Menu

MUS epsilon. Does each child need fraction overlays?

matrips

I would not buy multiple sets.  I had to force kids to use them, and ended up only forcing their use when it was clear they didn't quite have the concept.  Unless your kids love to use manipulatives...I would consider it a tool that could easily be shared.  Even if they all use them, they could take turns with them.  (Others will probably answer differently, but that's my opinion.)

I bought the overlays when my oldest dd was doing Epsilon.  The overlays are used for instruction, mostly.  Occasionally the workbook says "Do this with your fraction overlays and then write down the answer . . ."  So, technically, the student needs to use them while doing their work.  However, if your students can share them while doing math at the same time or else do math at different times (or understand well enough to not need them) there is no reason to buy two sets. 

Think of them like the blocks of MUS - for instructional use, occasionally needed to help see a concept, but certainly not used like a personal calculator.  At least, that's how we have used them.  :)

HTH!

Mama Anna