Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yvonne

x-post: Wilson Hill Academy - new source of classical, online courses - Course list posted!

In looking at options for online classes, I just discovered a new source for classical, online courses: Wilson Hill Academy.  I was specifically looking for a couple of wonderful teachers my older sons have had in the past, Joanna Hensley and Bruce Etter, with whom I was hoping my daughter could also study.

ETA: The course list and 2014-15 schedule has just been posted on their site!

From their website:

"Enroll in advanced online junior high and high school classes such as:
The Great Conversation (using the Omnibus textbooks)
Advanced Latin
Advanced Biology
Advanced Chemistry
Advanced Calculus
Fundamentals of Essay Writing
Fundamentals of Literary Analysis
World Geography
Spanish
Your State’s History
… and many more!

… Learn from our experienced master teachers, including:
Bruce Etter
Joanna Hensley
Anne Stublen
Marie Owens
Skip Dieter
Bart Martin
Becky Pliego
… and many others!"

So did Etter leave VP?

I assume this was what VP was referencing in a recent email:

Growing from 32 students to over 5,000 in eight years has caused the need for such software. It has also required us to carefully implement polices and strategies that could take us from being a "mom and pop" organization to a well-run operation that is geared to meet the educational needs of every single participant. We all know that such growing pains are natural and not without consequence. Students, teachers, and our staff have had to think differently about working together, now more than when we were starting. Some can, some cannot. This has not been any more evident than the position of head of school.

It's been a little concerning that so many lead teachers are leaving as my boys take classes at VPSA.

I'm interested in the Wilson Hill classes as we really wanted certain teachers for next year although I'm a little nervous about being part of the guinea pig year with the various hiccups that can be expected.

As far as I know, there's no connection at all. It's just a name, like "Peace Hill Press".... There's no Mr. Peace and no Mr. Hill.  Or "Summerhill School." I'm sure they'd get back to you if you email them directly to ask.

I'm interested in the Wilson Hill classes as we really wanted certain teachers for next year although I'm a little nervous about being part of the guinea pig year with the various hiccups that can be expected.

I'm thinking, if there are wrinkles, they would be with the technology, so I'll be interested in finding out what classroom software they're planning to use. They have some fantastic, solid teachers with proven, successful online teaching experience. The courses will be excellent, as long as the technology holds up.  I'm hoping they'll use Adobe Connect. So far we've been very happy with AC in the online classes my children are taking this year.

I agree we were with VP up until this year and we did NOT like their new software it didn't work on our network system using direct satellite.  Any how they were not willing to work with us even though the teachers were willing to help us with the problem so we left.  It was mainly the head, it was a shame we had been with them for over 4 yrs.  We loved Joanna and some of the others I am tempted to contact her to see what classroom they are going to use in this new school.  :)  Maybe a possibility of a switch for us!  We went with Scholars Online this year for Latin 2 and we love the teacher just not crazy about the set up.

I just signed up my 7th grader for Julie Etter's History class and Cindy Lange's Composition class at Wilson Hill Academy. My other son had both of these teachers and I was very pleased. I look forward to this for him! The quality of these teachers will surpass any initial hiccups (hopefully just hiccups and not full burps!!)

We went ahead and signed up, too.

Oldest ds (9th gr) is signed up with Bruce Etter for Great Conversation III and Anne Stueblen for Algebra II. Second ds (7th gr) is signed up with Mr. Etter for Great Conversation I. We're excited!

For others that might be interested: oldest ds has taken classes from Mr. Lowery and Mr. Martin and loved them! I would give both teachers my highest recommendation.

I'll add to the positive recommendations!  My boys and daughter and I have been very happy with the classes they've taken with...

Bruce Etter (Omni I)

Julie Etter (VP MARR, three or four years ago)

Cindy Lange (Lit III, History Transitions-bonus student)

Joanna Hensley (Omni II, also Latin-in-a-Week for me four or five years ago)

Josie Lowery (VP MARR this year)

I'd be interested in any feedback anyone might have on Leslie Smith (Geometry). PM if you prefer.

