Menu

Help me make the most out of my trip to Europe!

Abbeygurl4

I am going to Europe with my 11 yo dd!! My sister and her husband are taking us to London, Paris, Rome and Florence for about 17 days end of May beginning of June.

Are there any books we should read before we go. We want to have fun, but I sure would like to slip some learning in! What things should we see for sure ? I ordered a bunch of Rick Steves' travel books, but I'd also like to read up on history so we can better understand what we are seeing. We will be in Paris for almost a week so we'll see the Louvre and Orsay and Orangerie Museum and then Rome for 3 days and Florence for 3 days and London for about 5 days. I need to brush up on art and history. 

In London, my favorite historical tour ever is the Tower of London. Take a full day and plan to buy the Beefeater's tour.

If you have waterproof shoes, bring them.

Definitely bring some light raingear and bring it with you absolutely everywhere you go. If you are willing to spend a little money at a camping store, you can get very light pants and jacket that look good and compress into a very small space. I cannot tell you how many times our rain gear enabled us to continue sightseeing in warmth and comfort in England, Scotland, Switzerland, and Central America.

Bring a water bottle with you everywhere you go.

Along the lines of the rain gear, bring a light sweater that can compress into a very small space and bring that everywhere. When I travel I have a thin knit black sweater. That small layer of warmth paired with a good waterproof jacket can be a lifesaver. It's small enough to keep in my mid-sized purse.

Pack light. Wear one outfit and pack three. That's it. This is important especially since you are going to several, widely-spaced places. You stop at local laundromats to wash or rinse things in your sink.

Read everything Rick Steves has to offer about traveling and about those places in particular. His is some of the best advice out there.

Don't rent a car in any of the big cities. Take public transportation. It's way, way easier than trying to drive in a foreign city. Europe's train system is easy even if you're unfamiliar with subway commuting.

"The Second Mrs. Giocanda" by E.L. Konigsburg: a historical fiction about Leonardo DaVinci and the painting of the Mona Lisa

Perhaps do some picture study before your trip? Choose a few works that you will be seeing at each museum.  Learn a little about the artist.  Really look at the painting over a number of days and become familiar with it--perhaps even replicate parts of it.  Learn a bit about the art movement it belongs to, etc.  That way, when you are at the Louvre or the Orsay, you and your daughter can find "your" paintings.  By the way, the building that houses the Orsay is gorgeous.  You could find out its history a little, as well.

We read "Story of the World 2" and then some historical fiction.  We loved the Tower of London after reading so much history.  History is everywhere in London and Paris.  It is what you see!  We also did some reading on the French Revolution, though we hadn't yet reached it in history--essential, in my mind.  

Have fun! 

I am going to Europe with my 11 yo dd!! My sister and her husband are taking us to London, Paris, Rome and Florence for about 17 days end of May beginning of June.

Are there any books we should read before we go. We want to have fun, but I sure would like to slip some learning in! What things should we see for sure ? I ordered a bunch of Rick Steves' travel books, but I'd also like to read up on history so we can better understand what we are seeing. We will be in Paris for almost a week so we'll see the Louvre and Orsay and Orangerie Museum and then Rome for 3 days and Florence for 3 days and London for about 5 days. I need to brush up on art and history. 

oh, what a fun trip. I havent been to london, but we did Paris in 2012 and Rome and Florence in 2013. Check out trip advisor for all the latest tips. 

Agree with the public transportation. In Paris, we got a pass that we could use on the bus and subway and used it all the time. Definitely get the museum pass in Paris. Also Louvre and Orsay, sign up for the english language tour that they offer. There is so much art, that your head will spin after some time. Montmarte, Notredame, Jardin d'luxemborg, boat ride on river seine. eiffel tower - be there in the night when the lights twinkle on the hour, We didnt get to go to Versailles, but did a day trip to Normandy. Its so beautiful and so sad to see the german and american cemeteries. If you do decide to go, better off getting a guide. We watched Saving Private Ryan before going to Normandy. The opening sequence is so powerful and when you stand in the beaches of Normandy, you can imagine the soldiers. 

Climb up Notre Dame and Montmarte Sacre Coeur basilica if health permits. Sacre Coeur stairs are so narrow and closed in, my claustrophic DH had trouble.

Rome - sign up for a tour of the Collisseum, on their website. We did a tour of the Vatican also. i didnt find the art in Rome as interesting as Paris. its mostly early christian art and after a while it all became a blur. I found we did much more walking in Rome as everything is closer than Paris where we took the subways every where. umm the gelato :-)

If you are tired of art by the time you get to Florence, you can see life size statues of David in a couple of places in the city without going to the museum itself. 

