Menu

Shoes for 15 year old, are these pretty much the same? "special shoes?"

Prairie~Phlox

Ok, my almost 15 year old son was fitted for tennis shoes because he has a very high arch and was wearing his shoes unevenly.  I took him last fall to a local athletic store and ended up spending $125 on shoes just for him.  They were these shoes: http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=XM860SG3  There are also other M860 if you type M860 on the website.  They vary from $89.99 to some on sale for $39.99.  The only difference I can tell is between the 3 & 2 at the end of the numbers, the ones he got were a 3.  I'm just looking for the future and wondering how big of a difference the two styles are.  This is the wording:

m860 with a 3

Description
This highly responsive trainer has a performance fit and was developed for runners seeking premium cushioning and a moderate level of stability. The successor to the popular 760, the lightweight 860 features a dual density medial post, ABZORB® in the forefoot and advanced N-ergy® cushioning in the heel to give serious runners an edge.

Why is this product a "second"?
"Seconds" are brand new, and in the original packaging. Generally, these shoes have very minor cosmetic blemishes which may include an off stitch or minor imperfection in the dye. These styles meet New Balance specifications in every other way, and in no way affect the performance of the shoe. Our standard return policy is honored with these shoes. 

• 12mm drop: due to variances created during the development and manufacturing processes, all references to 12mm drop are approximate
  • Medicare / HCPCS code = A5500 Diabetic shoe
  • ABZORB® cushioning in the midfoot provides exceptional shock absorption
  • T-beam is a lightweight, flexible TPU shank engineered to deliver optimum torsional stability and arch support through a unique center beam design
  • Blown rubber outsole
  • Synthetic/Mesh upper
  • No-sew material application
  • Breathable air mesh
  • Medial Post consists of higher-density compression-molded EVA, located on inside edge of shoe, to help prevent over-pronation
  • ABZORB® Crash Pad allows enhanced motion control and stability within the heel
  • N2 low-to-the-ground cushioning technology is a responsive, durable, sustainable cushioning system in a low-profile execution
  • EVA foam based saddle
  • Medicare approved styles: M860SB3, M860GY3, M860Bk3
  • Color: Silver with Jazz Green & Black
  • Shoe Last: PL-1
  • Weight: 328.8 Grams (11.6 oz)

This shoes, has a 2 at the end and is on sale for $39.99, which is a pretty big difference.

Description
This highly responsive trainer has a performance fit and was developed for runners seeking premium cushioning and a moderate level of stability. The successor to the popular 760, the lightweight 860 features a dual density medial post, ABZORB® in the forefoot and advanced N-ergy® cushioning in the heel to give serious runners an edge. 

• Synthetic/mesh upper provides lightweight comfort and support
  • STABILITY WEB® delivers midfoot support and reduces the weight of the shoe
  • ACTEVAâ„¢ LITE premium lightweight midsole provides optimal resistance to compression set - 24% lighter than standard foam
  • Entire midsole made of Abzorb® FL provides unique lightweight shock absorption
  • Removable full-length insert of ABZORB® cushioning provides added comfort
  • N-ERGY® provides NB's most advanced shock absorption and cushioning
  • N-Durance® rubber compound for maximum outsole durability
  • Medial post located on inside edge of shoe to help prevent overpronation
  • Medicare approved colorways: SB2, RS2, BK2
  • Color: Silver with Blue
  • Shoe Last: PL-1
  • Weight: 336 grams (11.8 oz)

So would you assume they are pretty much the same shoes with very slight differences?  I told him when he needed another pair, we would def. just order online.  He says they are def. better and help him.

So would you assume they are pretty much the same shoes with very slight differences? 

Yes, I would assume that.  I might be inclined to call the company and ask specifically if there are any differences that a wearer would experience.

That's great that you found the shoes at such a discount!

• 3 years later...