study.  (rub tree leaves into a notebook, catalog wildflowers, constellations using the HA Rey book, etc.)

Handwriting I need to buy.  I might go Peterson.  

Art-We've been doing Djeco kits and enjoy them.  I think he'd like to do something more, so I'm exploring what that would be.  I'm kind of a novice at this.  Dd went to camps and drove the rest herself, so this is new to me.  

We'll probably end up doing some vision therapy (VT) stuff this summer to work on visual processing, so I'll probably make space to follow up on that during the school year with games and things.  I think a pentominoes set I ordered just came in.  That kind of thing.

If all that goes well, I'll throw in FLL1/2.  I did it with dd at this age and it created a terrific foundation for later study.  We'll see.  I actually sold my copy from way back then, when I had no clue I'd have another dc, sniff.  And it was this terrific spiral binding.  Now they're probably all permabound...

Oh, I didn't mention Bible and memory work.  Bible for him this year has been with his father and then flannel graph with me.  It's only in the last few months he could sing at all or recite anything memorized.  He now says short prayers and enjoys memory work from Pudewa's poetry, that kind of thing.  We've enjoyed using the Scripture Memory Fellowship verse books, but for the last couple years I read them to him without even knowing if anything was clicking.  Now he's able to repeat back, which is a nice change.  We don't really push for cold recitation because of his speech problem.

Dd will be doing K next year. Here is my plan:

Phonics: AAR 1

Math: Right Start A

Handwriting: HWOT

She will also be tagging along as she feels like it with ds who will be in 2nd grade. Here are our "together" subjects:

History: SOTW 1

Science: mommy made units on various topics

Art: Home Art Studio

For extracurriculars she does swimming and gymnastics, and we may give soccer a try in the fall since ds already plays.

Okay, it looks like DS is staying home next year.  I'm kind of sad, because I love his preschool and wish we could afford to do K there, but them's the breaks.

So I think we're going to do:

- Reading Eggs and BOB books for reading, moving into Easy to Read books

- Pictures in Cursive Primer and probably Book A

- MEP Reception and level 1A, and Numbers with Spunky

- Medieval History with DD1

- Science with DD1, but I'm not sure what type we'll be doing

- And lots of outside classes.

• 4 weeks later...

MCP K

ABC Mini Books (Scholastic)

Cut, Paste, and Write ABCs (Scholastic)

Liberty Math K

Bible Nuggets 

Join in with older siblings...we'll be studying early church history and medieval times.  We also do lots of Charlotte Mason type studies (nature, poetry, music, etc.).

We're a few weeks into our kindergarten year now, and I've made some changes:

Mathematics: CLE 1 and Miquon - I think I'm going to move into using Miquon as our core, and possibly even spring for some Crewton Ramone skype tutoring for the math loving boy. He randomly surprises me with what he knows in maths, but not first without me wondering why my math loving boy is annoyed with CLE. I think he needs once a week or so where he can just play and move ahead with someone other than me :P

Reading: PAL, supplementing with Little Angel Readers

Handwriting: Seton kindergarten - but I think I'm going to re-order the HWOT kindergarten book

Religion: same - saint books, Bible stories, memorizing prayers. We'll see if he's ready to do CCD at the church parish this fall.

History/Science: literature

• 2 weeks later...

It's not even July and we are already changing...

My oldest will be doing K-4.  She'll be 4 1/2 in the fall.  She did a letter of the week thing last year and is ready for phonics/wants to read.  The rest will just be following where she is curious.  She likes to do experiments with science and art projects.

Right now, I think we are going to do
Phonics:  AAR, BOB readers, and maybe play with reading eggs
Lit: Before FIAR to see if my book loving toddler will enjoy it, probably just rowing 2 books a month.   Buying books from book lists like BFIAR and just reading.  I think I'll add in reading chapter books aloud.

As the year progresses, I think we'll add:
Handwriting: zaner bloser K (she's so not ready, maybe in 6 months)
Math: debating btwn Miquon/Singapore and Horizons (bought Singapore Earlybird and Math U See)

I bought Leading Little Ones to God for devotion time.  Other stuff I'm looking into adding in: Berenstain Bears book of science, Poetry with When We Were Very Young, Teaching Art to Children.  We watch Little Pim videos for Spanish about 1x a week.

First time post :). So the my twins will tentatively starting kindergarten in August ( I still can't believe it ). We are keeping it simple.

