Menu

AAS level 1?

chelsmm

How does one know what level to choose? I'm considering AAS for my two.

DS is learning to read and doing well. He has had no spelling and does a little handwriting. He's 6. I would choose level 1 for him. Should I wait until he reads better?

Dd is 8 and reads on her own for about 30-60 min a day. She is at a 2nd grade or so level. She has done a little with spelling lists, but not too much. I'm not sure if level 1 would be too easy. It seems like one needs to start at the very beginning though.

I think the kids would like the tiles. And the cards.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I'd get level one and figure that your 8 year old will go through it but very quickly and then be ready for level 2.  Level 1 does have some good rules though k/ck, when to double a constant, when c says "s".  You'll want AAS 1 for your 6 year old anyway...

I am doing AAS with my dd and I would definitely reccomend starting with level 1. Especially if you grew up in the US in the 80's/90's! I honestly feel like I am starting my education all over with regards to spelling. And I did all sorts of spelling bees and competitions. Why did NOBODY tell me there were logical rules to all of the words I was spelling?!!

Really, even in level 1 you learn rules like when to double f, l, and s at the end of a word, 'no -ng for the letter e', open/closed syllables, and so much more.

It really is a building blocks program, and whilst your elder will likely speed through the words themselves in the first level, the rules and terms learned will be necessary throughout.

Yes, I get their own cards and a box to keep each set in. The cards make it insanely simple to remember where each child is at, what needs to be reviewed, what's been mastered, etc. 

In terms of whether to do it with a child who isn't reading fluently, I would be very hesitant unless maybe the goal is to teach phonics to a child who learned to sight read or something? There just isn't much of a point to teaching spelling to a child who can't read pretty well--better to focus that time on getting reading to a fluent level. While I can see the appeal of starting AAS with both kids at the same time, the reality is that your older child will very rapidly outpace the younger child anyway so I'm not sure you'd be gaining anything by starting them together. 

So definitely level one. But they each need their own cards, I assume. I was hoping to do WRTR with the kids, but I am pretty sure I want it all laid out for me. AAS seems to do that nicely.

Is it ok to start AAS when ds isn't fluently reading yet?

I'm finding that AAS is bolstering my daughter's reading level. It is a lot of reinforcement of phonograms and how words are put together. We started using AAS when she was at about late-kindy reading level.

I agree with the others about starting with Level 1 for both. My son went through level 1 very quickly, and honestly I rarely used the tiles or cards. You might be able to skip getting the second set of cards for your daughter if you think you're going to go through it quickly--my kiddo really only wanted to do it by writing on the white board. Of course, if you think your child would really want to use the cards, that's a different story.

I think you could use AAS 1 with a new-ish reader if they have a decent grasp of basic phonics and can read fairly well, if not fluently. My son started AAS at the same time we dropped our phonics program.

Is it ok to start AAS when ds isn't fluently reading yet?

Yes.

I started AAS1 with my kid who was already reading, and I ended up skipping through a good bit of it. It starts out with just reviewing the sounds of the letters. I wished I had started it a lot earlier.

They won't ever go at the same rate, so I don't mind starting with dd first. I thought it might help ds to read, but I guess it isn't really like that. He's doing fine with OPGTR.

If I buy cards for level one for dd and she finishes before he starts, can he use the same cards or does she keep her cards for all levels?

It is really hard to use the cards with 2 kids at once, as soon as you get the program you will see why.

However...

I would just get the one set. Just do it with dd, she really will fly through the program. Have ds in the room coloring or something or watching if he is interested. When dd finishes you will have an idea if he is ready to start then, or later. If dd is taking awhile going through the program and ds seems like he is ready you can always order an extra set of student cards later.

To give you a guideline. The recommend starting AAS1 after they have finished AAR1 and before AAR2. Look at the readiness tests for those programs to see where your ds is in his reading. (the readiness tests also give goods ideas to supplement OPGTR.

Best.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm going to start dd alone since chances are she will fly through pretty quickly.  I am in no hurry to start ds, so he can wait until she is through with the cards.  Then I can start him.  I checked out the placement tests for AAR, and he would be ok to start AAS any time.

So, I ordered everything and can't wait to get started.  :)