Menu

anyone embroider/Sew?

Gamom3

I am looking at purchasing a embroidery machine and a serger. I am looking for good machines that I could possibly start a small business. I went yesterday looking at sewing stores but of course they show me the most expensive ones. BabyLock Spirit($3299) and the Viking Topaz 30(given that this one was on sale and was a sewing machine, but still very pricey $2500--included $500 of software). Babylock serger($1400) and the Viking Huskylock 21(on sale $699).

I over heard one lady say that she uses a Brother HE(I believe a 240) embroidery machine and is very happy with it and does well with her machine. I don't want to throw away money by purchasing a less costly machine and later need to purchase something else or spend a boat load of money and never recoup my cost of the machine. 

I was very impressed with the Huskylock 21. It did what I wanted it to do--roll hem and cover stitch. I do know that the babylock is easier to thread, but that does not cover the extra $700. I had a Bernina years ago and I sold it because it didn't do what I wanted and have never replaced it.

By the way I started looking not for just a small business but for our new granddaughter. I want to get back to my sewing and thought about this just to bring in some extra $$.

I am no expert but I do have an older embroidery machine that still works great.  It was one of the more expensive ones at the time.   If you look at features, most of the cheaper ones are quite limited in what they do.  

For example, mine has a floppy disc drive (yeah, I know, it is older!) but it allows me to download whatever I want from the internet that i can find (I use Emblibrary.com a lot) and stitch it out.  The cheaper models only allow you to purchase their own designs and use their cards.  Mine also uses up to an 8x10 hoop, many of the cheaper models only use smaller hoops.  Mine also is an excellent sewing machine, whereas some are only embroidery machines and only do embroidery.

Do a LOT of research and get the one that will LAST.  Mine was purchased in 2002 I believe and still going strong, on year 12.

http://www.secretsof.com/content/615

Thanks I did see that the Viking did go up to the 8x14 hoop, but does not have the bigger color screen and it was a sewing machine on top of the embroidery machine. I was curious if the sewing abilities would limit the embroidery but the sales lady said it did not. She said that she actually owned the Viking machine herself-(not sure if that was a sales pitch).  Of course the Babylock was nice(I told my husband it was like looking at cars for him) I know the Babylock has a good rep but the Viking was nice and it did have the larger hoops and the software included. The lady at the Babylock store said I didn't need software(very confused).

Thanks I did see that the Viking did go up to the 8x14 hoop, but does not have the bigger color screen and it was a sewing machine on top of the embroidery machine. I was curious if the sewing abilities would limit the embroidery but the sales lady said it did not. She said that she actually owned the Viking machine herself-(not sure if that was a sales pitch).  Of course the Babylock was nice(I told my husband it was like looking at cars for him) I know the Babylock has a good rep but the Viking was nice and it did have the larger hoops and the software included. The lady at the Babylock store said I didn't need software(very confused).

I have a Brother ULT model.  Babylock makes it.

The Viking is very nice too, as is the Bernina.  I also know people happy with the Pfaff.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those as long as you do your homework and get the model that will do what you need it to do.

Dawn

Do you mind me asking what brand your machine is?

I just bough a serger yesterday on sale at Amazon. It is a Brother 1034D for $184. Friends have recommended it as a great machine for hobby projects, which is all I plan to do with it. I figure if it breaks, I can buy many machines to replace it for the price of the expensive machines. If you plan to use it for business, then I would get an expensive industrial machine, and it will be a tax write off, so price is not a big concern.

An embroidery machine is on my list too, but all I know is that I want a 5X7 hoop capable machine that does not cost more than my first car. :) I will be checking back here for recommendations.

I'd also be careful with your dealer. Before you buy ask what their turn around for repairs is and how they handle it. In other words, if something goes wrong, do they expect you to drop it off for four weeks with the idea that they *might* get around to it before then, but it might also be 8 weeks. Are they the only dealer in the area who are certified to service those machines or are there others who can do it too?

This is doubly important if you're going to do this as a business. How long can you be without the machine if something goes wrong? It's what made me buy a Pfaff this last time instead of another Brother. The only Brother dealer within 45 minutes and when I wanted a simple tune-up they wanted me to drop the machine off for it to sit there for 4-6 weeks before they got around to it.

I'd also be careful with your dealer. Before you buy ask what their turn around for repairs is and how they handle it. I other words, if something goes wrong, do they expect you to drop it off for four weeks with the idea that they *might* get around to it before then, but it might also be 8 weeks. Are they the only dealer in the area who are certified to service those machines or are there others who can do it too.

This is doubly important if you're going to do this as a business. How long can you be without the machine if something goes wrong? It's what made me buy a Pfaff this last time instead of another Brother. The only Brother dealer within 45 minutes and when I wanted a simple tune-up they wanted me to drop the machine off for it to sit there for 4-6 weeks before they got around to it.