Thank you!

yvonne

Anyone have any feedback for Skip Dieter (Advanced Chemistry)? 

I love the fact that they're using Adobe Connect - it's the only reason I am seriously considering signing dd up!

I'll add to the positive recommendations!  My boys and daughter and I have been very happy with the classes they've taken with...

Bruce Etter (Omni I)

Julie Etter (VP MARR, three or four years ago)

Cindy Lange (Lit III, History Transitions-bonus student)

Joanna Hensley (Omni II, also Latin-in-a-Week for me four or five years ago)

Josie Lowery (VP MARR this year)

I'd be interested in any feedback anyone might have on Leslie Smith (Geometry). PM if you prefer.

Thank you!

yvonne

I would also like feedback on Leslie Smith (Geometry).   I am seriously considering Geometry for next Fall.  I have spoken with her on the phone as well as via email.  She seems like a very good teacher with a lot of varied experiences.

Re: I'd be interested in any feedback anyone might have on Leslie Smith (Geometry)

My son took geometry with Mrs. Smith 2 years ago.  She is AWESOME.  We had to leave VP because of major tech issues that made for a year of stress for my two students plus a big waste of $$ but that is not what I want to talk about.  :-)

I went back to the VP site because my middle was ready for geometry (and I had heard that the tech issues had been resolved)  but I found that Mrs. Smith was no longer teaching.  Then I started looking for all of our favorite teachers....Mrs. Hensley, Mrs. Stublin, Mrs. Bullock and realized they had all left VP.  I was so happy to find out that they are still offering courses through Wilson Hill!

Re: I'd be interested in any feedback anyone might have on Leslie Smith (Geometry)

My son took geometry with Mrs. Smith 2 years ago.  She is AWESOME.  We had to leave VP because of major tech issues that made for a year of stress for my two students plus a big waste of $$ but that is not what I want to talk about.  :-)

I went back to the VP site because my middle was ready for geometry (and I had heard that the tech issues had been resolved)  but I found that Mrs. Smith was no longer teaching.  Then I started looking for all of our favorite teachers....Mrs. Hensley, Mrs. Stublin, Mrs. Bullock and realized they had all left VP.  I was so happy to find out that they are still offering courses through Wilson Hill!

This is great news cat_beav!  I was hoping someone had experience with Leslie.  I was a little nervous signing up for something blindly which sounds great on paper without any reviews.  This helps me in making my decision for next Fall.

Wilson Hill seems to be a good new option with some well regarded teachers.

Based on positive reviews and other considerations I have decided to enroll in WHA's Geometry course for this Fall. I'm really looking forward to for ds12.

I am not familiar with the instructors and such at Veritas Press Online, but am I correct in assuming the "Wilson" in Wilson-Hill Academy is Doug Wilson? Who is the "Hill?"  

According to Janke Design, http://www.jankedesign.com/online-wilson-hill-academy-launched/, you'll see that Wilson Hill is a Texas landmark. 

"With many schools emerging in the online marketplace, the Janke team felt it was important to convey a timelessness in the Wilson Hill brand, and built off the founder’s ancestor’s pioneering days near Wilson Hill, a Texas landmark."

am I correct in assuming the "Wilson" in Wilson-Hill Academy is Doug Wilson? Who is the "Hill?"  

According to Janke Design, http://www.jankedesign.com/online-wilson-hill-academy-launched/, you'll see that Wilson Hill is a Texas landmark. 

"With many schools emerging in the online marketplace, the Janke team felt it was important to convey a timelessness in the Wilson Hill brand, and built off the founder’s ancestor’s pioneering days near Wilson Hill, a Texas landmark."

Thank you for the explanation! It didn't seem likely that it was named after Doug Wilson, but I'm glad to know what it is actually named after. I think they should make this clear on their website as I bet it is a common question! :-)