Reading: I see sam books, Logic of English foundations B

Literature: Peak with books

Math: Horizon K with Sm process skills 1

Workbooks: kumon, brain quest 1, SM essentials and what ever else.

I have artist pursuits and BFSU but I still have decided we are going to regularly include art and science. Right now, we do art whenever we are moved to do art and never really get to science. The twins are young though so maybe next January we will add it in offically. Also, my kids love doing workbooks. They really like getting the little certificates at the end. Weird.

Ok so I don't know about anyone else but this plan no longer makes sense to us, so we made some changes (lol). 

Reading: Using Funnix instead of Logic of English and for now, it works.  we might go back to LOE at some point but for now the Funnix program is working for us.  

Math: I am leaning towards just continuing with what we are using, so that is Grube (vintage math book for arithmetic), SM Essentials B, mathematical reasoning K/1, Kitchen table Math and Miquon.  I thought I could streamline some next year, but nope, its not going to happen.  The kids and I love the variety.

History: Bede's history of me. It looks pretty cool and it;'s only once a week, so it can fit right in. 

My kids really love reading and listening to books and have been asking about various states and continents.  I am thinking about putting together year long unit study on folktales/fairy tales by country.    Maybe even adding in an animal per country to fit in some science.

I've changed my mind on phonics for DS3. We'll be using LOE Essentials for reading/spelling. He's reading Magic Tree House books comfortably, so I want to focus more on spelling and cover any phonics holes missing from intuiting phonics.

Still plan to continue with CLE Math 100. He likes it.

We're adjusting also! My previous post:

Planning on...

MM1 and Miquon Orange and Red

Phonics Pathways and BOB Books

Handwriting Skills Simplified B (a ZB spin off) and/or copywork

If I have time for content subjects with a 7 month old, I'll use Usborne's Internet Linked Prehistoric World as a spine for both history and science. It ends right where SOTW1 picks up, which I'm planning on doing in 1st.

If he's really hurting, we'll do some BFSU for science. Daddy will probably throw in a few experiments too.

Otherwise, lots of library books!

Oh and we'll continue doing Circle Time: calendar, weather, We Choose Virtues, memory work, and ABCs and 123s for the 2yo.

ETA: DS will be 5 in June.

I've been studying the Writing Road to Reading. DS is excited to write words and is always asking DH and I to spell things, so I think this will be a good fit for him. I'm going to learn the method myself first, so hopefully I'll be ready by late July to start our K year.

So WRTR will take care of reading and handwriting.

DS did finish Singapore Essentials, so we will be moving on to MM1 and maybe Miquon.

Science will be nature study. I've got The Handbook of Nature Study and an empty sketchbook waiting.

History will be Usborne's Prehistoric World with appropriate library books added in.

I also have Lollipop Logic and Beginning Geography to throw in there somewhere.

And I'm hoping the baby will be on a regular nap schedule by then. :/

My son will be 5 in October. He has very advanced verbal skills for his age and can do simple addition in his head, but he is just beginning to hold a pencil not in toddler grip, only can't recognize 1/2 a 3/4 of his alphabet and maybe 5 out of 10 digits (despite attending part time preschool and me working with him daily). My mother who is a very qualified educator with specialized certifications suspects he is of gifted intelligence with dyslexia or a similar LD.

That being said - I'm planning the following for him for this coming Fall. We will be spending the summer working on his alphabet and number recognition.

Phonics/Reading - Phonics Pathways and Reading Eggs

Math - Leaning to Rightstart A (my first grader will be doing RS B)

Spanish - BJU and practice with my husband (a Spaniard).

The following will be along with BIg Sister (I make him simplified worksheets etc and he can do them as he likes or just follow along):

History: Usborne's Prehistoric World (adjusted for our religious beliefs) for a few weeks then SOTW 1

Science: Elemental as spine but lots of adjustments to make my own

Literature: From the Ancient Period as studied with DD

Music: World's Greatest Composers (Confessions of a Homeschooler curriculum), plus weekly violin practice with tutor and practice every other day.

Art: Eclectic

Bible: CLE 101-105 (he and his big sister each have one)

:-)

My son will be 5 in October. He has very advanced verbal skills for his age and can do simple addition in his head, but he is just beginning to hold a pencil not in toddler grip, only can't recognize 1/2 a 3/4 of his alphabet and maybe 5 out of 10 digits (despite attending part time preschool and me working with him daily). My mother who is a very qualified educator with specialized certifications suspects he is of gifted intelligence with dyslexia or a similar LD.

