Menu

Transcripts for Part-time home-schooler

stephanie

We recently took ds18 out of public school, Nov., actually. So when we took him out, we finished up the semester with the same subjects he was doing at school, which were actually electives. He also started private school at that time so he will have a transcript for all his core classes. I'm just unsure how to document his classes from when I took him out of school? And will the public school document on his transcript that he took those classes at least most of the first semester? Sorry if this is confusing. I'm just confused by how to do this. My plan is to create a transcript of our own for his first semester of his senior year, documenting all the classes he took at private school, then what he did when he came home.  Then the private school will have a transcript for the remainder of the year and I will document that with his electives that he's still completing. Clear as mud?

As a place to start... it might be good to try to meet with both the public and the private school counselors to find out what they will put on their transcripts and what it will look like. Every school has their own rules for how they note that students have withdrawn from school and on how they note credits completed at other schools. So, understanding what they plan to do is a good place to start. Some private schools may be willing to bring those homeschool credits over on to the private school transcript and that would probably be the ideal solution, but it is really just up to the school policy how that is handled.

If he started at the private school, when he withdrew from the public school, you could use both transcripts.  Colleges have a tendency to ask for transcripts from every school attended anyway.

If he started at the private school at the start of the next semester, so he would lose a semester's worth of grades, I would just do a homechool transcript, including all courses (with an asterix or something indicating which courses were taken where), and attach the other two transcripts to it.

I would not expect (but you can always ask) the private school to put the coursework from the public school on their transcript or issue a diploma for only one semester of school.

:grouphug: It sounds like he will be graduating from your homeschool. Is that the case? If so, I'd do what was suggested already and create a full homeschool transcript for him and have the other transcripts from the sent separately. I also think it's a good idea to know what those transcripts from the schools will look like. If you are graduating him, then you are also accepting those credits (or some of them) he did elsewhere, so they should go on your transcript IMO. 

:grouphug: It sounds like he will be graduating from your homeschool. Is that the case? If so, I'd do what was suggested already and create a full homeschool transcript for him and have the other transcripts from the sent separately. I also think it's a good idea to know what those transcripts from the schools will look like. If you are graduating him, then you are also accepting those credits (or some of them) he did elsewhere, so they should go on your transcript IMO. 

He will be graduating from home; he's only taking part-time at the private school. However, it's only electives that he's having to take at home so it's not that difficult. I just wasn't sure if I needed to combine transcripts or just add it to the one I created. It's just so confusing to me...

He will be graduating from home; he's only taking part-time at the private school. However, it's only electives that he's having to take at home so it's not that difficult. I just wasn't sure if I needed to combine transcripts or just add it to the one I created. It's just so confusing to me...

Yes, I think you just need to make one master transcript and include those credits he took at the private and public school on your transcript. I think once you do this and see it all put together nicely, it won't seem confusing at all. :) Look at it this way: When homeschoolers take college classes or other outside classes, those classes appear on the homeschool transcript even though the colleges or outside providers can send transcripts.