Menu

IYO: What is The Latest You Could Start Composition...

Gil

In Your Opinion: What is the latest age/grade you could wait to start composition with your students?

I found out today that I a friend of mine who teaches grade school feels that writing compositions shouldn't be taught until beginning 3rd grade for most students. It could be taught earlier for those who are interested or later (mid 3rd grade) who aren't really interested. She thinks that starting compositions later will not negatively impact their writing abilities in 6th grade. This friend thinks that gradual, systematic spelling (Gr. K-2), handwriting (Gr. K-2) and very basic punctuation and grammar (Gr. 1-2) is sufficient for the average student to prepare them for gradual, systematic writing AND will get them up to par by 6th grade. Does that sound right? What do you think?

My personal opinion is that there is no exactly "right" time to start teaching composition.

In my case, my oldest is 10 and I honestly do not feel he is ready to begin a formal writing curriculum. I will probably start one with him within the next 1-2 years, around or at the same time as I start with his sister. She will be in 3rd next year, but is way too rough in her spelling and vocabulary skills for me to even consider starting composition next year.

On the other hand, my 5yo DS2 may be ready to start learning composition and grammar alongside his older siblings in a year or two. He is much stronger in language and reading than they were at his age, so it remains a possibility for the time being.

So much of when to start teaching composition, writing, grammar, etc depends on the child. Some kids are ready to start at  6 or 7, and other kids aren't ready until 11 or 12. I believe that logic stage (usually started between 9-11, roughly 4th grade if in the US) is the best time to begin. By then, most kids are reading independently, you've hopefully had enough to time to do some phonics, penmanship, spelling, maybe some grammar and vocab, and plenty of reading. Also, you are probably past the hand-holding stage...unless you're like me and have two really needy older kids with LDs.

These are just my opinions, based on my experiences.

I figure when kids have got the hang of handwriting, it's time to focus on spelling.  When they can handle spelling common words, it's time to focus on punctuation. When they've got that under control, it's on to paragraphs.  Once that's mastered, begin working on essays.  In other words, I teach from smallest to largest... letter to word to sentence to paragraph to essay.    Of course, you could keep on working on one area while shifting focus to another, but it seems silly to try to get a child who can't write a sentence to try to write a paragraph. Or a child who is working on forming letters to also try to spell the word correctly. With my kids, kindergarten and first was when letters were mastered, first and second was when spelling was the focus, second and third grade was when we worked on punctuation.  Fourth and fifth grade were great times for learning paragraphs and now in middle school, we're on to essays.  I think some kids could have a different readiness for these skills, but these ages feel about right to me.  Currently, my kids' essays are of the five-paragraph variety... either summarizing, persuading or comparing/constrasting.  In a year or two, I think they'll be ready to branch off of these template types of essays.

In Your Opinion: What is the latest age/grade you could wait to start composition with your students?

I found out today that I a friend of mine who teaches grade school feels that writing compositions shouldn't be taught until beginning 3rd grade for most students. It could be taught earlier for those who are interested or later (mid 3rd grade) who aren't really interested. She thinks that starting compositions later will not negatively impact their writing abilities in 6th grade. This friend thinks that gradual, systematic spelling (Gr. K-2), handwriting (Gr. K-2) and very basic punctuation and grammar (Gr. 1-2) is sufficient for the average student to prepare them for gradual, systematic writing AND will get them up to par by 6th grade. Does that sound right? What do you think?

:iagree: with your friend. Wholeheartedly.

I don't remember doing "composition" until seventh grade. We had to *write* before then, but it was things like alphabetizing our spelling words, then writing sentences with them, then writing stories with them. I understand that that is a kind of "composition," but focused, purposeful *composition,* not until 7th. I think I write pretty well. :-)

A composition is a logical structure and, generally speaking, a logic stage activity. About 5th grade for the average student seems like a fine place to start. As for pre-composition exercises, there are a lot of theories out there. You might find SWB's audio lecture on writing in the elementary years helpful. She lays out a very clear plan for how a rigorous regimen of copywork/narration/dictation exercises builds the skills that will be needed for later generating content and conveying it with the written word. You could also listen to the Bravewriter podcast about the "Jot it Down" and "Partnership Writing" stages: http://blog.bravewriter.com/2013/07/21/the-natural-stages-of-growth-in-writing/

I'd even say 3rd is young for "composition" in the traditional sense, but if we're talking sentences, paragraph writing, or simple reports, that might be fine. I too look more at the student's skills than at grade level for making this kind of determination. Start with handwriting, spelling, activities like dictation (of words they can spell) to build up stamina, phrase and sentence writing, and build up as the student is ready.

One of the active volunteers at my state homeschool organization said she never really did any formal essay writing with her kids at all, and her son just basically wrote his first essay on the community college entrance exam, and did fine . . . I couldnt go that far.  But my 10 yo has not started yet.  Language arts is a terrible struggle for him.  He's only started doing dictation last year, and it still sometimes makes him cry.  If i'd been homeschooling my daughter, i still cant imagine starting before 3rd grade.  Unless she wanted to.