That being said - I'm planning the following for him for this coming Fall. We will be spending the summer working on his alphabet and number recognition.

Phonics/Reading - Phonics Pathways and Reading Eggs

Math - Leaning to Rightstart A (my first grader will be doing RS B)

Spanish - BJU and practice with my husband (a Spaniard).

The following will be along with BIg Sister (I make him simplified worksheets etc and he can do them as he likes or just follow along):

History: Usborne's Prehistoric World (adjusted for our religious beliefs) for a few weeks then SOTW 1

Science: Elemental as spine but lots of adjustments to make my own

Literature: From the Ancient Period as studied with DD

Music: World's Greatest Composers (Confessions of a Homeschooler curriculum), plus weekly violin practice with tutor and practice every other day.

Art: Eclectic

Bible: CLE 101-105 (he and his big sister each have one)

:-)

If RS doesn't click, look into Ronit Bird.  That's what I'm using with my 5 yo who I think will probably get dyslexia and dyscalculia labels eventually.  

You might also get his eyes checked by a developmental optometrist, just to make sure there's nothing going on there.  It would be another explanation.  You go to COVD's provider locator to find one.  You can do a regular eval but ask them to *screen* him for the developmental stuff and discuss what you're seeing.  That's what I've done with my ds.  

If RS doesn't click, look into Ronit Bird. That's what I'm using with my 5 yo who I think will probably get dyslexia and dyscalculia labels eventually.

You might also get his eyes checked by a developmental optometrist, just to make sure there's nothing going on there. It would be another explanation. You go to COVD's provider locator to find one. You can do a regular eval but ask them to *screen* him for the developmental stuff and discuss what you're seeing. That's what I've done with my ds.

I've never heard of Ronit Bird. I'll be googling that tonight. He's had an eye exam by a pediatric eye doctor and they said his vision was perfect. Is that different from the developmental test?

I've never heard of Ronit Bird. I'll be googling that tonight. He's had an eye exam by a pediatric eye doctor and they said his vision was perfect. Is that different from the developmental test?

Yes, totally different.  You need a developmental optometrist if you want a developmental vision eval.  Depending on how long ago that eye exam was, what you could do is wait and do his next annual eye exam with the developmental optometrist.  They can just *screen* him for the developmental stuff.  There's also a separate full developmental vision exam.  Around here it's 2 1/2 hours, $250.  They test stuff a regular exam barely touches on.  They'll look fully at convergence, focusing, tracking, accommodation, depth perception, etc. etc.  They look not only at whether he can do the tasks but whether it's functional (can cycle it over a period of time or whether he fatigues).  They usually have a thing called a visa graph, which is infrared goggles attached to a computer that tracks the tracking as they read.  They also have ways to test non-readers.  They'll do detailed tests of his visual processing.  My dd had problems with convergence *and* visual processing.  When we got her eval'd at newly 11 she had the visual memory of a *2* year old.  No wonder she was having problems!  They look at figure-ground, closure, all sorts of things.  My ds so far seems to have only visual processing problems. You don't know till you get the testing done.  Since almost all of homeschooling builds on vision, it's really important it be working correctly.

Btw, these docs vary, just as any practitioner would, so you want to check around for reputation.  A Fellow is generally a better bet if you're picking somebody out of the blue with no feedback.

I started my ds with RS A months ago and after a couple lessons it was clear nothing was clicking.  He couldn't look at dot patterns and identify them.  He can't tell you how many fingers he has.  Yes he was confusing numbers.  They're a *bit* better now.  Ronit Bird spends an entire e-book breaking down skills that RS covers in 1-2 lessons.  

