Menu

School profile

OP: you might want to search in the College Board subforum. The topic of school reports came up several times last fall when some posters were working on the Common Application where a school profile is needed.

Here are a few threads:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/482788-school-profile/?hl=%2Bschool+%2Bprofile

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/467396-what-is-a-high-school-profile/?hl=%2Bschool+%2Bprofile

Yes, it is for the college board.  So far, I just took their example and altered it a bit for homeschool.  

My headings are:

contact info

community and school info- I put history/philosophy/mission here- it was actually fun to put this into words, I'll have to read over it   later to make sure it is okay to share!

curriculum- I put graduation requirements by subject with number of credits here

grading scale- I just wrote out what an A, B, C, etc. with a statement to say that we teach to mastery

college attendance history- we don't have one yet- maybe I'll add for the next kid

extracurriculars- just listed what she did

I left out the average SATs, demographic information, and class ranking information....

The profile is mostly silly busywork, but I did enjoy being asked to write out a mission statement and history of the school.

I really can't wait until I have college attendance history to add in the future!!

I didn't find it busy work, but I also did not write ours like a school would.  (though it took me ages to write it in a way that I was satisfied with!)  Ours is a very personal history of how we started homeschooling, my educational philosophy and how that philosophy translates into coursework that is not typical of traditional schools, examples of my strengths as a teacher and what my kids have accomplished at home, areas where I am weak and have sought outsourced options for the kids, my older kids' current post-homeschool situations, and why I believe that my kids have received the best education available to them.

Posting it would be pointless b/c it wouldn't reflect anyone's homeschool but our own.   Mostly, I just fully embraced the fact that our profile would not look like a school's and made it shine for what it actually is.

FWIW, the profile is not for the College Board which is the entity responsible for SAT and AP testing.  Certain universities expect a school profile to be submitted along with a counselor letter (I used this to expand on our profile except focusing specifically on our sr).   If you apply to schools that use the Common App, they will require it.   We also submitted it to MIT (which does not use the CA).   I did not send it to the individual state universities that did not use the CA.

After scouring these boards, I wrote ours up to use in oldest dd's admissions. Like a pp, we didn't attempt to make it look like a school profile. Instead I used it to give info admissions officers we met had said they liked to know about homeschoolers (why and how did you do it.)

It contains:

Homeschool Philosophy - explains three main reasons we homeschool (social development, educational philosophy, and effective use of resources) and how each effects what we do

Curriculum and Grading - list of how we cover each subject area and how we evaluate their work in that area

Credits - explanation of how we determine credits (hours, number of CC credits per HS credit, etc.) and GPA

For the Common App, I didn't upload anything for the school profile and instead copied the first and the second/third sections into the corresponding spots for homeschooling. For the other schools that wanted materials faxed/emailed, I sent it (it's two pages) with the transcript, "counselor letter", and course descriptions.