I was just going to chime in here with the same comment.

When I replaced my basic sewing machine six years ago, a seamstress friend suggested Babylock.  She was a convert from Bernina to Babylock so this had me sit up and take notice.

But when I went to the local Babylock dealer, I found the staff to be less than helpful.  I bought a basic Viking Husqvarna machine because of the local customer service aspect.  After purchasing the machine, I was enrolled in a new owners class (a free service).  Machines are repaired locally with minimal turnover time--although I have not needed to have any repairs done. 

So my advice is to test drive the machines, but also get a feel for customer service.  If you are sewing for business, the latter is critical.

Good advice! I am going back out today to look at the machines more. The Viking goes off sale today, but if I need to wait on the embroidery I am gioing to wait. That is a lot of money and I want to get as much advice and feed back before I spend. Like my hubby said it isn't like I can take it back. I do know something about sergers and what I want out of it.

I have a Babylock, and the automatic threading is goobered up on one side.  I need to take it in for a general check up -- the blade isn't cutting well, either, so it needs to be realigned or replaced.  BUT, I've used the machine A LOT even though I don't have a business.  And I know a place I can take it.

The woman who writes the Gorgeous Things blog loves her Juki, and recently said it's her favorite brand of serger.  It's interesting to browse sewing blogs and see what people say about their machines; many of them own multiple machines and spend a post writing about them.  Another place people talk about their machines a lot is patternreview.com

I was just going to chime in here with the same comment.

When I replaced my basic sewing machine six years ago, a seamstress friend suggested Babylock.  She was a convert from Bernina to Babylock so this had me sit up and take notice.

But when I went to the local Babylock dealer, I found the staff to be less than helpful.  I bought a basic Viking Husqvarna machine because of the local customer service aspect.  After purchasing the machine, I was enrolled in a new owners class (a free service).  Machines are repaired locally with minimal turnover time--although I have not needed to have any repairs done. 

So my advice is to test drive the machines, but also get a feel for customer service.  If you are sewing for business, the latter is critical.

Both had outstanding customer service. I do recall the Babylock store having instore service. I can not remember about the Viking though--seems like they said they did instore service, but not 100%.

I am looking at purchasing a embroidery machine and a serger. I am looking for good machines that I could possibly start a small business. I went yesterday looking at sewing stores but of course they show me the most expensive ones. BabyLock Spirit($3299) and the Viking Topaz 30(given that this one was on sale and was a sewing machine, but still very pricey $2500--included $500 of software). Babylock serger($1400) and the Viking Huskylock 21(on sale $699).

I over heard one lady say that she uses a Brother HE(I believe a 240) embroidery machine and is very happy with it and does well with her machine. I don't want to throw away money by purchasing a less costly machine and later need to purchase something else or spend a boat load of money and never recoup my cost of the machine. 

I was very impressed with the Huskylock 21. It did what I wanted it to do--roll hem and cover stitch. I do know that the babylock is easier to thread, but that does not cover the extra $700. I had a Bernina years ago and I sold it because it didn't do what I wanted and have never replaced it.

By the way I started looking not for just a small business but for our new granddaughter. I want to get back to my sewing and thought about this just to bring in some extra $$.

I love, love, love my

.  It is not cheap, but it is worth every penny.  (And this is from someone whose main sewing machine is a vintage '70's basic Kenmore, which a neighbor was putting out in their trash.  I am frugal.  The Imagine is worth the money.)  When you are sewing for money, time matters.  With the Imagine, you *never* have to set the tension.  Rethreading is super-easy.  Changing to another stitch is super-easy.  You can just sit down and start serging. 

Another thing to consider, if you will be hemming garments for customers, is a coverstitch machine.  I suggest the

; street price for a used one is around $500.  It easily does a professional double-needle hem that even works well on stretch fabrics.  (Babylock makes a combined serger/coverstitch, but I find having the two machines already set up is more convenient, so I can switch back and forth during a project without changing anything.)

Check out the videos I linked above to see a demo of each machine.

And I second the suggestion of patternreview.com, especially for information and lots of tips about coverstitch machines.

Another vote here for patternreview reviews!

I bought a Juki 654 from sewingmachinesplus.com this past summer. I have been very happy with it the few times I've used it. I've only sewn a few things, but the threading and the ease of getting the tension right makes a joy to use! I had a basic Singer serger before this and the finicky threading made me cringe any time I needed to use it.

Happy shopping! 

(on a side note...for me, sewing machine shopping is similar to selecting a baby name. It's fun to look around, but when I've got to make the final decision it's a little intimidating.)  :huh: