Menu

What is the best site for learning to crochet?

Vida Winter

Guest submarines

Hook size should be either indicated with your yarn size on the yarn label, or in the pattern, together with yarn size, or you personal choice.

I found youtube to be the best for crochet learning. My daughter and I love Crochet Geek channel.

Are you left handed or right handed? Have you mastered the chain and single crochet? Are you trying to make something now? Just trying to figure out where you are skill wise :)

A good first project would be a scarf. I would use a basic yarn & I personally found larger crochet hooks to be much easier when I was just starting out. Also, I learned the double crochet early on and that helped tremendously. It helped me to visibly see where my next step was in whatever I was making.

In the beginning, I made a ton of scarves. I started with the single crochet, added in the double crochet, and then learned more complex things. If you know those two well though, they really are at the base of most projects and you should be able to do many things.

If you are finding something difficult, I would look at your yarn and hook first. What are you using? If the hook is too small, I found in the beginning it was hard for me to count stitches, so my rows were uneven (or if the yarn is to fluffy it was hard to count).

Thank you - I will check out the Crochet Geek channel. Mytwomonkeys, I can do a simple chain, but I think I need to loosen it up before I start the second row. I'm right handed, and have tried regular afghan acrylic yarn and chunky yarn. When doing multiple rows it is so easy to get mixed up and not know where to insert the crochet hook. Crochet is supposed to be easier than knitting, right? With chunky yarn do I need one of those super big crochet hooks?

I would use a bigger hook. I would use the acrylic yarn to start with. It's more difficult to make your chain too tight with a fat hook & it will be easier to see your next step without using chunky yarn. Also don't pull your yarn, just guide it - it will keep your yarn from becoming too tight. You shouldn't have to force your hook through.

I would not focus on anything but making chains right now. Watch TV and make the world's longest chain :) When you have really mastered that, focus on the single crochet ( but not rows). Once the single crochet is mastered then focus on rows. It gets tricky here, because you have to count stitches, otherwise your project will be really uneven. Using the acrylic yarn and larger hook should help you see where your next step is.

Honestly. The reason I love the double crochet is for the reason you stated. When I started out it was really hard for me to know where my hook should go next. The double crochet is like a step -- it literally steps you down to where you should go :)

I'm right handed, and have tried regular afghan acrylic yarn and chunky yarn. When doing multiple rows it is so easy to get mixed up and not know where to insert the crochet hook. Crochet is supposed to be easier than knitting, right? With chunky yarn do I need one of those super big crochet hooks?

With your "regular" afghan acrylic (I'm assuming you mean worsted weight, there's a "4" on the ball band?) you would typically use an H. For chunky yarn (5 on the ball band) you'd want to try a K; it's bigger but it's not the super big hooks. Those are usually for super bulky yarns or even holding 2 or 3 strands of super bulky yarn together, depending on which huge hook you're using.

Honestly, I didn't find crochet easier to learn than knitting. And I still find it more challenging to learn new techniques in crochet than in knitting. But everyone's different and I know many people take to crochet more easily. Good luck to you!

I use Pinterest for knitting patterns, little different than crocheting but there are endless tips on Pinterest here are some crochet tips- http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=learn%20to%20crochet&rs=ac&len=10

I will check these out!

With your "regular" afghan acrylic (I'm assuming you mean worsted weight, there's a "4" on the ball band?) you would typically use an H. For chunky yarn (5 on the ball band) you'd want to try a K; it's bigger but it's not the super big hooks. Those are usually for super bulky yarns or even holding 2 or 3 strands of super bulky yarn together, depending on which huge hook you're using.

Honestly, I didn't find crochet easier to learn than knitting. And I still find it more challenging to learn new techniques in crochet than in knitting. But everyone's different and I know many people take to crochet more easily. Good luck to you!

I threw out the ball bands :huh:  when I wound the yarn into balls so I'll have to wing it. This is a good reference point though, and I won't give up on the idea of knitting, I just thought crochet was a steppingstone to knitting.

mytwomonkeys, I will try the double crochet as soon as I can. Thank you for the video.

I like the videos on Stitch11.  As it is a blog and she started with the easiest stuff first, I tried linking to the page with most of the basic stitches used.  If you need something else you can either go forward or backwards on the blog and see additional things.

Thanks, jenn, I'll take a look.

Mytwomonkeys, the double crochet video made me break out in a sweat. I'll practice my chains.

When I learned, my friend had me start with a J hook and worsted weight acrylic yarn.  The hook is a bit big for a project, but it makes it really easy to see what you're doing.  It's pretty typical to have a really tight gauge in the beginning.  Keep practicing and it will loosen up.  

Good Luck!