Menu

Transitioning to afterschooling

DS will be finishing up 5th grade this year, which has been our third year homeschooling.  For a variety of reasons (social, opportunities for activities, me not wanting to homeschool through high school!) we are looking at him attending a private school next year.  The one we're leaning toward is a small Christian school, not a huge variety of classes but very good basics and certainly a better than average education.  Sixth grade there is still elementary school, which I think will make for an easier transition.

As we look at making this change, I'm trying to decide what to focus on for the remainder of this school year.  We're at or above grade level for everything, except possibly writing... he's probably still okay there but not up to where I'd like him to be.  Here's what I'm thinking:

• Keep working through Math (MM) and Grammar (Hake) and we'll be above where we need to be.
  • Keep going through our science and history topics; I do know the books the school uses, and I think this summer I'll purchase and have him read through the 5th grade Abeka History and Geography book so that he is familiar with what they studied this year.  Science, I'm not worried about as everyone hits different topics.
  • Do the extras (logic, Spanish, vocab, programming, etc.) a few times a week as we have time.

What I want is for him to work on "school" type of writing... would I be best off just purchasing like a Spectrum workbook to let him do some of those types of exercises?  Or just giving him writing prompts?

Also, I'm torn.... I wonder whether I need to be *more* structured to get him prepared for a full day class next year, or take the opportunity to be relaxed in these last few months before returning?

He's been in school before, so I'm not really worried about things like standing in line, raising hand, stuff like that.... he's out of practice but he'll remember.  :)

So, I would love your thoughts on the above, plus any great advice you have on transitioning back if you've been there, done that.  I don't know that we'll do a ton of afterschooling the first year back, probably just some good reading at home, plus programming courses, which he does with DH.

This is kind of rambling and not very specific, LOL... but any thoughts you have would be great!!  :)

We are in a similar position of sending DD to school next year for 6th. Writing and math are the two things I'm most stressed about, but the school has them do an essay and a math placement test (it's a charter school that starts with 6th grade, so all her classmates will be new to the school as well).

I'm working on getting DD used to both writing on demand and editing her work. We're using Moving Beyond the Page lit units, which involve a fair bit of writing, as well as writing on topics for geography.

For math she's all over the place, so we're drilling and reinforcing weak areas with Smartmath, MM dark blue, manipulatives, games, and flashcards, while powering forward in the Fred intermediate books. We'll likely keep up math through the summer.

Can you find out what the school uses for writing and use the 5th grade book at home now?

Also, in your place, I would "be *more* structured to get him prepared for a full day class" now, and then ease up the afterschool expectations/schedule for at least the first six months of his 6th grade, to give him time to adjust to the school homework.

I do know that our most-likely school uses Abeka for writing and grammar in 5th and 6th.  I looked at those and decided not to use them at home, mainly because they felt like they were more written for a classroom, but it does mean I'm familiar with what's in them.  I'm not concerned with that program's content so much, as I'm pretty sure we've covered most of what's in there.  It's more that I know they write across the curriculum a fair amount, and I'd like to increase the quantity and variety of what I have DS writing.  And maybe that means I just have him write more.  :D

An area that I would like to reinforce is organization, along with things like study skills and being responsible for your assignments.  I did get DS a planner, and I'm going to have him start by writing in any steps in projects, reminders, things like that.  By the end of the year I'd like him to be writing down most of his work, or at least certain parts of it.  And I agree that once the new year starts, we'll probably do very little afterschooling for at least the first semester.  I'd rather he get involved in some activities or spend time getting to know new friends... with any time or energy he has left!!

We've used a lot of Spectrum books, the language arts in particular I actually do like if only for the table of contents.  You can easily spot a grid and basic pattern of fundamentals in those, and enrich/add to them for practice.  

The conceptual/history- more interpretive material I'm not so much a fan of, but simple grammar arts, yes, they are solid.  Not all encompassing, but a nice way to get your feet wet.