Just for your trivia, my ds has verbal apraxia (a motor control problem, not a developmental delay), and his verbal scores on parameters not affected by his praxis are 98th % to off the charts.  The SLP says he's gifted.  He's really wild when you're being told to up the level of what he's doing, that he's gifted, to feed him more, and he can't tell you how many fingers he has.   :confused1:    So we just enjoy ourselves and do things together. I try to surround him with quality audiobooks.  Right now he's into The Three Musketeers, as in the original by Dumas.  Crazy.  :lol:

That was all just to say I understand what you're saying.   :)

I've been staying away from this thread because I'm still not sure whether we're hs'ing or ps'ing next year, or even whether we'll do anything we call K next year since DD is still young age-wise and emotionally (but a little above average cognitively and driven to learn.) I've been continually pushing her back from the 3R's, because I sometimes worry she's too intense about learning them, and too hard on herself when she can't get things. I want her to have more fun in these precious years, but she acts like she'd rather figure out math problems than play games or do art projects or run around outside, and that worries me a bit.

At the moment, assuming we hs K-ish-ly, we'll just continue the LA and math we've been doing this year, but at a slower pace:

*Math: RS (she'll probably be done with A by mid-summer, so we'd start B.) Also fooling around with Miquon as we have been, when she asks for it.

*LA: She's been reading ER's for awhile, but we've never done a formal phonics program...We may just continue reading ER's for fun or start with LOE Foundations B (or maybe C) if I want to start introducing spelling. For handwriting we're not doing a formal program, I'll just be working on refining her neatness since she still writes diagonally and without using paper/whiteboard guide lines.

* History: We may start SOTW if I think she's ready next winter...Otherwise we'll just wing it by reading Little House books and discussing early American history.

*Science: A lot of nature study, and we'll continue with BFSU, and go a little deeper into the topics she's shown the most interest in. I also want to spend more time on the Magic School Bus/Thames & Kosmos boxes I've bought that we've only dabbled around with so far. We love experiments here!

* Music: I just ordered SQUILT and I'm excited to start using it! She's also doing piano (Music for Little Mozarts) sporadically, whenever she wants to play.

* Art: I'm looking through a number of art books and associated crafts now.

* Continuing with dance, swimming and yoga.

* A ton of great read alouds and discussions!

This sounds like a ton, but most of it isn't every day, and I'm hoping that I can keep her love of learning while showing her there's SO much more to life (and learning) than the 3 R's.

• 4 weeks later...

We have been doing K work for a few months now. This is what we are going to continue to do:

Reading: Finish AAR 1 and begin AAR 2, Bob Books, and other assorted Easy readers. Explode the Code every now and then when DD needs "busywork"

Math: Rightstart A and other math games

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears K

Extras: Homeschool Co-op Twice a week- lots of fun, hands on classes including a lego class, a hands on chemistry class, and arts and crafts.

PE: Gymnastics once a week

Okay... this is my first official curriculum plan thread... and I reserve the right to edit!  We're doing 1 1/2 years of K.  My K-er has a late summer birthday and I want to school Jan-Dec...  But I'm calling this fall K - because his friends are starting K... 

LA: OPGTR, maybe some Hooked On Phonics for breaks or reincorcements, HWT K, and a pretty fun and extensive Lit list that goes with my curriculum/unit plan

Math: Rightstart A, Life of Fred Apples

Science: Mostly Nature Nature Nature... I have a goal of 2 hours at least outside every day... ya'd think since we have farm animals to take care of it would be easy... but I'm trying to add lots of nature exploring time.

Science Is Simple and then Mudpies activities (the kiddos do these together - mostly just as something fun to do)

History/Geography: Term 1, we're making a map of our property, and some visits to local sites and biographies that go with them.  Term 2 and 3 I might move into a pre-columbus and post-columbus american history plan I put together... but only if he's ready.  

Piano: Faber... me teaching

Spanish: Song School Spanish, Salsa and Little Pim

Art: I like the little hands books.  Just lots of free, messy art time.  

I'll try to do picture study and composer study... but probably pretty minimally.  Focusing on Mozart and Monet for the year probably.  

Well-Being: Sitting Still Like a Frog and the Kids Yoga Deck, reading through Children of God Storybook and other Virtue/Spirit stories as part of our lit/reading plan.  

My little one likes Peak With Books - so we'll probably do some together.  

Doing SL p4/5 this summer and into the ":school year" - that's our pre-k but yes I'm already kicking around kindy ideas - probably MFW kindergarten with lots of added lit.

We're starting Right Start math A this fall and we'll go slow so we may still be doing it come next fall.

Hoping Getty Dubay handwriting works for us I don't want to shell out the $$$ for HWOT.

We started kindy a couple of weeks ago.

Reading: library books at her level.

