Menu

What are you currently reading aloud?

Kidlit

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome Thread! My library request shelf will be bursting with books next week!

We are wrapping up the Viking Quest series with the last book titled Raider's Promise (Christian content/worldview). Our entire family has LOVED this series and we've read it straight through. We'll sigh with contentment when we're done and it will be hard to move on but we will =). Wishing our beloved characters would live on in books FOREVER!

We pretty much finished rereading all the Bill Peet in our local public library last night and I'm hoping ds will let me keep on with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. He fell asleep after 9 pages last night and movies tend to ruin books for him, but this book looks so much better than my beloved childhood movie.

We're listening to a great series right now - The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place. It has some wry humor that younger children probably wouldn't get but my 10 year old daughter is enjoying it. The audio cds are really good if you can find them at your library (first book is called The Mysterious Howling).

We pretty much finished rereading all the Bill Peet in our local public library last night and I'm hoping ds will let me keep on with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. He fell asleep after 9 pages last night and movies tend to ruin books for him, but this book looks so much better than my beloved childhood movie.

DD listened to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as an audiobook and absolutely LOVED it.  Keep going.  It'll catch him.  

• 2 weeks later...

We're reading Tanglewood Tales by Hawthorne.
Fifty Famous Stories Retold as an audiobook in the car. 
DH is reading them Tales from the Odyssey, just for fun. 
DS wants to do Favorite Norse Myths as a read-aloud, so we might start that today, also. 
And always a ton of picture books/poetry/fairy tales for the little ones. 

DS6 read aloud- The Magic of Oz, by Frank Baum. Taking way too long because for the past month I've had a cough that makes reading out loud hard. But it's finally clearing up. Excited to finish the full Oz series in two more books and move on to more of your great suggestions. We've been working on Oz for too long. And although I have really really enjoyed them, I'm starting to be ready for a different type if story.

Listen aloud- SOTW 1 and 2

With DD I recently finished Flora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo (this year's Newbery winner).  I was glad we read it together so we could discuss the attitudes and family dynamics of various characters in the book...but it is a great read and a very funny story. Now we are reading A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck.

With all the kids we just started Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan.

We loved this, but goodness, prepare for the tears (mainly me ;)). Really great read-aloud providing a way to discuss difficult topics.

I read it years ago so am somewhat prepared but yes, we are having to stop often to discuss the book. My oldest is absolutely engrossed in though and has sat practically on top of me so that she can ask questions.

We finished listening to the first Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place books (recommended - fun books) and Magic by the Lake. Now we're listening to the first Harry Potter book and I'm reading aloud The Twenty-One Balloons.

Can I just say I'm loving this post - I'm finding more books to add to my list.

We finished listening to the first Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place books (recommended - fun books) and Magic by the Lake. Now we're listening to the first Harry Potter book and I'm reading aloud The Twenty-One Balloons.

Can I just say I'm loving this post - I'm finding more books to add to my list.

We love the incorrigibles!

I'm reading Lad: a Dog (public domain book by Albert Payson Terhune) to ds now while I can still edit-on-the-fly a few minor references to racism that he doesn't need to know about. There isn't much, but ds gets upset when he catches me not reading the exact words on the page (like saying "man" when the text says "negro", etc.) so I'd better get in as many older books as I can while I can. :(

He's less likely to read the kindle over my shoulder than a physical book, so that's the silver lining of selling my APT books for groceries a few years ago. Hopefully there will be more on Project Gutenburg soon, since he only hit the public domain last year. I do NOT recommend Bruce for younger kids who don't have the historical context of the WWs, since there are some pretty heavy anti-German stereotypes/wartime propaganda in it.

I'm reading Lad: a Dog (public domain book by Albert Payson Terhune) to ds now while I can still edit-on-the-fly a few minor references to racism that he doesn't need to know about. There isn't much, but ds gets upset when he catches me not reading the exact words on the page (like saying "man" when the text says "negro", etc.) so I'd better get in as many older books as I can while I can. :(

My kids have been on to me for that for a long time. I had an unfortunate sequence of events (well, bizarre might be a better word) related to listening to Andrew Lang's Fairy Tales books -- I didn't realize how many stories had negro characters popping up, almost entirely as servants. Or negresses. Goodness. I now read words like that with a certain tone of voice. The series I really wanted to read them included a reference to the other n-word, although it wasn't actually about people (the sequel to The Family from One End Street -- the pig has 10 black piglets, the chapter title made my jaw drop; it's the same as the Agatha Christie novel that is now called Ten Little Indians), anyway although they quite liked the first one, we just never finished the second one, so we never got to that chapter. My kids hate when I change stuff or leave it out. Very awkward. I was NOT going to read that, so there would have been a showdown. 

There's a random negro character in Elizabeth Goudge's The Runaways (also titled Linnets and Valerians), which I read about somewhere on here, maybe, because the kids are tutored at home by their retired schoolmaster uncle. Anyhoo, the (faithful servant) negro's name is, of course, Moses Glory Glory Hallejulah. Sigh.