Menu

Pre-k, please do not kill me

brasilmom

Greetings,

I have few posts and now comes to the point that I would like to ask if those of you with a 3 yo can give me some ideas of the material you are using, how do you like it and why, and how your child likes it. My dd will turn 3 on the 28 and I think she is ready for some more hands on learning experience. Also, someone mentioned that there are some sites that actually have a skill list for each age, or something to that effect. If anyone knows the site I would like to get that. I am setting you our sun room as our learning room. Pardon me if I am asking too much. I am just trying to get started and feeling a bit overwhelmed. I certainly do not want my dd to think that learning is a complete frustrating process. :001_huh:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Be well

Miriam

I recently bought "What your Pre Ker needs to know" and the Activity book 1 from Core Knowledge and it looks like something my little one will like. My youngest just turned 3 on July 25th.

Another I've thought of using is a free program online called Letter of the Week

If you click on that up above it should take you to their website.

HTH

I have also used Letter of the week. I also have Comprehensive Curriculum (preschool) of basic skills by American Education publishing http://www.schoolspecialtypublishing.com/store/item.aspx?BrandId=12&ItemId=514

I also go through the Sonlight catalog and pick and choose books from there also. Oh, and the all time favorite is http://starfall.com

Miriam,

Why do you think we might kill you? :)

I have a 3 y/o and I color with her. I do simple crafts with her. She started writing her letters on her own and I supply her with plenty of scrap paper. I let her play with markers. She likes to use www.starfall.com. Other than that, I read books to her and she sits in on read alouds.

I don't do any formal curriculum with her as I have her two older brothers to homeschool.

If she were my only child, I suppose I might use Before Five in a Row with her and then Five in a Row.

I do read some of the books from that curriculum to her.

Other than that, she spends most of her time playing.

HTH!

Karen

No swords here. :) My youngest JUST turned 4! YAY!

Anyway. Starfall, Letter of the Week, and LeapFrog videos here. We'd have used BFIAR if I'd have had a way to get a hold of it, and we still might.

I've also let him come along and do Math-U-See Primer with his older brother. He's working at a much slower pace, taking longer to "get" what's in each lesson, but Primer is designed to be a fun introduction to maths in the first place. Not sure I'd have started it with him a year ago; maybe 6 months ago, though. We actually started 2-3 months ago, I guess.

Also used/are using a workbook from Wal-Mart, "Everything about Preschool" that the kids seem to enjoy. Coloring, cut and paste, that type of thing. Just for workbook's sake; at that age they LOVE workbooks, think it's school and school is cool. ;)

Anyway. Hubbard's Cupboard is a great place for Bible and early learning, too! Check out the curriculum for 2s-3s.

Thanks everyone for the resourceful replies. I will check calmly each of the suggestions and probaby use a bit of everything.

Oh, the do not kill me, is because I got people a bit upset with 2 posts I had that expressed concern with my dd and her number skills. So, I was a bit afraid asking for help with curriculum. Thanks for the very friendly and informative replies.

Be well

Miriam

Hi Miriam -

My 3 yo (soon to be 4) is doing:

Activities in a Bag - I made a bunch, she does some with her older sibs

Cut and Create ABC

AlphaPatterns

And any other fun thing I have around the house!!!

Just yesterday, we took her teeny-tiny toy guinea pigs and made a path of squares for them to walk on, then she rolled a dice and moved each little piggie the number on the dice. All this while sitting on my lap! It was a little slice of heaven -

Sure beats teaching Algebra II, anyways ;)

Have fun!!!

Thanks everyone for the resourceful replies. I will check calmly each of the suggestions and probaby use a bit of everything.

Oh, the do not kill me, is because I got people a bit upset with 2 posts I had that expressed concern with my dd and her number skills. So, I was a bit afraid asking for help with curriculum. Thanks for the very friendly and informative replies.

Be well

Miriam

I would not worry about upsetting people too much. We all have different opinions and we all will never agree all the time.

Just do what is right for you and yours.

Thanks everyone for the resourceful replies. I will check calmly each of the suggestions and probably use a bit of everything.