Math: RightStart B, Dreambox, Time-Life I Love Math series, MathStart series

Handwriting: StartWrite software, learning print and cursive concurrently

Spanish: Salsa and DuoLingo, not sure what we'll do after Salsa is completed

Science: BFSU, Lego Education Early Simple Machines, The Private Eye, children's science museum membership

Spelling: All About Spelling 2

History: mom-made prehistory (Big Bang to early man)

Art: Artistic Pursuits pre-k, Usborne drawing book, Usborne Complete Book of Art Ideas

Music: The Story of the Orchestra, violin lessons

It looks like so much when I type it out! We only school three days per week, no more than four subjects per day. We just like variety!

My DS will be 6 in November.  Going by the public schools here, he wouldn't have started K until this year, and I chose to wait.  Mostly because he's been in intensive speech since 3 years old, and I wanted to focus on that for another year.  The plan worked, as he was dropped to once a week speech last month, and will be done with speech by September :hurray:

AAS1

Singapore Essential A&B

HWOT K

R&S ABC Series

FIAR/Literature units occasionally

Tagging along with his big brother who's doing HOD Bigger this year

We'll also have co-op, park days, and I'm hoping to get him into a sport

We're going to spend the summer working on handwriting, as he's very behind.  I'm hoping to have him caught up enough by August where he can do some writing, and then I'll probably add more to his Kindergarten schedule.

My kindergartner & 1st grader are combined in everything but math. So, we're using:

SOTW (at whatever extent she deems appropriate)

RSO Science (we'll do the labs & worksheets together as a group)

Singapore Essentials B

LOE Foundations B (and probably move into C)

Home Art Studio

My second K'er. Gotta love the experience going into it a second time...not excited to listen to more bob books sounded out at a painfully slow pace though...

Language Arts- Logic of English A and B, with separate copywork and Bob books thrown in.

Math- Miquon Orange and Red.

Science- Interest and Literature based Anatomy and Botony with brother.

History- SOTW 2 with brother ( just the first half, through the Middle Ages) with lots of extra books thrown in.

A morning time together with read alouds, memory work, poetry, bible and a rotation of Aesop, geography, saints, fine art, and classical music.

My 5.5 year old (born 12/08) will be starting K this fall. Im sooo excited! 

Core: HOD Little Hearts for His Glory

Reading: Phonics Pathways w/ McGuffey Primer, hope to get to Reader 1

Math: Rod & Staff Math 1

Handwriting Without Tears K

Bible: Weekly memory verses, going through The Bible for Children by Murray Watts storybook, working on the Reformed catechism, and listening to lots of Seeds Family Worship CDs :) .. Maybe Awana, too, haven't decided yet

...aaaaand reading lots of books off the AO Year 0 list.

She'll also be in a dance class, we're joining a homeschool group, and one day a week she'll take classes at a local private Christian school in a homeschool program.

Finishing Saxon K and going into Saxon 1

Song School Spanish with big brother

Sing, Spell, Read and Write

Bede's History of Me with some American history/social studies with big brother (who's doing SOTW 3)

Doing biology with big brother and Nature Readers

Leading Little Ones to God

Drawing with Children art and music appreciation

Phonics - AAR3/ AAR4

Reading - 20 minutes of reading a day

Math - Mcruffy 1st grade

Handwriting - HWOT K and 1st

History - SOTW 1

Science - Unit studies on what ever she request to learn about

Spanish - Song school spanish

Extras - still up in the air since we don't know where we will be living yet.

I might tweak because I realize this is kind of a lot for K, but dd is really interested in Science and I think she'll like history.  I plan on being very project heavy on the history, and taking more than K to do SOTW.  DD has also requested to learn Spanish.  I might end up scaling back again, but we will see.

Ollie's really enjoyed PreK, we're just gonna continue on with the next level of what we've been doing:

HWOT, K level

Rod and Staff, ABC series

AAR level 1

math workbooks for fun until ready for Math Mammoth

Child craft vol. 1 - Stories and Poems

And joining in with his older sibs with a (very) few more expectations this year:

SOTW 2

FLL 2

WWE 2

ES - astronomy and earth science

Artistic Pursuits 1

I did half a semester of K with my oldest at the beginning of the year, before pregnancy complications set in.  She is very vocal about wanting to attend public school in the Fall, and, thinking back, I realized that she was much more in favor of homeschooling when we were actually doing it and she was enjoying it.  So, in an effort to reel in my reluctant homeschooler (and also to prove to myself that I can do this with four), I decided to go ahead and start the second quarter work that I already had planned and prepped from earlier in the year.  PS is still a possibility, but if this summer quarter goes well, we will be continuing in the Fall.

