Menu

Moving Beyond the Page???

CCelebi

Has anyone used this curriculum for their younger ones?  I have a 2, 4, and 6-year-old and am seriously considering using this curriculum. It looks comprehensive yet flexible and a lot of fun.

I would love to hear reviews about what you liked and didn't like about Moving Beyond the Page - I have read many, many reviews on the internet and they all seem very positive. I do, however, value all of your opinions as I am interested in putting a classical "spin" on any curriculum I end up using.

ALl feedback is greatly appreciated!

Christina

Do you mean using it to include the 2 and 4 year old? I did try to use the 5-7 level as an out-of-level curriculum with an advanced preschooler and it was a miserable flop. But I won't bore you with details if you are meaning it to use with the 6 year old and keep it around for the others when they reach the typical age of use :)

Jackie, if you feel like sharing, I would love to know why you didn't like it for your preschooler. My intention was to get the 5-7 for my 4-year-old and the 6-8 for my 6-year-old. I was planning on just letting my 2-year-old go along for the ride :)

I tried the 5-7 level for my 3 year old. At the time, she had first grade reading and math skills, could handle science at any early elementary level, and had typical 3yo fine motor skills, just to give you a frame of reference.

The biggest issue I had is almost all the "hands on" activities included a level of fine motor skills that would be appropriate for an average 6yo, a slightly advanced 5yo, or a notably advanced 4yo. Many/most hands on activities started with "draw a picture of...", expected that the picture would be at least a vaguely recognizable animal or something, and that is not where my daughter was at. I could always adjust these to get to the idea of what they wanted by having her cut and paste pictures or give detailed descriptions of what she could envision in her head but not get down on paper. But given the volume of exercises that included "draw a picture of...", it was a LOT of adjusting and a lot of extra work for me.

This brings me to my second issue, and the reason I probably won't return to the curric later for her. MBTP always gets such great reviews for being multisensory and using a multitude of approaches. Needing to adjust the fine motor skill stuff made me realize the repetition in most the activities - read this, then discuss this part, then draw/illustrate something about what you are learning. Where was the "explore" or "go out and discover" or even much of the "create"? Where was the "physically use your body"? Ok, so it wasn't "read this and fill out these worksheets", but neither was it the awesomely *creative* curriculum I was hoping for.

I used 5-7 last year when my oldest two were 6&7. I wouldn't use it for a kid younger then 5 because of all the writing. I didn't find the concepts too young for them or the work too easy.

For a 4yo I would use their new Kindergarten program. I chose not to use it for my own 4yo this year but that was because He is just not interested in that type of work yet.

The older levels require a lot of writing and if you start your kids too early you run the risk of hitting a wall where they can't keep up.

You could just buy one or two units to try. Keep in mind that they get harder as the year progresses so units from the beginning are easier then those at the end.

We liked it well enough. We will only be doing select units this year as opposed to the whole thing like we did last year. I just have too many other things I want to try.

My kids all use MBtP. My 4yo wanted so badly to have his own school work to do like his sisters, so I got him the 4-5 year program this year. He knows his numbers and letter, and does pretty well writing them. We've had so much fun with it though, and I really like that they've provided materials for both kids that are already comfortable writing letters, and those that aren't. Every week has a story book, and a bunch of fun activities to do to accompany the book of the week. We cuddle up and read our book every day, and he just thinks he's such a big deal because he has his own MBtP box to work on like his sisters.  :)

Last year, I stopped using the program to try out some different things. We did fine; however, work seemed a little more tedious than it did with MBtP. I sat down with my eldest one day and brought up some subjects that she work on the previous year with MBtP, and I was a little surprised to find exactly how accurately she was able to recall all of the concepts and projects that we worked on. The program really does a great job of making things stick - at least with my kids it does. dd10 still has her plants that she worked with in level 7-9 when she learned about water pollution. 

The program is writing intensive. I can see how that would be problematic with some kids, if writing isn't there thing - my kids have not had any issues with the reading assignments or writing thus far. 

I would suggest getting just one concept, instead of buying an entire level, to see if it works for you. They have wonderful customer service, and will gladly help you decide which levels would be right for you, if you need. There is also a great Facebook page called Differently Schooled who use Moving Beyond the Page. You'll find lots of families there that use the program on all levels that could answer your questions in greater detail. MBtP website also has a forum section where you could make inquiries as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

We have used many of the literature units. We have enjoyed them and the kids seem to retain things well. I wouldn't attempt to use them for preschoolers (though I haven't seen the new younger units). My kids are accelerated and I use the range that starts with their ages (so I used age 7-9 for a 7 year old). I feel like they will get more out of it if you wait (for the younger ones, anyway). Again, I haven't seen anything below the 7-9 level, but I wouldn't use that level with a 5 or 6 year old - so I'm guessing the same for other levels.

We usually use mbtp for every other literature book. This allows for some of my own writing instruction and mixes things up a little. I'm excited for my younger to use some of the units I did with my older child. :)

I have just started using the 5-7 curriculum for my 6 year olds and they seem to really like it.  My biggest challenge has been feeling like I need to memorize the instructions each day and then teach the concepts with the exact terminology used in the directions.  The teaching process doesn't seem flexible yet for me, maybe I'm going about teaching MBTP in too restrictive of a format. 

As far as age appropriateness, my kids are in their K year and I like how this curriculum has multiple options to adjust for ability level with different levels of projects depending on how much reading and writing my kids have achieved.

I used the first half of the 5-7 level when DD was 4, after using FIAR for a semester. It fit pretty well, but felt a little repetitive and comparatively schoolish (?) (I guess, it's hard to find the right word and remember that far back.), so we didn't continue with it except for the occasional lit unit since. I'm still open to using it, considering it for DD's 6th/7th grade year, but we aren't quite there yet. I just ordered the 9-11 poetry unit to use as a break from her regular writing program. I'm kind of excited about it, I love poetry, but don't feel that I could put together a decent, age-appropriate poetry curriculum on my own.