Menu

Gifts for 50th birthday party? For guy.

matrips

We are invited to a friends 50th birthday party that they are having at a casual restaurant (private room). What would you bring? How much to spend if gift card? His wife sent out an email saying he doesn't need anything but gift cards to things/places he like would appreciated. She sent this out to the invite list, apparently because some people asked what to bring. Dh and I are invited, no kids. Reminds me I still need a get a sitter!

Before I lived in Texas, I would have brought a great bottle of wine or high-end scotch or something I know he'd like/use. That doesn't go over as well here in the Bible Belt though ... go figure, LOL ...

So I'd do a $50 GC to a niche/boutique store or $100 GC to a restaurant, depending on how close the friendship is.  Maybe a token gift if I knew what his interests were: golf, cooking, Coke, or whatever.  Everyone loves Harry & David, you could have something delivered the day before or of the party?

Depending on how close you are, I'd spend $25 to $50 on a gift card. (We're on a budget, so that's why I probably wouldn't spend more than $50.)

Starbucks, movie theater, Lowe's/Home Depot, iTunes might be good choices.

Another option is to make a donation in his name if you know of a specific charity or organization that is near & dear to his heart.

A fun gift is to give a lot of little baggies of 50 things. My sil did this with my fil, and I also did it with my uncle. My fil loved it (as did everyone else at the party) but my uncle didn't get it, so make sure the humor of this gift will be appreciated. Some suggestions are 50 Hershey Kisses, 50 pennies, 50 paper clips, 50 pencils, 50 almonds, 50 nails, etc.

Are gifts really expected? We'll hit this landmark with dh this year, and while we're toying with the idea of a celebration, we just want to treat our friends to something nice. I had not even considered that people might give gifts and wouldn't expect that--I think I would feel guilty if they gave us a $50 gc to somewhere. But we do have a casual culture here. One gift that would be perfect for my dh is something that I saw a friend do for another friend's 40th b-day--a really good chocolate bar. It's an extravagant brand of chocolate, but really pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, they are paying. It's a sandwich/deli kind of place. But big, with private room for catering.

Yes, they do expect gifts. The wife had written the email with gift suggestions (in response to people asking for ideas she said). I guess it's a good thing she did; I would have never really considered gifts for an adult otherwise. We only do kids in our family generally. But it was just asking for gift cards. Trying to get a feel for how much and other options. I personally hate gift cards. It feels just like giving money.

It is giving money so your feeling is spot on! It's also tacky to send that kind of email when 'some' asked for gift suggestions. 

I think she suggested that because they don't want to end up with baggies of 50 paper clips, or 50 Depends diapers. I have been to parties like that and at the end, the birthday boy/girl looks at the pile of stuff as if they have no idea what to do with it.   

I like these ideas. I really prefer regular gift giving. Thanks.

What about music or a book from his birth year?

New York Times Bestselling books from 1964

Top 100 Hits from 1964

ETA: Here are some highlights from 1964. Perhaps something will inspire you. I see that Dr. Strangelove, the movie, came out then. So perhaps a movie from that year.

Regards,

Kareni