Language Arts:

OPGTR, currently at lesson 71

Bob Books

Cursive in Pictures

Read Alouds; Burgess Bird Book, Trumpet of the Swan, maybe Heidi after that

Math:

Singapore Math Primary Mathematics 1 with Intensive Practice and Callenging Word Problems

Facts Tests on Fridays (she loves this; I use the mental math lists from the back of the book, and she can earn a candy for getting all the answers right under a certain time limit)

Spanish:

Salsa and other kid shows in spanish.  I'm really hoping I can come up with the money to do Skype tutoring through Language Convo next winter for my girls.

Art:

We tried doing Drawing to Learn Drawing earlier in the year, but I've decided to shelve that for a year or two and just do weekly fun time with art supplies

History:

SOTW 1

Music:

Pianimals Phonics 4 Piano

Science:

BFSU  This was definitely hardest to get done during our first quarter.  This quarter we are doing a big unit study on birds incorporating the BFSU lessons on life cycles and species, plus two others that are prerequisite to those that we hadn't completed yet.  

I also have a Pre-K tag along who voluntarily chooses to participate in Science, History, Art, Spanish, and Read Alouds alongside her sister, as well as getting (on demand) her own Phonics with OPG, Math with Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 2, soon to be followed by Miquon Orange, and violin lessons from Mama using guidelines from teachsuzuki.blogspot.com

I know that I posted in this thread a while back, but we changed things up. I have four kids that are 4-6 years old, and we are doing all subjects together except phonics. We started school in June and we plan to go year-round.

Math:
Math on the Level
Math Mammoth and Life of Fred as supplements

Science:
MS Nucleus
Nature Study
Let's Read & Find Out books
Magic School Bus videos

History:
Adventures in America

Geography:
Pieces from Build Your Library K

Enrichment:
Memoria Press K

Music:
Folk songs and hymns

Foreign Language:
Salsa Spanish and TV programs

Faith / Character:
Storybook bibles, Big Thoughts for Little People, The Children's Book of Virtues, etc

Handwriting:
Printables and copy work

Literature:
Read alouds - fables, picture books and The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter, right now

Phonics:
My oldest son (who will be 6 next week) is doing Memoria Press.
My daughters, who are both 4, are doing ETC and Sing Spell Read Write.
My youngest son does Rod & Staff preschool books.

It looks like a lot, but it really isn't. We have a good routine going with a wonderful "Morning Time" and everyone is enjoying themselves so far.

I am kind of in denial that my youngest of four is starting K this year. She actually turns 5 three weeks after the official cut-off but I am going to go ahead and start register her officially. She's ready.

Reading Made Easy with Explode the Code, Calvert School Discoveries in Early Reading DVD series

Singapore Essentials

Tag along with DD2nd grade for Sonlight Core B

Sonlight P4/5

Classes at the Nature Center and Aquarium

Swimming

Atelier Level 1

Calvert School Discoveries in Music DVD series

I am after-schooling kindergarten level work with my preschooler who turns 5 at the end of December.  Academically and desire wise he wants that level of work.

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading (we are already at lesson 45) and he actually enjoys it.  

Lots of readers, Bob books

Various read alouds.  Right now he loves Magic Tree house (has even read a few sentences independently)

In August I plan to ramp it up...

Horizons K for math

Math games, and general stuff around the house

I plan on reading some math related picture books too.

Handwriting will be worked on through Language Lessons for the Very Young in her copy work.  I plan on teaching cursive in 2015.  His fine motor is right where it should be for a 4 & 1/2 year old.  He will also work through Kumon mazes and tracing books.  

I am hoping to also throw in some science books on animals, the body, and plants.  And maybe do a few notebooking pages on these with him.

I also hope to do the same with books on the continents and oceans and do some geography.  I am planning on looking at Bede's History of Me, but really want my hands on it before I buy.

I am trying to keep things simple because he will be attending pre-school (which I LOVE) and don't want his entire afternoon to be school work.  I also only plan on doing the science/geography/social studies stuff 4 days a week.  Math and reading will be 5 days, but one day will be really light/quick.

