Menu

Language Arts, Grammar, Spelling, Literature, no abbreviations please!

WriterMommy

I'm currently using WWE and FLL, both level one for my first grader who is an advanced reader. I'm not in love with it. I find it too slow and not challenging in the least. I've thought of just skipping a level, but I'm concerned it's never going to be what I want.

For second grade, I'd like:

diagramming

parts of speech

sentences and paragraphs

I feel that the Peace Hill Press curriculum is just so much copy work. SO MUCH. He doesn't mind all that much, but I want to see more improvement in his own writing, which I don't see a lot of with this curriculum, since it requires no independent writing.

As for spelling, I tried Rod and Staff spelling 2, as I love their phonics book, but I didn't care for the spelling.

And as for Literature, it is non-existent. We read a lot of superhero books and Ninjago. Gag, I know. Help!

Can anyone recommend grammar, literature or spelling curriculums, and tell me a little about it? I am overwhelmed with the number of choices out there, and not sure which ones are worth checking out.

Also, if you could, please avoid using abbreviations. I just used the only ones I know. :D

Oh, so you can use abbreviations but we can't, huh?  Well, I'm gonna anyway (so you can learn them).  :lol: I have a few ideas you might want to look at. 

For Grammar, I would highly recommend Learning Language Through Literature (LLTL).  This is not the same as Learning Language Arts Through Literature (LLATL).  Each level you read good books, a chapter per lesson and your grammar lesson is based on that chapter.  There is diagramming but I'm not sure at what level that begins. 

Sequential Spelling (SS) (scroll down at link for videos) is working well for us.  It uses the word family and pattern approach and builds.  You may have words like spatter, platter, splatter, matter, chatter, shatter, admit, permit, commit, omit, emit, submit... The next day builds on those with: spatters, platters, splatters, matters, chatters, shatters, admits, permits, commits, omits, emits, submits...  The next list builds again with ed endings (splattered, permitted), the next list has ing endings (shattering, omitting).  After maybe 5 days of a certain pattern you go to a different one. 

For writing there are several that you might want to look at....Writing Tales (this one might be better to start in 3rd grade), Essentials in Writing (EiW). This is not the same as Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW), Writing Strands

For literature, I really like the Moving Beyond the Page lit units (MBtP). If nothing else, you can get a good list of books to read if you don't want to use the guides.  Sonlight has a list per grade level too.

ETA: LLTL has now changed their name to English Lessons Through Literature.

For lit, I would really recommend k12 program. You can get student pages used on Amazon. My younger son uses it and we love the selection of stories in all volumes.

http://www.christianbook.com/classics-for-young-readers-volumes-1/9781931728010/pd/512940

This is the link to the program. You will need to buy student pages separately from Amazon.

I'll second Language Lessons Through Literature.  I adore the grammar instruction.  Adore it!  We are doing level 1 with a K'er and I've heard it ramps up quite quickly so we are taking our time and only finishing half the book this year.  It begins with a chapter or story to read (the literature you are missing, and all her choices are public domain so available free online), then moves onto grammar instruction, copywork that comes from the story/chapter you read and reinforces the grammar instruction (and obviously aids handwriting), and an Aesop fable and poem to read.  It also has occasionally picture study but we always skip that.  I know for sure that it goes over parts of speech in both levels 1 and 2.  I believe diagramming begins in 3.  Which is saying I know its included in level 3 but I don't know if it is in level 2 at all.  Looking at your needs I would suggest starting at level 2.

I supplement with Logic of English- Foundations as LLTL does not include any spelling or phonics.  I'm assuming an "advanced reader" is past phonics instruction but you may want a spelling program.  Logic of English- Essentials may fit the bill.  

I'll third Language Lessons Through Literature. We're really, really enjoying it and I find it very effective, especially for how simple and enjoyable it is. It's just thorough. We supplement with Wheeler's Elementary Speller, which I saw mentioned on a thread awhile ago. We've been using it for several months and I really like it. Oh, and it's free on google books.

Oh, wow. Logic of English Essentials looks like an awesome program. I wish it had more levels. As far as I can tell it has just 40 lessons. I wish they continued through all the grades.

Logic of English Essentials also has a 2nd year of "advanced lists" available free on their website -- there are even videos to go along with the first few of those. There are also lists of words sorted by phonogram you could use to make future lists.

I find that Logic of English has trained me as a teacher quite a bit as well, and after using it for almost two years I could take a list from almost any source, and then teach it the "logic of English" way. That is what I will most likely do for my DD next year after she finishes the advanced lists. I think I will use the Dictation Resource Book by Susan Anthony as source material for lists and dictation.

It's not a standard "ready to use each year" path, but if it is a method that resonates with you, it might be worth it.

Edited to add: this would just be for spelling, of course. I haven't really used LoE for grammar, but that would just be one year of instruction, then you would need something else.

We are using Learning Language Arts through Literature with my kids.  Blue for my first grader, Red for my ds10 who is at a 2nd grade level, and green for the teens.  The books focus on grammar, spelling, writing, literature and poetry, in the teen's book there is also a shakespeare unit and a research unit.  We really enjoy them.

There are tons of free writing books available on Google Books. I like the vintage ones because they do some copywork and dictation but they also get the kids writing early on, and I agree with you that that is a real drawback of WWE. Look for The Progressive Composition Lessons books 1-3 by Ida Brautigam. There are also free, vintage grammar books. I used Sheldon's Primary Language Lessons for my dd in 2nd grade. I liked it. It is more demanding than most of the current grammar programs I see for young kids which are, imo, just busywork. Btw, I really, really disliked FLL 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 are awesome and completely unlike 1 and 2. Were it me, I would dump grammar until your child is ready for FLL3. For spelling I used Wheeler's Elementary Speller (again, free from Google Books) for my dd. For my ds I use Apples and Pears. For diagramming we use this book.