Menu

Laptop shopping - suggestions?

SunnyDays

So, my laptop died. It wasn't unexpected (it was older) but still annoying. Luckily DH is an IT whiz and was able to save most of my files from the hard drive, but still time for a new laptop.

Have any of you purchased one recently you really like? Any that you'd recommend avoiding?

I considered a MacBook, but I think I'm sticking with a Windows machine. I want something that is a good balance between a bigger screen but lightweight... Something like one of the 14 or 15 inch Ultrabooks would be great, I looked online at some of the HP and Lenovo models.

Thoughts?? :)

I'm looking right now, too, and am focusing on Dell (I know some loathe Dell, but it's mostly all I've ever purchased and I haven't had any big problems), Toshiba and Asus based on reviews.  It's hard to find what I want/need though -- big screen (15.6" or above) but no extra numeric keypad on the side.  I also prefer Windows 7 over having to get Windows 8, from what I've read. I can't use a Mac with my work. 

I am waiting on delivery of my new HP laptop. I chose one of the Envy models. The other one I was looking at that is comparable is a Toshiba Satellite. I'm replacing a Toshiba Portege that i love, love, love but it's now got hardware issues after 3.5 years. The main reason I went with the HP is because of DH's employee discount. It saved us $100 when compared to the Toshiba. It took me two weeks to settle on a laptop. I just couldn't find one that spoke out to me. My new on is a touch screen so I'm kind of excited about that. I wanted to find one without a touch screen but that was hard too.

YOungest got as ASUS Ultrabook for Christmas, it is Windows 8.1 with touchscreen and I like it very much.

SSD so it is really snappy. 

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_VivoBook_S400CA/

I'm not seeing prices or how to purchase at the Asus website -- can you help me out?  What am I missing?  Thanks. 

Night Elf, I had been looking at the HP envy as well, and that's what I ended up getting. There are things I like, but the jury is still out on some things. I am not used to Windows 8 at all and really not sure I'm going to be a fan.

DH tried hard to talk me into a MacBook...

I'm worried about Windows 8 too. When I was shopping, an associate at Best Buy walked me through it on the Toshiba touch screen, so I have an idea of what it's like. I'm just too used to my Windows 7 now. I thought about a MacBook, but my son does all of his schoolwork on my laptop and all of his documents are in Word and Excel. I didn't know if they would transfer so I didn't want to take a chance of him having to replace all of his hard work. I hope I like that Envy. We're buying sight unseen and that's a bit scary. Glad to hear you like it.

I don't know, but if somebody can recommend a laptop that doesn't fall apart and croak after a year or two of use, I'd be all ears.

I have an HP Pavilion. It never leaves the kitchen table; i.e., it has an easy life, doesn't get a lot of abuse, but it is physically falling apart. There is a strip around the bottom half that has come of in pieces, so now when yo're typing on it, it rubs/cuts your wrists. Also, now the keyboard is shot--half the arrow keys don't work, and neither does the number pad. Prior to this one we had a Dell. It lasted longer, but not by much.

I know that the technology is basically outdated after a year or so, but really, is it too much to expect that the machine itself would last longer? Our home laptop is only used for surfing the internet and basic word processing programs. Nothing fancy.

I'm not seeing prices or how to purchase at the Asus website -- can you help me out? What am I missing? Thanks.

I don't know about their website but I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy an Asus at Sam's Club. It has a 1TB hard drive, 8GB of memory and a touch screen, it's $599.

The amazon reviews for the general model/series are pretty good.