Menu

DS is having a problem with reading - need help

So, we are moving along ETC quite nicely and he is learning the rules and remembers them fairly well.

However, he has a VERY hard time with breaking down bigger words.  Book 4 covered certain rules and he did OK, but still has a hard time with syllables, where they start and end.

I could go back to doing Book 4 but I really don't think that would help as he already gone through those exercises a number of times.

Are there any other resources I can use to reinforce/learn better just this particular thing?

He even does great with reading a whole sentence as long as it doesn't have any 3+ syllables words.

Suggestions, please!!

Thank you

We were having major problems with this very thing. My daughter is eight. I bit the bullet and got her All About Reading 3, though I was worried it would be too much review for her. It has made a world of difference. I posted about it on my blog including a video of her breaking a word into syllables. 

Part of the problem was that I didn't know what I needed to know to help her. I am feeling much better with my skills and can help her out now.

We were having major problems with this very thing. My daughter is eight. I bit the bullet and got her All About Reading 3, though I was worried it would be too much review for her. It has made a world of difference. I posted about it on my blog including a video of her breaking a word into syllables. 

Part of the problem was that I didn't know what I needed to know to help her. I am feeling much better with my skills and can help her out now.

Are you me???  Yes, I have no idea how words break into syllables.  I mentioned this a few times - English is not my 1st language and while I think I did just fine graduating from college and getting a Master's degree and writing papers and working for many many years- well, I don't know the basis of grammar rules at all.  I always just had a "feel" for it, and never really had to learn it.

Did you buy everything for level 3?  Teacher's manual, student packet, etc? It would be over $100 and I just want to make sure it is worth it.

Yes, I have no idea how words break into syllables. I mentioned this a few times - English is not my 1st language and while I think I did just fine graduating from college and getting a Master's degree and writing papers and working for many many years- well, I don't know the basis of grammar rules at all. I always just had a "feel" for it, and never really had to learn it.

Your written English is better than some native speakers that I know, especially male friends with computer science, engineering, etc. backgrounds! What is your native language? You might enjoy my phonics lesson 27, it explains English in the context of the Languages that contributed to it. This lesson also reviews all the syllable division rules quickly, they are taught in more detail in earlier lessons.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/Phonics%20Lsns/phonicslsnslinks.html

We just bit the bullet and bought All About Reading 2, my dd is 6.

There are placement tests on the site, if you are considering it, make sure you get the right level.

It has made a world of difference here. My daughter loves the games, and has a positive attitude towards reading now. For me, that makes the program worth it.

I would agree that 5.5 is a bit young to worry so much about breaking words into syllables. My almost seven year old isn't doing that yet, and I'm not worried at all.  :) (He is in AAR Level 1.) But I do love that AAR teaches me what I need to know to do it, because like you, I really had no idea.

Yes, I bought everything and it was $100. I bought both levels at once, so it was quite the feat to convince my husband that these were necessary. ;)  They have been worth every penny and then some. We have used the All About Spelling program for over a year, so we did have the letter tiles already. I love that it is laid out for me -- open and go. I love that it is mastery. I love that they are so darn successful with it!

I took three semesters of Russian in college. Your English is far better than my Russian would ever be!!

Pam, it's  not a fair comparison.  I was born over there and didn't come to US until I was almost college age.  My Russian BETTER be better than your Russian :)

We started AAS 1 and he really enjoys it.

I know I probably came off as I am really worried about it - it's not that.  I just wonder how did it make sense for ETC to do 3 word syllables in book 4 and then go back to simpler rules/lessons in book 5.  At first, I was going to skip book 4 (I actually had a thread about it on here), but I guess it's the OCD part of me, I just couldn't do it.  We are doing on-line version, so I can move back and forth between books and parts anytime.

In any case, I might just not to anything for now and see where he is when we are done with the whole program.  Although, I will read Elizabeth's blog.

I am sooooo tempted to get AAR, but I promised myself to get a handle on how much money I am spending on curriculum and other HS stuff.  It was getting out of control there for awhile and my oldest is not even in 1st grade yet LOL

Pam, it's not a fair comparison. I was born over there and didn't come to US until I was almost college age. My Russian BETTER be better than your Russian :)

We started AAS 1 and he really enjoys it.

I know I probably came off as I am really worried about it - it's not that. I just wonder how did it make sense for ETC to do 3 word syllables in book 4 and then go back to simpler rules/lessons in book 5. At first, I was going to skip book 4 (I actually had a thread about it on here), but I guess it's the OCD part of me, I just couldn't do it. We are doing on-line version, so I can move back and forth between books and parts anytime.

In any case, I might just not to anything for now and see where he is when we are done with the whole program. Although, I will read Elizabeth's blog.

I am sooooo tempted to get AAR, but I promised myself to get a handle on how much money I am spending on curriculum and other HS stuff. It was getting out of control there for awhile and my oldest is not even in 1st grade yet LOL

I read the same thing about skipping that book and coming back to it later but, like you I didn't. Like you, he just wasn't getting it. ETC was always kind of a back up and/or reinforcement so I was glad I have something else to fall back on, I think it's all pretty common to get stopped up here for a bit.

I read the same thing about skipping that book and coming back to it later but, like you I didn't. Like you, he just wasn't getting it. ETC was always kind of a back up and/or reinforcement so I was glad I have something else to fall back on, I think it's all pretty common to get stopped up here for a bit.

Are you using ETC at all or just using LOE?

My ds seems to get bored with curric after awhile, no matter how much he likes it. So, we were primarily using Foundations B but adding some ETC3 as practice for variety. We started ETC4 because he was really excited about it and it just wasn't enough. He was getting really frustrated. So, I just got Foundations C and we are starting it next week. I'm going to focus only on it for awhile. He seems to have flipped to liking it again and I certainly like having more teaching points and explanations ready for him.