Menu

righstart old edition or new for Level B

Okay, trying to decide if I get the older editions or try the new, with the new you have to buy so many more manipulatives, that is the one drawback.  I have all the manipulatives I need for the old level B, at least most of them.  But..they added a lot more to the new B manipulative kit.

Just curious if anyone has compared?

Thanks!

Kim

I used the old A and am using the new B. I do have to say that the layout of the new edition is much cleaner and a bit easier to follow. The lessons are broken up much more evenly. Just the simple listing of what materials you need at the beginning of the lesson makes it a smidge more open and go. But the biggest reason why I bought the new version for B was that the resale value when I am done should be higher.

I emailed them to find out if all those manipulatives were really used in a. I already have many manipulatives and we will go into mm later so I am not concerned with level b. The response was that pretty much everything is used except the drawing board. Only the whiteboard portion is used. There was one other that wasn't used but I don't recall what it was ATM.I got the feeling that the rep may have been less than forthcoming about the games.

I ended up deciding to go with the old version (used) for which I already own nearly all the necessary manipulatives. If I planned to continue on in RS later (thus needing all the manipulatives anyway) I would have chosen the new edition because of the new layout and resale value.

I plan on switching to the 2nd Edition when we get to level B. I think there is a add on kit or bridge kit (I can't remember which is which) to switch from the 1st edition to the second, so you don't have to start from scratch. But you do need a whole new card game set, IIRC. It's expensive either way you go.

I have used the old RS Level B and the new edition of RS level A and a third of level B. I mostly switched b/c I preferred the layout and incorporation of more songs and poems in the new level A (I did not already own level A and was using it for the first time with my DS). I also liked that the new level B does more with subtraction, which was a major negative in the old edition and complicated switching to another program (my plan is to switch to Singapore for 2nd grade b/c I have the materials and the combo worked well for my older child).

I did not buy the manipulative set, and my math card games book (purchased separately a few yrs ago) was the correct edition. I just purchased the teachers guide/worksheets, and so far, the only mani. I have needed are the gram cubes. My local hs store sells the manipulatives a la carte, so that saves on shipping. I have used my base 10 set for a lesson in RSB b/c it was more intuitive.

I compared the two, and I found that the new version is better in many ways. Of course, the RS people believe it to be superior as well, when I asked them. I was looking to buy before it was available, and several RS folks recommended that I wait for the publication of B -- they felt the changes were that good. We worked with MM through the summer last year and picked up B in the fall. I think the presentation better than the 1st edition B that I looked at previously.