Be well

Miriam

This happened to me. Don't let it bother you.

My DD will be 3 yrs at the end of October and she did Before Five in A Row Last Year. This is what she is doing now:

Singapore Math Earlybird 1A

McRuffy Phonics K along with DS - My son does this when after lunch. DD is frequently still eating but enjoys participating in these lesson.

Child Size Masterpieces

Kumon books for 2's

Learn Everyday Preschool - Skill Builder

We read a TON of books all day

Digging for worms

Lots of Bubbles

Kindermusik

Multi-Sports class with DS

Art - I have a collage box filled with left over scraps from 2 years worth of projects. She will dig through this and either snip scraps of stuff with scissors or practice with tape or glue. She also LOVES to paint as long as she can make a huge mess. I roll butcher paper out for her and she typically covers every inch of it and most of the kitchen floor with paint. The Artistic Pursuits book "The Way They See It" has been a good reference to guide her through this time as well as informative for help our son with his drawings.

She does these things ONLY because she wants to. I am getting used to this pace since my son is enjoying dictionaries and encyclopedias more than story books before the age of 5. My biggest problem with her is making sure that she doesn't get overstimulated. My DH and I miss on this about once a week or so when we find her laying in the middle of the floor with an exhausted brain. We otherwise monitor her "drive" and encourage her away from the school area after awhile. This is difficult when she is more interested in her workbooks than her toy box. Again, we are still trying to figure out how to keep up with both of our DC's love for school, while keeping the pre-school play still the primary focus. This might take the form of silly puppet shows, making up stories, or just playing hide and seek, but I think it is possible to still do these things and cater to the desire of a child's need for learning (not that I have the magic answer as far as how to do this consistently). My son was upset for two weeks that he couldn't read beyond his Bob Books and Dr. Seuss. Teaching him to read was a simple solution and who cares how old he is. I won't be surprise if my DD reads much sooner and I am learning to step away from how old they are and focus on WHO they are. Are they happy and are they learning how to be good, kind people? I am rambling now, but it all comes down to balance of "school", play and a combo of both.

Bottom Line: HAVE A BLAST. I have been told that this time won't last long:) I also would not stress out about a curriculum. Just do what every your kiddo is interested in. There is time for everything else later.

Erica

My oldest will turn 5 this fall. What I've done with her for the last year and a half to 2 years (I guess we started when she was around 3 or 3.5) is:

puzzles (started with the wooden ones with knobs, now she's doing 24-25 piece cardboard puzzles)

coloring (crayons and colored pencils)

scissors & glue sticks (in the last year, not younger than 4)

counting bears

lacing

pre-k - 1st grade workbooks (I especially like the Kumon folding and cutting workbooks--those were skills she needed to work on)

pre-writing worksheets found online at http://www.donnayoung.org/penmanship/redines.htm

chalk & chalkboard (Handwriting Without Tears--nice size board for at-table use)

playdough

small dry erase markerboard (apx 9"x12") and dry erase marker books

That's all I can think of for now. We have tons of workbooks. We have Five in a Row volumes 1 and 3. We did a little bit of Five in a Row before becoming distracted and moving on to something else. I find that at her age, a wide variety of things works well for us. I don't have a schedule or keep to a particular plan.

My ds(4) loved doing the Homework Helpers series for PreK-1 and some Kumon workbooks. There is A Beka's or Rod & Staff's nursery/preK curriculum... you can also find other workbooks at a local school supply or book store and WalMart.

As far as age/grade appropriate curriculum standards are concerned, here are a few resources I know of that you may want to review.

World Book Typical Course of Study

A Beka Educational Resources - Scope and Sequence (Nursery through 12th grade), Home School Parent's Guide to Curriculum and Scheduling

Veritas Press Curriculum Guide

I realize your dd is only going to be 3, however, in the future you may also want to check annually with your state's department of education for content standards (online). For example, although my state does not regulate or monitor home school education and I am not required to formally school my dc before the age of 7... new this year in my state is a list of content standards starting with Kindergarten. example from my state, Idaho

I hope this information helps you. :001_smile:

Melissa

Hubbardscupboard.org pre-k has good lesson plans.

Last year with my 2 and 4 year olds I used:

SL's P3/4 - great books to read

HWT's Pre-k - I bought everything. HWT was the BIGGEST hit with my dc.

Leapfrog's Letter Factory - I would sing the sound songs when we would do HWT's activities.

R&S About Three set of 4 workbooks

Puzzles

The M&M's Brand Counting Book - I used mini M&M's it doesn't teach writing number but colors and how to could and sort. AND it is really fun.

I did Letter of the week for a while with dd turning 3.

I think it would have worked out better if she were the only one but i have 12 yr old and time just made it hard to prepare.

We have slow and steady get me ready. I gave that to dad to work with the 3 yr old and the one year old.

(She insists) we read to her 2-4 times per day.

she also really loves

http://www.peepandthebigwideworld.com/videos/

It has a new science video every day. they are about 10 mins long we hear her talk about the concepts later in the day.

Have you looked into Before Five in a Row? I always thought that program sounded nice.

At my house we just talked, sang & read a lot of stories and rhymes; we also had toys and copious preschool stuff available:

sandbox, playground equipment, little walks and

paints, crayons, stampers, blocks, Lauri strings, beads, puzzles, playdough, scissors and catalogs to practice cutting, toy broom and pans, sponges, cups and dish tubs with bubbles, water, beans, rice to pour--that kind of stuff.

We practiced letter recognition with books, puzzles, fridge magnets (oh, my dc loved magnets! forgot about that one)

I did look at some Montessori books at the library to get ideas. I think these is one called Montessori at Home or something like that.

:grouphug:

Things I like to use for Preschool:

Before Five in a Row w/lapbooking stuff from http://www.homeschoolshare.com/Lapbooks_at_HSS.php The lapbooks for B4FIAR are level 1 and there are also lots of great resources in the FIAR files at this site.

Everything for Early Learning Preschool which you can sometimes find at Walmart when it is in stock is an inexpensive workbook for basic skills. I really like the ABC series of books to follow these.

These sites have some neat things for preschool:

http://www.kizclub.com/activities.htm I made the opposites flapbooks into a lapbook on opposites. But there are some nice ideas for colors, letters, numbers and the phonics worksheets are great.

http://www.childcareland.com/ She has some awesome printables for games, worksheets and craft ideas to do with little ones. She caters toward child care but there are some wonderful resources on her site.

http://www.learningpage.com/ Lots of neat readiness skill worksheets with various themes. You have to join but membership is free.

http://www.first-school.ws/INDEX.HTM This site has some neat ideas for things to do with basic skills.

Other things we do:

tanagrams & pattern blocks

playdough--Childcareland has some alphabet cards that you can print out and laminate to have the children make their letters with playdough.

balance scale

waterplay--cups of various sizes and a tub of water, eggbeater & dishsoap to make bubbles

counting bears

watercolors--give them the primary colors (red, yellow & blue) and show them how to make more colors

Collect leaves or seed pods just to see the variety that is found in the local park.

Put together some collections for them to handle. We have seashells, marbles, foreign currency (friends and family bring it back from trips), rocks, postcards, etc.

weekly library trips

weekly park trips to play with other children we know

Hope you have a wonderful year.:001_smile:

Every child is different!!

My 8 year old begged to "do school" when he was 3.

We used the Rod & Staff preschool workbook set -- which was wonderful! They were inexpensive and he could sit at the table with his sister and brother and "do school". I think the pack is around $20.

We read alot of books from the library (the Sonlight catalog has some great ideas if you read the lists for the preschool / Kindergarten cores)

Math was his favorite. We used BJU Kindergarten math when he was 4, so he's a grade level ahead now in math. That was a great curriculum for him! I bought the workbook new (for around $15) and found the teacher's manual used (although I rarely used it). It's a very slow and gentle book -- very colorful, with Farmer Brown and Cheddar the Mouse. He really enjoyed it.

