Menu

Can anyone suggest a WWI documentary or movie...

We enjoyed the Young Indiana Jones series. If you get the DVDs, there are tons of documentaries that go along with the episodes. We used it with the late 1800s to 1920s. Google " Indy in the Classroom" for more info (not easy to link on my phone, sorry). The trench warfare parts were pretty intense, but my daughter was 12 and had no problem.

We enjoyed the Young Indiana Jones series. If you get the DVDs, there are tons of documentaries that go along with the episodes. We used it with the late 1800s to 1920s. Google " Indy in the Classroom" for more info (not easy to link on my phone, sorry). The trench warfare parts were pretty intense, but my daughter was 12 and had no problem.

Funny you should suggest this. I just erased the Indy classroom link from my bookmarks. At this very moment my 12yo is upset with me because I'm not letting her pause History Odyssey and instead listen to SOTW (I plan on listening to all four volumes at the end of the school year as a last hurrah before retiring them.) 

Maybe I should go upstairs and offer her a pause in HO to watch indy... Between watching the Civil War doc and the Dust Bowl one, I think she loves history documentaries way more than HO.

I have to admit, being that they grow up so fast, it's making me smile that she's angry about not getting to listen to SOTW. Lots of love to Susan and her mom. :) 

I'll have to go find that website again. Added the shows back onto Netflix.

Yeah, that's the one I thought of too. Then I read the scathing reviews in Amazon, YIKES! What's up with that??

Have you watched it? 

Are you sure it's the same one?

http://www.amazon.com/Great-War-Shaping-20th-Century/dp/0780623088/ appears to only be available on VHS

There's another one that has really low ratings, but I don't think it's the one by PBS.

Well my son is huge on WWI and WWII (he is nearly 10).  

For all the extreme detail that it provided, he liked CBS News documentary World War I narrated by Robert Ryan, but it can be long (run time is 660 minutes).  We broke it up into one episode a day, but DS sometimes insisted on watching more.  

One that isn't quite so detailed but is very informative is World War I in Color narrated by Kenneth Branagh and published by Athena Learning (run time 284 min.).  

Both kids liked the movie Fly Boys, set in WWI and very loosely based on real life.  You can see and study a lot of the technology with regards to the start of air warfare.  There were a couple of scenes we fast forwarded through because content was a bit inappropriate for us, but might not bother anyone else.  We enjoyed the movie.

If you want to approach WWI from a bit different perspective, you could look at the Faberge eggs and how WWI affected Faberge. The kids enjoyed watching A&E's documentary The Czar's Faberge Eggs and as a more direct tie-in with WWI and the Romanov family, as well as getting a bit better understanding of how the Romanov's fell along with what happened afterwards, you might watch the movie Nicholas and Alexandra.  The pacing was a bit slow at times and the movie is long so we broke it up over 2 days, but since we had already studied a lot of WWI we found ourselves frequently going "OH, so THAT was what was happening in Russia!"  And if you pay close attention, you will see TONS of people that went on to be well-known actors.

Thanks everyone! I've added a a ton of stuff to Netflix, Amazon Instant, and my library queue.

Not sure if these are any good, but I also found:

War Game

The Basket

The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele

Porco Rosso

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (Red Baron vs Snoopy  ;) )

The African Queen

I know the girls will sit through and enjoy a long documentary, so I wanted to add a bunch of fun stuff too. 

War Game is very lovely, though we opted to read the book.

I strongly second Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.  It's so in depth and historically detailed.  And it covers so many aspects of the war.

Should I start from the beginning of the series or sort out certain ones? I added it back onto our queue last night, I think we have them all. 

Should I start from the beginning of the series or sort out certain ones? I added it back onto our queue last night, I think we have them all. 

They're in historical order on Netflix and all but a couple of them are there.  The original show jumped around (and was introduced by an elderly Indy in the present day) but they were re-edited into 2 hr. "movies" awhile back.  The early set follows him when he's a young boy with his father in 1908 taking a tour of the world.  The first one, where he meets Lawrence of Arabia and goes on a dig with Howard Carter is referenced repeatedly and Ned (aka T.E. Lawrence) turns up several more times, so you might do that one, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Spring Break Adventure is the first one with him as a teen.  I do think you need to see that one for context, though it's about racecars and inventors in the first part (Edison is featured) and the Mexican Revolution (Pancho Villa and Gen. Pershing are in it too) in the second.  But it sets up how he decides to join the Belgian Army.  The next couple are in England and Ireland.  And then off to the trenches.  Lots of dark episodes there.  Then to Africa.  Then back to the trenches.  Then as a spy all over the place.  The ones where he has spying misadventures (dancing with the Ballet Russe and Diagialev and consorting with British comedic actors playing spies in Barcelona and then trying to install a telephone in Prague with Franz Kafka) in Espionage Escapades are soooo funny.  Don't miss Winds of Change, which finishes the war episodes - Indy attends the Versailles conference (and hangs out with Ned again, plus Gertrude Bell and he tries to help Ho Chi Mihn!).  But within all that, I think you can skip some.  They do go in order, but there are a lot of them.

