Menu

SOTW- What to buy...

Check OpenLibrary.org for titles you can borrow online for free. It is especially good for those out-of-print.

I would also comb through your library's resources with a fine-tooth comb. Can you order books from other branches? Jot notes.

Are you an Amazon Prime member? If so, many of Demi's books are free to read via Kindle. Of course, Amazon's limits are horrible. Check into lending sites, if you have a Kindle.

Here's a list of books and other resources we used for Ancients. Scroll back to the beginning and read forward.

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/search/label/Ancient%20History

Paperbackswap.com is another option. GoodReads.com is great for reviews. Buy only the best books when you have to. OpenLibrary.org will probably get you pretty far, though. Start planning way in advance.

We have and used the following and borrowed books from the library:

The Story of the World, Vol. 1 (Ancient Times) [Revised Edition] - Paperback

http://peacehillpress.com/history-geography/the-story-of-the-world-vol.-1-ancient-times-revised-edition-paperback/

The Story of the World, Vol. 1 (Revised) Audiobook    ***(because Mom was slaughtering the names of the people and cities)

http://peacehillpress.com/history-geography/the-story-of-the-world-vol.-1-revised-audiobook/

Activity Book 1 [Revised Edition] (The Story of the World, Ancient Times) - Paperback  ***( Don't make the same mistake as me and order two copies of this, one for each kid.  If you have more than one child, buy one Activity Book and a set of student pages listed below for each extra child.

http://peacehillpress.com/history-geography/activity-book-1-revised-edition-the-story-of-the-world-ancient-times-paperback/

Student Pages, Vol. 1 [Revised Edition]

http://peacehillpress.com/history-geography/student-pages-vol.-1-revised-edition/

We have and used the following and borrowed books from the library: The Story of the World, Vol. 1 (Ancient Times) [Revised Edition] - Paperback

http://peacehillpress.com/history-geography/the-story-of-the-world-vol.-1-ancient-times-revised-edition-paperback/

The Story of the World, Vol. 1 (Revised) Audiobook ***(because Mom was slaughtering the names of the people and cities)

http://peacehillpress.com/history-geography/the-story-of-the-world-vol.-1-revised-audiobook/

Activity Book 1 [Revised Edition] (The Story of the World, Ancient Times) - Paperback ***( Don't make the same mistake as me and order two copies of this, one for each kid. If you have more than one child, buy one Activity Book and a set of student pages listed below for each extra child.

http://peacehillpress.com/history-geography/activity-book-1-revised-edition-the-story-of-the-world-ancient-times-paperback/

Student Pages, Vol. 1 [Revised Edition]

http://peacehillpress.com/history-geography/student-pages-vol.-1-revised-edition/

Yes, this!!

We're using SOTW3 now & have loved it from volume 1! I purchased SOTW4 for next year and decided to get the paperback used, activity guide & coloring pages PDF...plus I have invested in the audiobooks because my kids go to bed with an audiobook each school night. If I hadn't gotten the paperback used earlier this year I would've purchased the text in PDF as well and read from my iPad.

We started this year with SOTW1. My 8 & 6 have really enjoyed it. I bought the textbook, and the activity book. The only other book I bought with this was the Usborne Internet linked History Encyclopedia. That has been great! You go to their website and put in the pages you are interested in and then it takes you to different websites that correlate with what you were reading. Last week we found a game where we "dressed" gladiators and see if they won their freedom. My two have also really enjoyed the map work and love to find the same areas on our globe.

We started this year with SOTW1. My 8 & 6 have really enjoyed it. I bought the textbook, and the activity book. The only other book I bought with this was the Usborne Internet linked History Encyclopedia. That has been great! You go to their website and put in the pages you are interested in and then it takes you to different websites that correlate with what you were reading. Last week we found a game where we "dressed" gladiators and see if they won their freedom. My two have also really enjoyed the map work and love to find the same areas on our globe.

Can I ask which Usborne Internet linked History Encyclopedia? I googled it and quite a few came up. I love the idea though!

As you have a second child I would strongly encourage you getting the pdf of the activity book. It has all the students pages in the back. When we were doing history the first time around I would print 2 of the maps, or the coloring pages whatever. Little sis would sit at the table and "do history" with us. She had the same sheet as big brother. She just colored and put stickers on it while I was walking through the map work with elder, or reading. We have the text, the pdf file, and the audio on SOTW1. We got the encyclopedia as well, but honestly did not add that in until 3rd grade. 

I look ahead in the activity book and will sometimes put some books that are recommended and look interesting on hold at the library.

When you get to the mummification project, buy a Cornish Game Hen instead of a regular chicken!  :lol: It will fit in a large zip lock back and mummify much sooner! Plus, (at least the one we bought at Whole Foods) Cornish Game Hens do not come with any innards, so you eliminate any need for canonic jars. 

If you don't already have the SOTW books call Peace Hill Press and see if their scratch and dent sale is going on. When I called about a week ago they had TONS of SOTW stuff (everything I needed) and the prices were amazing. When I got everything nothing really looks all that damaged, maybe a little corner bend or something but nothing I would notice without looking for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Encyclopedia-World-History-Internet/dp/0794526888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392103593&sr=8-1&keywords=usborne+encyclopedia+of+world+history

This is the one. I have enjoyed it too. Colorful, interesting artwork. The girls will look at it for fun when we aren't doing history....

Thanks! 

As you have a second child I would strongly encourage you getting the pdf of the activity book. It has all the students pages in the back. When we were doing history the first time around I would print 2 of the maps, or the coloring pages whatever. Little sis would sit at the table and "do history" with us. She had the same sheet as big brother. She just colored and put stickers on it while I was walking through the map work with elder, or reading. We have the text, the pdf file, and the audio on SOTW1. We got the encyclopedia as well, but honestly did not add that in until 3rd grade. 

I look ahead in the activity book and will sometimes put some books that are recommended and look interesting on hold at the library.

I bought the PDF, the text, and the audio when it was on sale for Thanksgiving. That's a great idea, having my son do the coloring pages too. I never would have thought of that. 

When you get to the mummification project, buy a Cornish Game Hen instead of a regular chicken!  :lol: It will fit in a large zip lock back and mummify much sooner! Plus, (at least the one we bought at Whole Foods) Cornish Game Hens do not come with any innards, so you eliminate any need for canonic jars. 

Thanks! I'll try to remember this.

If you don't already have the SOTW books call Peace Hill Press and see if their scratch and dent sale is going on. When I called about a week ago they had TONS of SOTW stuff (everything I needed) and the prices were amazing. When I got everything nothing really looks all that damaged, maybe a little corner bend or something but nothing I would notice without looking for it.

Thanks! I'll try to remember that next year. 

I have the text, activity guide, and audio, too. I could have done it without the text if I had to, but it's nice sometimes to use the book to go back and re-read a few sentences if we missed something while listening and/or need to go back and clarify something. I have the hard copy activity guide, and I just copy what we are going to use on any given day. We do all the maps, but my son isn't really interested in the coloring pages, so I just don't copy those.

I have bought a few books here and there, usually used off Amazon. You can often find books from used booksellers for a penny, so they are $4 with shipping. But mostly I just look a couple weeks ahead, go to my library's online card catalog, and put a bunch of books on hold. That usually works pretty well. I did buy the Usborne Internet-linked Encyclopedia of World History (I got a used copy from Amazon for around $8). The version I have is the one smudge linked (below). The internet links are great for going deeper into content, tying in art history, finding and following rabbit trails, etc.

Really, you could go all out and spend a ton on extras, books, supplies for activities, etc., or you can keep it simple and just read/listen to audio, do a bit of discussion/narration, and maybe a map or activity or two. It's very flexible. I wouldn't buy a bunch of extras 'till you know how you will all like it and how it is going to fit into your routine (for example, I had big plans to do a lot of the hands-on stuff, but it just doesn't happen here. So we try to focus on listening to the text, narration/discussion, the maps, and extra reading from the supplemental literature suggestions and the encyclopedia/links).

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Encyclopedia-World-History-Internet/dp/0794526888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392103593&sr=8-1&keywords=usborne+encyclopedia+of+world+history

This is the one. I have enjoyed it too. Colorful, interesting artwork. The girls will look at it for fun when we aren't doing history....

I want to second whoever mentioned going through your library with a fine tooth comb.  You may be surprised at what you find.  If you have an online search feature get very comfortable with it and use precise search terms like "mummy", "pyramid", "pharaoh", ect.  Especially with kids your age picture books in the children's fiction section will be better in the end than the non-fiction finds meant for older children.  You are going for exposure more than fact.

I don't think a lot of "extra" reading is necessary.  I'd get a few books on Egypt from the library when you hit that.  Even a terrible library will have a few, it's a very popular subject.  I was also surprised how many books my mediocre library had on nomads/"cave men".  Similarly it's nice to have a few books on Greece and Rome when you get to them and they are often very easy to find.  A lot of things we simply read the SOTW and did a map, though.  

The only extra thing I would go out and buy because I couldn't find it at my library is a collection of Greek myths.  If only because my kids had so so much fun with them.  They talk about Odysseus and Hercules all the time.