Menu

Arg! So annoyed--yarn content

Moxie

I was knitting away last night with some cheap Red Heart yarn and about half-way through the skein was a knot where they had put two pieces together!  I'm so annoyed!  Is this why people ball their yarn??  I wish I could afford to only use the really good stuff.

Yup, the good stuff is allowed 2 knots per skein. If there are more than that you can switch it out for another skein. Of course that only helps if you're winding at the yarn store. Whatcha making?

I was making an afghan, so many balls of the same brand.  2 - 3 of them had way more than 2 knots in them, but yes, are you going to wind it in the store to figure that out?  By the time you do, you have already dealt with the first two knots and moved on.

Serious flaw in that policy.

I was knitting away last night with some cheap Red Heart yarn and about half-way through the skein was a knot where they had put two pieces together!  I'm so annoyed!  Is this why people ball their yarn??  I wish I could afford to only use the really good stuff.

Ugh! That stinks! If it makes you feel better, It's not just the cheaper yarns that do that. I was knitting a scarf with Noro ($17/skein- ouch!) and was almost finished with a row, when I came to a knot. Fortunately, I was able to tink back far enough to untie the knot and re-join the yarn. (Yes, I know this story doesn't really make you feel better, but at least you know you're not alone.)

I hate knots in yarn balls!  Hate them!  I wish there was better quality control amongst all the brands out there.  I've never run into a single brand I have used that didn't have a knot somewhere (individual knot free balls, yes, but not consistently within the brand).  Luckily with crocheting it isn't quite the same problem as I assume knitting is, but it is still a royal PIA.

I was making an afghan, so many balls of the same brand.  2 - 3 of them had way more than 2 knots in them, but yes, are you going to wind it in the store to figure that out?  By the time you do, you have already dealt with the first two knots and moved on.

Serious flaw in that policy.

The yarn store will wind for free if it is in a twisted hank but I haven't had them offer when the yarn was in a center pull ball already.

I don't really mind knots. I just figure that one leaves a flaw to keep the devil out. :lol:

Allowed by whom?? Because, when I buy the good stuff on Etsy, it NEVER has knots. At least that I've come across. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Can I get some links to the shops you like on etsy? I haven't bought yarn on etsy, I just keep window shopping because I am not sure whose looks the nicest/softest. My LYS closed *sob*

I was knitting away last night with some cheap Red Heart yarn and about half-way through the skein was a knot where they had put two pieces together! I'm so annoyed! Is this why people ball their yarn?? I wish I could afford to only use the really good stuff.

Bah! I have the good stuff and I STILL knit with Red Heart because there are projects it is perfect for.

But if you want good stuff on the cheap check out your local thrift shop. Unravel a merino sweater and then knit it up again as something else!

Can I get some links to the shops you like on etsy? I haven't bought yarn on etsy, I just keep window shopping because I am not sure whose looks the nicest/softest. My LYS closed *sob*

I had a good experience buying sock yarn from Unwind Yarn Company. (She used to be on Etsy but now has her own store front.) I got the Journey Sock and it's really soft and squishy. And so far it's held up in the washer though I do air dry as recommended. I haven't tried her other yarns.

I've also bought from Gynx Yarns but haven't actually knit this up yet.

Bah! I have the good stuff and I STILL knit with Red Heart because there are projects it is perfect for.

But if you want good stuff on the cheap check out your local thrift shop. Unravel a merino sweater and then knit it up again as something else!

I know a gal who does this. She is amazing! She makes some beautiful things.

Some of the cheap stuff has a lot of knots and some doesn't.

Recently I crocheted up three skeins of Caron One Pound (800-ish yards per skein).  Two skeins were knot-free; one skein had one knot.

Compare that to Loops & Threads Charisma (Michaels store brand).  I knit five scarves which used two skeins each (100-ish yards per skein).  A couple of the skeins had no knots.  The rest had one or two knots.  The yarn knit up into stripes with a good long distance before the stripe pattern started over, and it was a PITA to try to get the stripes to work out right.  I have resolved NEVER to use this yarn again.

Deborah Norville Serenity Chunky is similar to Loops & Threads Charisma and is close in price.  I knit three scarves with Serenity Chunky, each of which used two skeins (100-ish yards per skein).  Of the six skeins, one had one knot.  The rest were knot-free.

I never knew there was an allowed number of knots. My yarn store will also wind twisted yarn, but I don't think they'd rewind it if it's already in a ball.

I don't like Red Heart because it's itchy. For most of my projects Caron Simply Soft works just fine. However, I live where winter clothes are a novelty rather than a necessity, so I can afford to use yarn that might not keep you warm.

I never knew there was an allowed number of knots. My yarn store will also wind twisted yarn, but I don't think they'd rewind it if it's already in a ball.

I don't like Red Heart because it's itchy. For most of my projects Caron Simply Soft works just fine. However, I live where winter clothes are a novelty rather than a necessity, so I can afford to use yarn that might not keep you warm.

Do you find it itchy even after washing? It changes character completely after being thrown in the washer and dryer. Of course you'd have to knit a while thing first to get to that point....

I have some Red Heart because it is really inexpensive to whip together a child's sweater and does soften up after washing. But I can't stand the feel of it in my hands while I knit so I've moved away from using it. (I have also moved away from trying to knit sweaters. ;) )  I like Knit Picks basic worsted wool, but buy most of my yarn from Jimmy Beans online when they are having a sale.  I also like Webs online for sales and find a few good deals at Noble Knits and Hot Yarns.  I tend to stick with Jimmy Beans though because I like their processing and reviews. 

Do you find it itchy even after washing? It changes character completely after being thrown in the washer and dryer. Of course you'd have to knit a while thing first to get to that point....

I haven't tried that, so I don't know. Thanks for that though. I do have some Red Heart, so I might make a decent size swatch to wash. Then I'll know without having wasted a lot of yarn (even if it is cheap)

This has nothing to do with knots. I'm thread-jacking (yarn-jacking?) here. I was 1/2 inch from the toe decreases of a sock - with real sock yarn, mind you, not the cheap junk I usually use- when I dropped a stitch. I tried not to panic. I tired to pick it back up. But it just kept going. And the more I tried to fix it, the worse it became. I couldn't get it back in the right place. And so, here I sit, having frogged almost an entire sock. :crying:

This has nothing to do with knots. I'm thread-jacking (yarn-jacking?) here. I was 1/2 inch from the toe decreases of a sock - with real sock yarn, mind you, not the cheap junk I usually use- when I dropped a stitch. I tried not to panic. I tired to pick it back up. But it just kept going. And the more I tried to fix it, the worse it became. I couldn't get it back in the right place. And so, here I sit, having frogged almost an entire sock. :crying:

I feel your pain!  :grouphug:  I had a similar experience recently with a hat. There were yarn-over parts and I had the hardest time figuring it out so I ended up ripping the whole thing out and starting over. Then on the second try I got the decreases wrong. And I had to rip back. Again. This time I was able to salvage most of the hat. I figured out that I could rip back to a certain point where it gets a little easier to release one stitch at a time and put it back on the needle. At least it worked with this pattern as there were rows that were all knit stitch.

And those are the reasons I crochet.  At least when I make a tiny mistake, I just have to go back to it and start over from there.  Oh, and I hit a stupid knot in an "I Love this Yarn" ball at the beginning of a baby blanket, this could be a long blanket at this rate.