Menu

Lego Movie?

TraciWA

Guest submarines

So you'd think it is age appropriate for a 5 yo? I briefly glanced at the reviews, and it said PG? DH wants to take DS9, and I wasn't sure whether DD5 should go with them or no.

So you'd think it is age appropriate for a 5 yo? I briefly glanced at the reviews, and it said PG? DH wants to take DS9, and I wasn't sure whether DD5 should go with them or no.

Yes, there is action and cartoon type violence. My four year old sat spellbound. He is big into Lego!

We loved it - we were ages 8 - 66!  Visually so interesting.  Lots of humor that kids won't get (like "micro-managers" being the evil force of "Lord Business!) that keep the adults entertained!

I can't think of anything that I would have objected to a younger kids seeing - the theater was FULL of younger kids!

We are going to the 10am showing tomorrow.  I would much rather make them wait, but it seems like cruel and unusual punishment.  Then again, the 13yo thinks having to get up early on a Sunday is cruel and unusual punishment, but she will have to get over it.  Here if you go before 12pm the tickets are only $5.50.  Did you guys see 2D or 3D?  Did you feel that 3D would make it better?

We went to the matinee this afternoon and loved it! It really was pretty innocent all things considered and what little innuendo there was was still tame, would go over the heads o young ones, and just be silly to older ones. Definitely worth taking the whole family to see.

My new favorite phrase, "Your mind is prodigiously empty."

We are going to the 10am showing tomorrow.  I would much rather make them wait, but it seems like cruel and unusual punishment.  Then again, the 13yo thinks having to get up early on a Sunday is cruel and unusual punishment, but she will have to get over it.  Here if you go before 12pm the tickets are only $5.50.  Did you guys see 2D or 3D?  Did you feel that 3D would make it better?

I went to the 2D as I don't enjoy the 3D as much. Our theater is 6.50 before noon. I miss when it used to be 4 dollars before noon!

Ds went with a friend yesterday. I don't think this is much of a spoiler. He liked it, but he was disappointed in some live action scenes involving real people. He felt it should be 100% Lego.

Hm. We thought that elevated the whole film.

Batman was hilarious. Do the rest of you have the song stuck in your heads?

Everyone enjoyed it here. I was not excited to be there and I still enjoyed it. 

I can't think of anything too scary for most little ones (***Really generalized spoilers: lots of action, lasers, falling, a character 'dies' and comes back as a ghost, someone's face is erased, people are frozen***) and we thought the innuendo was even less than usual. 

Hm. We thought that elevated the whole film.

Batman was hilarious. Do the rest of you have the song stuck in your heads?

My favorite lines of the movie were in the live action scene.    

We saw the 3-D version on Friday.  I don't know that 3-D is better than 2-D, but that's the version my birthday boy wanted to see.  We all enjoyed it.  Dh liked it so much that he requested that I buy the Blue Ray version as soon as it is released.  He wants to watch it again and again.   He has been singing the song.

My kids are at it right now.  They planned to see the 3D version, if there were tickets (it's been selling out around here).  The 18yo saw it Friday night in 2D, and was so charmed she decided to take her sister today.

The 18yo thought it was appropriate for a wide age range.  She was so excited to find a movie that is entertaining, has a decent message, and doesn't rely on sex and violence to capture the audience's attention.

We saw it in 2D this morning and glad we chose it.  The motion of the 2D was a little extreme and I just know my severely motion sick DH would have been dying in 3D.  As it stands though, I think he laughed more than the kids did but they all really liked it.  I thought it was worth the morning movie rate to see it in the theater.

We saw it this afternoon and all loved it! I very much liked hearing some of my favorite comedic actors doing the voices, and I thought the plot was quite clever. At one point, I was laughing so hard that I had tears in my eyes. I think I enjoyed it at least as much as my children.

We did see the 3D but only because when we went to see The Desolation of Smaug (a once-a-year splurge for the 3D IMAX version), the theater's power went out 20 minutes into it. So they gave us passes to come back for that, plus passes for any other movie (which was incredibly nice); they let us trade up the passes, so we only had to pay the difference of $3 per ticket for the 3D. It WAS pretty cool!

Oh I will say that if you want your kids to keep their Lego kits as pictured, might I suggest  you avoid this movie.  My most meticulous Lego builder came home and disassembled 3 little police car sets to make a police boat and plane out of it.