I have a 2 year old (soon to be 3 in Oct.) and a 5 year old in K this year. I like to have something for him to do while I am busy with the older one. He loves the crafy type stuff. All the cutting and "gluey" as he calls it. I have been using Berry Best Preschool for him. I don't have to plan or think about different craft activities. We don't use it everyday so a months worth of activities lasts longer for us. It's great because when he says "Mom, I want to do school too" I just whip out a day for him.

http://www.berrybestcurriculum.com/

At 3, each of my kids was very different, so we've taken three different routes. I also didn't really think I would be homeschooling, so it had never occurred to me to look into a "real" curriculum.

My oldest mostly stuck to Leap Frog materials and real books. He enjoyed using flashcards and practicing letters and numbers on a Magna Doodle. He wound up reading well (independently) and doing single digit addition and subtraction before he turned 4. Of course, he's also non-neurotypical, lol.

When my 6 year old was 3.5 or so, I picked up the K Hooked on Phonics. That didn't really excite her until we worked our way to the books, but she did do it. She was (and still is) a very big fan of character math workbooks from Target and the dollar store. She flew threw Calvert's K curriculum last year. She enjoyed it, but it was extremely easy for her.

My 5 year old HATED doing anything "official" when she was 3. She still wasn't thrilled at 4. I stuck mostly to reading to her, having her participate in her sister's science, social studies, music, and art lessons, and letting her play on Nickjr.com. She did a few weeks worth of lessons for math and reading on time4learning.com.

Because she was so different from her sister and brother, I was kind of worried about that one. All of a sudden, she's decided that learning can be fun, and I actually have her willing to work with SL's reading/LA 1 program!

Anyway, I guess my whole point is, start out with the least expensive options to get an idea of what works best for your child, *then consider putting some money into curriculum options that meet his need.

I'm almost glad that I didn't consider us "homeschoolers" when the kids were really little, b/c I LOVE buying books, lol. I have a feeling I would have wasted quite a bit of money trying to do it "right."

I know how you feel... I've nearly been stoned for fretting over a spelling program for Becca! :001_huh:

Sylvia's been working in a big (generic) preschool workbook, learning how to trace letters and group things together. She's worked so much in it independently that she's almost finished the thing! We have a bunch of K workbooks left over from Becca, so Sylvia's been moving into the simplest activities there.

She's also working on cutting with scissors using a Kumon workbook. She's getting frustrated because she's not sure if she's a lefty or a righty though.

She also likes to play with tangrams and the colored bear counters and do any art project Becca does. She's been especially curious about color mixing lately.

Relaxe e aprecie estar aqui! É você brasileira? Eu estudei um pouco português, mas e eu tenho esquecido agora a maior parte!

Para sua filha, quase três anos velho, eu recomendaria algumas coisas:

Lido -- Vai à biblioteca cada semana começ livros. Quando você começ o repouso, "snuggle" no sofá e leia! Para uns anos de idade 3, você deve ler rimas de berçário, poemas, narrações breves, fábulas, livros do ABC, e livros sobre animais.

Das histórias da Bíblia & doutrina cristã -- Nós usamos o Children's Illustrated Bible (DK que publica) e Leading Little Ones to God (Condução de pouco umas ao Deus).

Música -- Nós mandamos Wee Sing & Learn and Cedarmont Kids CDs. Nós escutamos a música, cantamos, & dança diária.

Livros audio -- Sua biblioteca tem provavelmente livros em cassetes de banda magnética e em CD. Alguma destes vem com o livro real, também, assim que você pode seguir longitudinalmente no livro.

Aprenda Ajudar a Mamã -- Parte o dia de sua filha deve aprender ajudá-lo faz coisas simples, tais como toalhas de dobramento, as peúgas de harmonização, põr brinquedos afastado, secando seus pratos pequenos -- coisas que uma criança pequena pode fazer. Não pode parecer como o "escola," mas se você a ensina agora fazer trabalhos pequenos, como trabalhá-lo e ajudar -- mea filha de idade 3.5 anos são-me verdadeiramente uma ajuda!