Come back from Paris and watch the Woody Allen movie, Midnight In Paris :-)

I downloaded the Rick Steves app on the phone and listened to it on the plane. 

I found in all the places, younger people tended to know some english, enough to get by. In Paris, I knew some french but no italian at all, but we were fine. 

have fun and PM me if you have any more questions...

Another thought: in London, the Tube map is stylised to make it easier to read.  That sometimes means that you are tempted to take the Tube, when in fact places are very close to each other on the ground.  I would recommend getting one of the small folding maps that are often available in tube stations and that cover just the centre of the city, so that you have a chance to stroll rather than always taking the Tube.

Another good option, particularly if the weather is fine, is an open-top bus tour.  It will take you around the sites and you can hop on and off all day.

ETA: my boys enjoyed this book on the National Gallery in London - after reading it together, we had a great time seeing the paintings in real life.

L

Another thought: in London, the Tube map is stylised to make it easier to read.  That sometimes means that you are tempted to take the Tube, when in fact places are very close to each other on the ground.  I would recommend getting one of the small folding maps that are often available in tube stations and that cover just the centre of the city, so that you have a chance to stroll rather than always taking the Tube.

Another good option, particularly if the weather is fine, is an open-top bus tour.  It will take you around the sites and you can hop on and off all day.

ETA: my boys enjoyed this book on the National Gallery in London - after reading it together, we had a great time seeing the paintings in real life.

L

We loved the open-top bus tours. :thumbup1:

how lucky!  i hope you have a glorious time!

watching movies set in london could be fun.  eg.  mary poppins,

for london, i would consider:

a) changing of the guard at buckingham palace (to which i would add in a walk in st. james' park)

http://www.changing-the-guard.com/dates-times.html

b) at least two churches (westminster and st. paul's - there are often free organ concerts at noon, and/or sunday evenings, depending on season, so its fun to check : )

http://www.westminster-abbey.org/home

it looks as if Music at St. Paul's is on facebook now, and they do tuesday noon hour concerts.

c) at least one musical theater production. eg.  the lion king (and thirty two others ;) will be playing late may

http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/cgi-bin/search.cgi?mytemplate=tp2&method=all&10000001=10000006

d)a walk past big ben and the houses of parliament.

e) renting paddle boats in hyde park

http://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/hyde-park/facilities-in-hyde-park

f) my kids loved the double decker bus tours in london, so that might be a good place to start?

g) if you were going later, you could tour buckingham palace.  there was some talk of opening it earlier to help the Queen pay her bills, so maybe check that closer to the time?

http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/event/27250576-buckingham-palace-summer-opening-2014

h) tea for two?  there are many choices, depending on the atmosphere you would like, and how much you want to spend.  we like this one

http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/uk/london/victoria-westminster/doubletree-by-hilton-london/vouchers/buckingham-palace-queen%27s-gallery-and-afternoon-tea-for-two/

and this one

http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/uk/london/knightsbridge/harrods-georgian-restaurant/

there is also one on a boat on the thames that i have never done, but that an 11 year old might love

http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/uk/london/the-city/river-thames-afternoon-tea-cruise-city-cruises/

if you decide to daytrip outside of London, my dc would rate Stonehenge and Avebury as their favourite day trip, but i also loved cambridge, etc.

and that's a few days ;)

ann

for your daughter, there are the royal diaries.... one on elizabeth I, Mary Queen of Scots, Marie Antoinette, Victoria, etc.

she might enjoy watching some tv shows set in London/Paris/Rome/Florence.....

and even if you do none of those things, she will have a glorious time!

ann

I did almost the exact same trip about 3 years ago with dd then 10 and ds then 6.  If you PM me your email I will send you my (very detailed) itinerary!!  We packed in a LOT and the only complaint I had was that I didn't schedule in bathroom breaks!

A few unique things we did that I am so happy to have done -

The Sherlock Holmes Museum at 221B Baker Street - this was for me and I was so happy we went!!

We did a day trip to Oxford - that was super cool!

We went to Vinci from Florence - WOW - great little museum - amazing to see where Leonardo came from, to look upon the same landscape...just wow.

My personal opinion...if your itinerary is at all flexible I would shorten the time in Paris and increase the time in London or Rome.  Just my personal preference.