I'm surprised to see this movie is getting such good reviews. We've seen the trailer several times before other movies and it looks SO cheesy to me. I had pretty much marked it off my list of movies to see. Now I'll have to rethink it. I am concerned about name calling though. We don't see kids movies that have a lot of name calling. I can handle a few things, but I like to steer clear of a lot of name calling (this has helped my children TREMENDOUSLY. They've never called each other a name....hard to believe, but we just don't tolerate it and we don't see movies/books that involve a lot of it.) Has anyone noticed whether this movie has a lot of name calling? I looked on kids-in-mind and the review seemed to be that it does call quite a bit of names. What does everyone think? My 9 year old wants to see it.

I'm surprised to see this movie is getting such good reviews. We've seen the trailer several times before other movies and it looks SO cheesy to me. I had pretty much marked it off my list of movies to see. Now I'll have to rethink it. I am concerned about name calling though. We don't see kids movies that have a lot of name calling. I can handle a few things, but I like to steer clear of a lot of name calling (this has helped my children TREMENDOUSLY. They've never called each other a name....hard to believe, but we just don't tolerate it and we don't see movies/books that involve a lot of it.) Has anyone noticed whether this movie has a lot of name calling? I looked on kids-in-mind and the review seemed to be that it does call quite a bit of names. What does everyone think? My 9 year old wants to see it.

I didn't want to see the movie, based on the trailers. But I loved it! I can't wait for the video so I can see it again. The actual movie is nothing like the trailers, IMO.

The name calling didn't bother me,as it felt appropriate in context.

Re: real people in movie

That was the surprise twist with the movie, don't know that the plot would have worrked otherwise.

Batman and Emmet call names. For example, at one point Batman is talking to WildStyle and says something like, "I told you he was a dingdong!"

According to my kids, a 9 year old would probably be able to handle it.  But I can't imagine how you'd take your 9yo and leave the youngers at home.

I wonder, though, if it would be better to wait for it on DVD since it will be a smaller screen and thus less powerful.

By the way, my kids are wondering what movies you saw that showed trailers AND met your criteria for no name calling, etc.  

Indy and I saw it Friday night, and we laughed so hard it was ridiculous!  It was crazy funny.  We have been singing the song since we left he theater.

James Bond and Indy are there right now, seeing it in 3D.  James Bond was dying to see it, and Indy wanted to see it again, so they had some "guy time."  

This one movie we will buy on DVD, because I know we'll be watching it over and over.  I can't wait to see what extras they put on the DVD.

Oh man....only downside...we all have the song stuck in our heads!!!

Haha, so do we! My 2yo has been singing it all evening.

I think this was a great marketing job.  Even if the movie was absolutely horrible, you couldn't walk out of there thinking awesome thoughts.

My seven year old went to a birthday party where the mom took the boys to see it opening night (brave, brave lady :)).  I asked him if he like it, "Yes."  Do you want to see it again? "Can we see Frozen again instead?"   :lol:   So I'm not sure if he loved it or not, but he definitely loves Legos.  I love the new Yoda Chronicles, it is the only cartoon that I can stand to watch.

My husband and kids dragged me to it today.  I admit that I really wasn't all that interested in going based on the previews.  However,  I. LOVED. IT!!!  

It was entertaining enough for the kids, but had enough (clean) adult humor that DH and I actually laughed out loud at several points too, and...it was SO touching at one point that I even cried.  Like...real tears, streaming down my face like a big old baby.   (And even better - DH was all choked up and sniffling, too!)

Ds went with a friend yesterday. I don't think this is much of a spoiler. He liked it, but he was disappointed in some live action scenes involving real people. He felt it should be 100% Lego. 

This was my son's thought, however the other mom & I  *loved* the ending!  :D  

Another vote for an awesome movie.  :thumbup:

Took my kids today and we loved it.

We even had Taco Tuesday tonight.

Will Ferrell's character is exactly like my DH, so that really hit home for the kids.  Loved that the most super duper heroine was Lucy/Wild Style.  She totally out did all the boys.

Took my kids today and we loved it.  Yay!

We even had Taco Tuesday tonight.  Indy tried to talk me into Taco Tuesday, but I had already gotten something out for dinner.  I told him we'd have Taco-Waco Wednesday instead.  :)

Will Ferrell's character is exactly like my DH, so that really hit home for the kids.  Loved that the most super duper heroine was Lucy/Wild Style.  She totally out did all the boys.  Yes, she did!

Guest submarines

DH took DS9 and DD5.5 last night. DS loves lego, DD loves movies, but not crazy about lego. DH said that themes were too mature for her to grasp, and she was somewhat bored throughout the movie. So basically if your younger child is not a lego fanatic, the movie might be not as fun for him or her.

DH said the movie was okay, but he didn't love it. DS would love anything with lego involved in it.

DH said that the moral was quite interesting and worth pondering about, because he felt that even though it was set up as "creativity will always win", the ending was presented as "other skills are more important than creativity." Anyone else felt this way?