Este é todo o "curriculum" você precisa para uns anos de idade 3. Eu espero que este o ajuda!

Hope that helps! Oh, and there is a Spanish board here, if you visit that, you can probably read everything in Spanish! :001_smile:

Relaxe e aprecie estar aqui! É você brasileira? Eu estudei um pouco português, mas e eu tenho esquecido agora a maior parte!

Para sua filha, quase três anos velho, eu recomendaria algumas coisas:

Lido -- Vai à biblioteca cada semana começ livros. Quando você começ o repouso, "snuggle" no sofá e leia! Para uns anos de idade 3, você deve ler rimas de berçário, poemas, narrações breves, fábulas, livros do ABC, e livros sobre animais.

Das histórias da Bíblia & doutrina cristã -- Nós usamos o Children's Illustrated Bible (DK que publica) e Leading Little Ones to God (Condução de pouco umas ao Deus).

Música -- Nós mandamos Wee Sing & Learn and Cedarmont Kids CDs. Nós escutamos a música, cantamos, & dança diária.

Livros audio -- Sua biblioteca tem provavelmente livros em cassetes de banda magnética e em CD. Alguma destes vem com o livro real, também, assim que você pode seguir longitudinalmente no livro.

Aprenda Ajudar a Mamã -- Parte o dia de sua filha deve aprender ajudá-lo faz coisas simples, tais como toalhas de dobramento, as peúgas de harmonização, põr brinquedos afastado, secando seus pratos pequenos -- coisas que uma criança pequena pode fazer. Não pode parecer como o "escola," mas se você a ensina agora fazer trabalhos pequenos, como trabalhá-lo e ajudar -- mea filha de idade 3.5 anos são-me verdadeiramente uma ajuda!

Este é todo o "curriculum" você precisa para uns anos de idade 3. Eu espero que este o ajuda!

Hope that helps! Oh, and there is a Spanish board here, if you visit that, you can probably read everything in Spanish! :001_smile:

OK, hijacking here - but this is so cool - my dh is Portugese, but sadly he can't read a word of this! He does make a MEAN codfish casserole, though!

[in English now]...

Hello, Miriam! Relax and enjoy being here! Are you Brasilian? I have studied a little Portuguese, but now I have forgotten most of it!

For your daughter, almost three years old, I would recommend a few things:

Read -- Go to the library each week to get books. When you get home, snuggle on the sofa and read! For a 3 year old, you should read nursery rhymes, poems, short stories, fables, ABC books, and books about animals.

Bible Stories & Christian Doctrine -- We use The Children's Illustrated Bible (DK Publishing) and Leading Little Ones to God.

Music -- We have Wee Sing and Learn & Cedarmont Kids CDs. We listen to music, sing, & dance every day.

Audio Books -- Your library probably has books on cassette tapes and CDs. Some of these come with the actual book, too, so you can follow along in the book.

Learn to Help Mommy -- Part of your daughter's day should be learning to help you do simple things, such as folding towels, matching socks, putting toys away, drying her little dishes -- things a small child can do. It may not seem like "school," but if you teach her now to do small jobs, she will how to work and help you -- my 3.5 year old is truly a help to me!

This is all the "curriculum" you need for a 3 year old. I hope this helps you!

Yay! I understood what you wrote! I took a Portuguese class in college and aced it. My language is a bit similar, just really different pronunciation and grammar.

To the PP, please don't feel bad. You have an accelerated or possibly gifted child who's eager to learn and tackle letters and numbers, so don't worry about it :grouphug:

Our ds (will be 5 on September 2) is going to officially learn to read this year for K with a gentle phonics program. However, he already knows all his letters, numbers, shapes and colors -- for what seems to me like a loooong time.

We're here to support you :)

Thank you so much everyone for the vast amount of support, information, and resource in English and Portuguese! :001_smile:

I am planning on starting "formally" on September 2nd, so I will have some time to sort things out and get some material ready. I am comfortable with making changes and adjustments as we go along, so at least material for that I will have.

Thanks again. Be well

Miriam