Menu

Veritas Press Self Paced Questions

ByGrace3

I am considering VP self paced history for next year... I am at a point where I think I need to step back and give myself a break-- and maybe this coud be an answer?

Questions:

Do you just need the course, the cards, and the lit? What about the other resources

They aren't needed when you do self paced? (TM, non fiction resources)

How long is a lesson? They are scheduled 5 days a week right?

What about my dd who will start in 4th grade? If she did one a year she would finish in 8th... Could we do that? Maybe add WTM outlining, maybe some omnibus resources to make it "more" as needed? Or is it just not enough for 7th and 8th as a spine?

I know I could have her double up, but I would like to keep them both on the same cycle so we can do read alouds and projects together.

Is there anything like the TM involved? What about mapping? Writing? Extra reading?

Are they worth it? Will the course in essence teach all the "nonfiction material" and you just add lit/historical fiction? Am I misunderstanding this?

Thank you!

We are in our first year so I can only answer some of your questions.

You'll purchase the course, the cards, and the literature. That's it. You don't need the manual or the other resources. They do some mapping on the computer with the activities.

The length of the lesson depends on the day. Usually it takes my guys about 20 minutes to do a lesson. Every fifth day is a test and that day seems to go faster for them. On difficult days sometimes it takes them 30 minutes. We do them 5 days a week so as to finish all the lessons in the length of a 9 month school year.

We didn't do any writing this year. The literature that you buy is the only extra reading my guys have done, but I think it would be really easy to add in other books if you wanted to.

My boys love it. It is one of their favorite parts of the day. It is very engaging and teaches all the facts. The lessons include review of the material. I basically do very little other than I read aloud the literature sometimes. The draw back is that I don't always know what is going on since I'm not studying the period alongside them.

We did 2 cycles - the last two in the series.

We used the course, cards, literature. The lit is great because at the end of the lesson it tells them what to read. Easy peasy

I budgeted 30 minutes a day for the computer parts, then a little more for the reading.

My dd was in 5th and 6th for them, son in 4th and 5th. Even with the level 2 lit it would not be, IMHO, challenging enough for a 7th grader. It's fun. It's great. It's just not middle school material. For the grades we did it - totally worth it! Loved it!

I switched to SL thinking we'd do it for 7th and then trnsition back to the self paced Omni for 8th DD /7th DS. I don't think we will. SL fits my kids (they're readers).

Other than buying the lit package there's not reading assigned, or writing. If you buy the TM for the cards there are recommended projects and assignments. I felt a LOT were busy work - but I'm not a project mom. The cards have other reading recommendations but you would need to buy all the books. I felt that if I were doing the cards, with card lit, and cars assignments the videos were unnecessary. To me it's more either or - or it would Have been a slow death by history for my kids. :-)

HTH. Feel free to PM me!

We are in our 2nd year of using the self-paced online courses. They have been GREAT in so many ways. I also needed a subject that was more hands-off for me and this was the perfect choice for our family. We chose to do the 4th and 5th years in the cycle. We just purchased the course and the history cards. We get the literature books from the library to save $$. This year I did add in a notebook page 1x/week. I purchased A Journey Through Learning's notebooking pages that are designed to go with TruthQuest History and they have worked out perfectly! My dc notebook on Thursdays after completing all the teaching lessons for that particular week. They have learned SO MUCH from this program. I highly recommend it!

We are in our 2nd year of using the self-paced online courses. They have been GREAT in so many ways. I also needed a subject that was more hands-off for me and this was the perfect choice for our family. We chose to do the 4th and 5th years in the cycle. We just purchased the course and the history cards. We get the literature books from the library to save $$. This year I did add in a notebook page 1x/week. I purchased A Journey Through Learning's notebooking pages that are designed to go with TruthQuest History and they have worked out perfectly! My dc notebook on Thursdays after completing all the teaching lessons for that particular week. They have learned SO MUCH from this program. I highly recommend it!

Ooo, those look good!  I hadn't seen them.  Thanks for mentioning them!  :)

For the op, my dd did the self-paced courses pretty quickly (4 in 2-3 years) when they came out.  It's perfectly reasonable to double up with an older student who's very engaged.   Dd LOVED it, so she went at the pace she wanted.  I agree with the others that by 7th some kids are really going to fizzle on it.  Dd did the two american courses in 7th, and it was just dissatisfying to her by the end, getting young for presentation style, etc.  I wouldn't plan on that unless there are SN, a picked up pace, or some other motivation.  

I think the hardest one for moms to teach is MARR.  If your oldest has already done the rough equivalent of OTAE and NTGR and she's rising 4th, you might just go ahead and let her go into MARR.  The 2nd dc maybe start with OTAE, since again that gets them onto a nice track.

The courses really stand by themselves.  We used the VP catalog and TQ guides to have tons of books, and what I did was go through them at the beginning of the year and put them in order with post-it notes for what card they went with.  So when the dc starts a new card, just pull the pile and hand it to them.  Don't make it any more complicated than that.  It doesn't matter what's in the pile.  I think the non-fiction selections by VP are boring as sin, but then my dd is a historical fiction kind of person.  It really doesn't matter what you do, so long as they enjoy it.  Any necessary grunt work is being done by the software, so make it your goal to do what PLEASES you.  If you want to do crafts, put your energy there and let the software do the mean stuff (memory work, mapping, blah blah).  No writing is included, but I think we have lots of ways to get in writing.  In our house, at least with dd, we've chosen to keep them separate most of the time and do the writing for other subjects.  It's just a thought.  You said you wanted off, so take off.  Outlining history is not essential to learning and does not bring joy.  When my dd was that age, I had her outlining Muse magazine articles.  Much better written than history encyclopedias, and very interesting to boot.

http://www.musemagkids.com

We are doing Greece, Rome & NT this year, actually were getting close to done.  They love it and are learning lots.

We start our morning off with 30 min of self-paced, they would want to keep going if I didn't put a limit :)  Sometimes,

I do just let them have at it and they will do a good amount of lessons.  They do this independently.  Then during our

together time we read some of the veritas recommended books.  The online course does read them a book at the end

of each lesson also but we skip that part.  They also read readers on their own time.  Right now one of mine is reading

detectives in togas and liking it.  I also got the timeline cards.  We add one (laminated) each week to a 3 ring binder & they

go through it each morning during their workboxes time for memorization.  We don't do the song, but im sure its good.

I also add the EM history pockets just cause its fun :)

So:

30min daily- online lessons

Timeline card review- on their own

Reading- Together

Reading- on their own

History Pockets 2 days a week for about 15-20 min.

We love it and will finish it out!