We just finished these, which is why they're so fresh in my mind. :D

They're in historical order on Netflix and all but a couple of them are there.  The original show jumped around (and was introduced by an elderly Indy in the present day) but they were re-edited into 2 hr. "movies" awhile back.  The early set follows him when he's a young boy with his father in 1908 taking a tour of the world.  The first one, where he meets Lawrence of Arabia and goes on a dig with Howard Carter is referenced repeatedly and Ned (aka T.E. Lawrence) turns up several more times, so you might do that one, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Spring Break Adventure is the first one with him as a teen.  I do think you need to see that one for context, though it's about racecars and inventors in the first part (Edison is featured) and the Mexican Revolution (Pancho Villa and Gen. Pershing are in it too) in the second.  But it sets up how he decides to join the Belgian Army.  The next couple are in England and Ireland.  And then off to the trenches.  Lots of dark episodes there.  Then to Africa.  Then back to the trenches.  Then as a spy all over the place.  The ones where he has spying misadventures (dancing with the Ballet Russe and Diagialev and consorting with British comedic actors playing spies in Barcelona and then trying to install a telephone in Prague with Franz Kafka) in Espionage Escapades are soooo funny.  Don't miss Winds of Change, which finishes the war episodes - Indy attends the Versailles conference (and hangs out with Ned again, plus Gertrude Bell and he tries to help Ho Chi Mihn!).  But within all that, I think you can skip some.  They do go in order, but there are a lot of them.

Oh goody! We just studies Ballet Russe. I love Kafka, sounds like a good assortment of people and places... I think we should just watch them all. Thanks for the info!

Could you please be more specific? I tried to find this and am overwhelmed by the number of things with similar titles. 

It's this book.  It's about a group of friends who start by playing soccer on a village green and end up playing soccer in the Christmas truce in No Man's Land.  It's implied they all die at the end.  The images were really nice.  But there's a short animated version and I can't find it now.  I saw part of it on Youtube before and thought it looked faithful to the book, but we had already read the book so I skipped it.

This is the film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Game_(film)

It's this book.  It's about a group of friends who start by playing soccer on a village green and end up playing soccer in the Christmas truce in No Man's Land.  It's implied they all die at the end.  The images were really nice.  But there's a short animated version and I can't find it now.  I saw part of it on Youtube before and thought it looked faithful to the book, but we had already read the book so I skipped it.

This is the film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Game_(film)

Thank you -- that's what I turned up, but I thought that wasn't it. My library has both the book and a DVD version. And I realized that when you and Helena were talking about where she should start in the series, I thought you were talking about War Game, when you were in fact talking about Young Indiana Jones. Oops!

Yay! Bonus, indeed. Wait, you weren't complaining about BC, right?

He freaks me out.

We just finished watching Zeppelin Terror Attack from Nova (PBS) with our 7yo.  It is NOT an all encompassing exposition on WWI, but it discusses the bombing of London/Britain for 2-3 years, in which the British could do NOTHING to knock down these airships that were bombing them.  How terrifying!!!

Most of the documentary is the technical journey of what the zeppelins were made of, and how to create a bullet and a strategy to knock these behemoths out of the sky.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want background of how Britain changed before and after the war, I adore Flambards.  It is a 10 part series based on the books by K.M. Peyton.  The story begins with a teenaged, orphan Christina sent to live with her cousins at the family estate: Flambards.  In theory, she will marry the older brother and her inheritance would  prop up the old way of life (hunting, servants, horses). The younger brother is interested in new ideas of personal worth (rather than privilege of birth) and airplanes.   By the end of the series, Christina is running Flambards as a functioning farm.

I'm not sure that I would assign it as "History," but we would watch it in the same year as Early Modern as background of the Edwardian period.

Here it is on Netflix.

Thank you for posting this, Farrar. I'd never heard of it. Ds and I watched the first one today. 

Just a heads up about War Horse.  If you have an emotional child, it might be too much.  I let my dd watch it at 13, and she cried and cried.  I thought she could handle it, but it really upset her.

YMMV

Ah thanks! My kids can watch intense things, but they have little tolerance for animals suffering. It makes nature documentaries hard to find.  :glare:

I'll be sure to turn it off quickly if they can't handle it. 

We just finished watching Zeppelin Terror Attack from Nova (PBS) with our 7yo.  It is NOT an all encompassing exposition on WWI, but it discusses the bombing of London/Britain for 2-3 years, in which the British could do NOTHING to knock down these airships that were bombing them.  How terrifying!!!

Most of the documentary is the technical journey of what the zeppelins were made of, and how to create a bullet and a strategy to knock these behemoths out of the sky.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want background of how Britain changed before and after the war, I adore Flambards.  It is a 10 part series based on the books by K.M. Peyton.  The story begins with a teenaged, orphan Christina sent to live with her cousins at the family estate: Flambards.  In theory, she will marry the older brother and her inheritance would  prop up the old way of life (hunting, servants, horses). The younger brother is interested in new ideas of personal worth (rather than privilege of birth) and airplanes.   By the end of the series, Christina is running Flambards as a functioning farm.

I'm not sure that I would assign it as "History," but we would watch it in the same year as Early Modern as background of the Edwardian period.

Here it is on Netflix.

Thanks! I just put Flambards on hold at the library. It looks like it's right up their ally. They love those long historical-ish, based on books, British series.  :001_smile:

We'll watch the Zeppelin one later this week. Bookmarking it now so I don't forget.

How do I get it? This site doesn't sell anything: http://www.indyintheclassroom.com/lessons/young_indy/index.asp

Bonus material would be documentaries?

Thanks!

Yes, something like 19 hours of documentaries. They are packaged in the box sets of the seasons. I think we got ours from Amazon--at least one was a gift. I don't know if Netflix has the dvds or not.

Sergeant York

Legends of the Fall. Just joking. :lol:

Gallipoli

Lawrence of Arabia

The Red Baron

Hunter, we just finished watching Sergeant York... It was so, SO good!! Thanks. :)

It was a perfect night for a good movie and a good cry. :tongue_smilie: