Menu

Would you eat these potatoes?

Pegasus

I have a bag of potatoes that have a thin slightly dark ring on the INSIDE of the potato when I cut into it.  I'm thinking it is bacterial ring rot from the pictures I can find (see the third picture down on this page labeled "ring rot on potato tuber").  Online information is aimed at farmers and I can't find anything that states definitively that it is safe to eat or not.

It won't let me  add the link. Hmmm. . .picture a pencil line drawn in a circle around the inside of the potato. That is what it looks like.

I would, but I also raise my own potatoes.  When one I've raised has ring rot, we eat it because I know it was picked and stored properly.

Store bought potatoes?  I would if there was absolutely no sign of rot.  Any sign of rot --- out it goes.

Well I know nothing about potatoes but I've eaten potatoes many times that look like the ones in trulycrabby's photo. We've never gotten sick from them. It never even occurred to me that the ring indicated a problem so if yours are like the photo, yeah I'd eat them.

This. We're still standing, if that helps. :0)

I don't know if I would use this article to determine whether or not they are safe to eat, but here's an article on ring rot with a photo in it:http://magicvalley.com/business/agriculture/ring-rot-found-on-some-magic-valley-farms/article_998199cf-0864-5c7f-bb05-2972ea77b774.html

That article says that it affects the appearance of the potatoes, but is not associated with health concerns. I would interpret that to mean they are safe to eat.