Menu

Moving Beyond the Page - great stuff

longnightmoon

Hi there,

I don't read a lot about this curriculum on this forum and I wanted to mention it. We just started using it last week and we have had the best week of homeschooling in six months, hands down. The activities are fun and engaging and are great for a child who needs some hands-on learning. My dd is having a blast and the lessons are very developmentally appropriate for her (fortunately, we placed her well). Homeschooling has been feeling like drudgery lately. I love the ideals in WTM and Charlotte Mason but it hasn't been a great fit for my dd. MBTP has definitely brought the fun back for us. Oh, and it's also very open and go which is a great bonus.

Anyways, I wanted to share with the collective mind as I don't see MBTP mentioned on the boards much. It has been a great find for our family.

I'm using the Data and Probability unit study at the moment. It's for an age range of 6-8, I believe. We've talked about probability, things that are possible and impossible, and some measurement. We read Pecos Bill and did an activity where she created a character that does impossible acts and described acts that are possible versus impossible. It has a fair amount of writing that offers practice but the creative aspect has been a lot more fun for my dd. Copywork has been pretty boring for her (even though I see its usefulness) and this has spiced things up a bit.

HTH!

My friend uses it and it looks neat, but it's sooooooo expensive! Back when I started homeschooling, I heard about MBtP, but it wasn't like it is now. They didn't have complete grade levels; it was more just like some random units to work through. As it got more complete the price skyrocketed.

I agree that it is pretty pricey to get the complete programs. We are using the Data and Probability unit study right now and it was $18.50, which I think is very reasonable for what you are getting. We'll get several weeks out of it. Truly, it has been a great week. The level of critical thinking, engagement and fun factor is all there and the activities don't take a lot of supplies or planning. For example, we've been working on recording data and did an activity with skittles recording the numbers of each color in the bag, which is the most common, the least common, etc. My dd was completely engaged and wants to record data everywhere now (she is pretty stem-inclined) and she's also been creating superhero characters all week based on our possible/impossible study. I've purchased other curriculum and the level of engagement after the lesson hasn't come even close. That said, my dd has some learning challenges where in-depth book discussions just aren't going to happen. It has been a relief to find something that is a great fit for her, even if it might not have been the literature-based avenue I would have chosen.

I'll get off my soapbox now. ; ) I get a little excited about things that work for us and I hope someone else can benefit. They have samples you can print out to give it a try for a day or two. That's how we got started. Now I'm waiting for my box in the mail. ; )

I'm glad my experience is helpful! We've used Miquon for the past year or so. Recently, I got a hold of Math U See for free through our school district and I have added that in, as well. We need a program with clean and uncluttered pages and these two have fit the bill. I like the explanations of concepts in MUS and I like the number sense Miquon is giving my dd.

Hope that helps!

We use this as our "complete" curriculum.. It is a very good fit for our family. Currently we are using the 5-7, 8-10 and 11-13 levels. 

Is it perfect..?

No.. but I really don't think anything is...

But it is a far better fit for us than any of the other curriculum I've used.

I wish the science was more.. in depth (and that the experiments consistently worked).. there are other, tiny things.. typos...sometimes there are not answers to some of the questions.. but I've also noticed the revised guides do a better job than the previous ones..