Menu

Writing With Skill 1 or IEW Student Writing Intensive Continuation Course A?

travelgirlut

So my 4th grade daughter is not in love with writing.  We started in 2nd grade with WWE and went through WWE3 with lots of tears and fighting before we gave that up.  This year we've tried a multitude of things: 6-Traits from Evan-Moore, online class through charter school, and finally hit on a gem, IEW Student Writing Intensive (SID-A).  This has been working better than anything else we've used so far, but we're not very far into it yet to make a long term decision.

However, I'm having to buy my curriculum for next year within the next month or two before I have much of IEW under my belt.  As much as I like IEW, the DVDs are a little annoying to both my daughter and me.  We don't like being told something we can read much faster.  BUT, it's working and I don't want to mess up a good thing.  On the other hand, I like that WWS is written to the student and seems to follow similar methods to IEW, and it leaves behind the narration/dictation that caused such tears in the past.  BUT I've also heard it's quite difficult.

So what I'm wondering is if should we continue on with with IEW and get the SICC-A and continue to put up with the DVDs?  Or should we move over to WWS1?  I don't want to leave gaps in her learning, so I'm honestly willing to do both, SICC-A followed by WWS1, if that is a better sequence.

Does anyone have any wonderful pearls of wisdom for me on this one?  Anyone used both and can give me some perspective?  Thanks for any help you can give!!

Amanda

I use IEW with my "not thrilled about writing" kids. Our history:

DS1 used IEW for grades 5,6 and 7. We did some WWS compacted at the end of 7, beginning of 8. He did great in WWS at the time, but wouldn't have in grade 5.

DD1 used IEW lightly in grades 3 and 4. She is a strong, natural writer and I mostly let her do her thing. She started WWS this year in grade 5 and is doing very well with it.

DS 2 is a reluctant writer and will use IEW for, at least, grades 3,4 and 5. At that time I may switch him over to WWS.

So, I think that IEW provides a structure and scaffold that children who don't take to writing thrive under. I think WWS would be more difficult than it needs to be for a 10 year old who doesn't like to write.

I also don't think you need to worry about gaps in her writing learning at this point. Worry about her learning to write a strong paragraph. This can be done with either program--but, imo, is more straightforward with IEW. Then, by seventh grade, make sure she is writing essays. You can fill in any "gaps" in types of paragraphs/essays in eighth grade. But, likely, there won't be any.

• Like 4

If the IEW DVDs are annoying to both of you, what about some of the other IEW books that don't have DVDs? If you call and talk to them I'm sure they could make a suggestion if you're not sure of whicih options to consider or can't get to a curriculum fair to see things first hand. Although *you* may need to have a better understanding of IEW (with the teacher resources) if you don't go the SICC DVD route. 

• Like 1

I haven't been there yet, but faced a similar decision. We did SWI a this year and it really worked for my three kids. So much better than anything we had tried before. And I think a lot of it is they enjoy, or get more out, of the video. So my decision was whether to go with another IEW book, like fables and fairy tales or ancient history, and still continue IEW but without the videos. Or do SICC a. I decided to stick with what I know is working and getting done well, and will buy SICC A.

Agreeing with previous posters. My DS used WWE4 and then IEW in 4th and 5th grades, prior to starting WWS in 6th. He could not have done WWS in 5th without many tears and frustration. Waiting until 6th made a world of difference. He's getting so much more out of it now by waiting for that extra year of maturity to kick in. Some may say try WWS1 anyway and put it away for later if its too much, but that type of approach kills my DS's confidence and makes him think he's failed. The longer I homeschool, the more I see that we try to do too much LA too early, IMO, and it doesn't get us to a better place any faster. Being on the other side of the transition to WWS, I'd advise you to stick with IEW for a bit longer if its working. You know your DD best, so go with your gut. Try the other age-appropriate IEW products besides SWI/SICC if the videos annoy you. (I know Pudewa's style isn't for everyone.) Either way, IEW makes a nice bridge into the challenge and rigor of WWS, when the student is ready.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input!  We did a lesson today in our IEW, and it really cemented for me that we just need to keep going with this next year.  She wrote an entire long paragraph from her outline without one complaint.  I'm glad I decided to come here and ask this question because I was all set to dive into WWS1 next year, and now I'm not going to.  I went ahead and placed an order for SICC-A.  As much as we find the DVDs annoying, it's necessary, since when I try to teach her directly, bad things happen.  :)  The DVDs are life savers around here.  Then we will move on to WWS1 after we finish SICC-A.  I feel good about this plan.  Thank you all again for helping me think through this!!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

This is a great old thread I would like further guidance on.  My kids are doing IEW themed based writ5ing this year and enjoying it.  For next year I am torn between the WTM online class "Writing Prep for Espository Writing" or doing another year of IEW before Espository Writing (WWS1) in 6th grade.

I have on child that struggles with writing and one that loves it and does very well

Anyone have any thoughts?  Pros or con? 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is a great old thread I would like further guidance on. My kids are doing IEW themed based writ5ing this year and enjoying it. For next year I am torn between the WTM online class "Writing Prep for Espository Writing" or doing another year of IEW before Espository Writing (WWS1) in 6th grade.

I have on child that struggles with writing and one that loves it and does very well

Anyone have any thoughts? Pros or con?

Bumping! What did you decide to do?