Menu

Did you have a gateway book to homeschooling?

Each subculture has it's own fears and ways. The Gateway book that will be the most helpful is the one that allays the subculture's worst fears, and shows an example of days and schedules that look possible with the resources of the subculture.

My husband's fear was that homeschooling would give our kids a subpar education.  When I read excerpts from TWTM to him, he said, "Well, if you give them THAT education, you can homeschool."  I probably won't give them THAT education exactly, but TWTM definitely was the gateway book for him.

My "gateway" book was The Teenage Liberation Handbook, which I read just before I graduated high school. I was like, well, too late for me, but I'm totally doing this with my kids when I have them!

Same for me, only I read it while in college.

Eta: It's sitting on my nightstand right now. I'm going to read it a second time nine years later to see what I think about it now.

Same for me, only I read it while in college.

Eta: It's sitting on my nightstand right now. I'm going to read it a second time nine years later to see what I think about it now.

I just realized that I'm wrong.  I read The Teenage Liberation Handbook just after college and enjoyed it, but the very first book that made me even see homeschooling as an option (for my future children) was My Ishmael by Daniel Quinn.  He's got a whole chapter on unschooling if I remember correctly.  I love Daniel Quinn!

I convinced my husband that we needed to homeschool by having my child demonstrate what she was learning at school for math. He chaperoned a school field trip to the zoo and saw how the other kids at school were acting, and he couldn't pull her out of there fast enough.

The WTM was the book that convinced me I could do it. I recommend it to others and tell them to read the first few chapters, and the rest of the book is resources when they need it.