Just finishing K with my Dd6 and starting K next year with my Dd4 (almost 5).  Here is what we have done or will do

Phonics/Reading: All about Reading

Handwriting: Zanor Bloser K

Math: (Dd6) Rightstart A, (Dd4) RS B (maybe part of A, I'll see how she does w/B), Singapore Essentials

Art: Home Art Studio

P.E.: Iceskating and Family Time Fitness

Music: Hopefully start Piano

Also I will be doing a mish mash of read alouds from SL P4/5 and A with my Dd4 and Dd6.

History, Science, and Geography will all be with her older sisters if she is interested in following along.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm excited to be starting our first year. My son will be 5 in Nov, but is very eager to start.

We are hoping to do the following:

The Reading Lesson

A Reason for Handwriting K

CTC Mathematical Reasoning Level A for K

Building Your Library K, Around the World  (Very excited for this)

Developing the Early Learner

We also have Inchimals, a science experiment kit, and Geopuzzles.

I'm excited to be starting our first year. My son will be 5 in Nov, but is very eager to start.

We are hoping to do the following:

The Reading Lesson

A Reason for Handwriting K

CTC Mathematical Reasoning Level A for K

Building Your Library K, Around the World  (Very excited for this)

Developing the Early Learner

We also have Inchimals, a science experiment kit, and Geopuzzles.

Your K year looks very similar to my plan! My daughter is only 4, so we're doing a K4 year and then next year we will start most of the things on your list. We are doing BYL K this year, though. (It looks wonderful, doesn't it?!) I'm very excited! In fact I think the only differences are we will use Phonics Pathways and Zaner-Bloser. We are also going to start Kinderbach this year!

That is so cool Rellybob. I actually want to use Phonics Pathways and ZB handwriting for first.  I didn't find ZB until after I bought Handwriting for a Reason K, which is animal themed so should complement BYL nicely.  I have just received a few of my books for Around the World in, they are so lovely. I wish I learned this way. Wishing you an awesome K4 year.

New here :)  My son will be doing PreK starting this September.

So far the general plan is:

Math

• Mathematical Reasoning Beginning 1 & 2
  • Life of Fred Apples
  • Right Start Math A

Phonics

• TATRAS

Critical Thinking

• Mind Benders Book 1
  • Thinker Doodles Beginning
  • Can You Find Me PreK
  • Visual Perception Skill Building Book 1
  • Building Thinking Skills Beginning
  • Dr. DooRiddles A1

Content

• Moving Beyond the Page 4-5

My baby will be Kindergarden this year. It's hard to believe.

Math:

Continue MM1 very slowly

Dreambox starts August 1st

Mix in some MEP towards the end of the year

Finish OPGTR

Start AAS, FLL, and WWE

She has been doing a little copy work and writing in cheap workbooks

She joins her older sisters in Song School Latin.

She will join in on SOTW too.

We do science together as well.

This is our first year joining a co-op. They have the Kindergardeners doing a Health Class and a music class.

Here's where we are headed. We have about half of this already as a part of our week, and the formal WRtR and Singapore we will begin in late August.

Language Arts: Writing Road to Reading

Math: Singapore A&B, I bought Life of Fred Apples, but I think DD is a little too young for it now. I plan to reassess in December. I did order a ton of the math story books suggested in TWTM for this age too.

Geography: Continental Blob Mapping

History: Casually listening to SotW volume 1 and reading biographies as dd is interested. (We just finished a juvenile biography of Pocahontas. She really enjoyed hearing about a person who really existed.) This discipline is really loose for this year. I'm thinking I might just look for more biographies on influential women.

Art & Music: Harmony Fine Arts & the many books that entails. Doing the art component with my whole focus, and then next year I want to add more structured composer studies to go along with SotW when we formally begin. To compliment HFA, I have picked out some pieces to see this year at local museums. We are also going to try to begin piano lessons, (hubby teaching her) but I'm a bit skeptical. :D

Bible: Grace and Truth Memory Work

Science: Nature studies. I am getting the Handbook of Nature Study in the mail any day. We also have Mudpies & Magnets to pick and choose activities from.

Physical: DD has been and will continue dance & swim.

and w younger bro: BFIAR/FIAR mixtures depending on what we have in our personal library, and rowing slowly--no real rush. I'm hoping this will complement our geography component, too.