Menu

Need secular chemistry suggestions for a 7-year-old, please.

pitterpatter

We loved Real Science 4 Kids. Yeah, some say she has a 'secret' or not so secret agenda but so what? It doesn't come through except that she uses 'designed' a bit. The experiments are fun and my kids learned a ton.

We use Pandia Press RSO Chemistry- easy to use, real chemistry (atoms, periodic table, molecular models, energy levels, etc), and the labs are neither too complicated nor stupid.  My son is 7, and he loves it.  And it's completely secular.  You can download the whole first section for free on their website, so you can start it and see if you like it.

I couldn't find one that I liked to use with my son, and a friend suggested I look at her Apologia Chem book. Though I rolled my eyes at the time, I was hard pressed to find much "churchiness" for lack of a better term in it. We are using that with my 9 year old and going through it slowly. He felt patronized with RSO.

Do you know whether there's a sample for this? I'm not seeing one right off. Thanks!

Hmmm....I'm not seeing anything on their website either.  I know this website is fairly new (I much preferred their old website).  Maybe you can e-mail them and ask if they have any samples of the TE that they can e-mail you.  Maybe they just haven't gotten them moved over to their new site yet. 

At least I know I'm not missing it...thanks!

Hmmm....I'm not seeing anything on their website either.  I know this website is fairly new (I much preferred their old website).  Maybe you can e-mail them and ask if they have any samples of the TE that they can e-mail you.  Maybe they just haven't gotten them moved over to their new site yet. 

After having done chemistry once with elementary kids, I would definitely just pick an experiment book or kit (like Adventures with Atoms and Molecules, or Chemistry for Every Kid) and just have fun doing the experiments. Maybe occasionally write about them or draw pictures of them. That's my plan for next time around.

There's not a whole lot out there for elementary chemistry! Here is what we've used with our boys (7 and 8):

As a spine: "The Elements" & "Carbon Chemistry" by Ellen McHenry (download at: http://store.ellenjmchenry.com).

Basher Books: "The Periodic Table Elements with Style" and "Chemistry: Getting a Big Reaction"

"Matter Matters" by Tom Adams.

"The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe" by Theodore Gray.

NOVA: Hunting the Elements (PBS) - this 2-hour NOVA special is really great!

The Periodic Table of Videos: http://www.periodicvideos.com (put together by a bunch of chemists from Nottingham).

If you want to learn more about carbon and climate change: http://www.npr.org/news/specials/climate/video/

Rebecca Rupp's website lists a bunch of other resources, though much of it is geared toward older kids: http://www.rebeccaruppresources.com/?p=6484 and http://www.rebeccaruppresources.com/?p=6423

We used Ellen McHenry's The Elements, with the book Fizz, Bubble and Flash. I wish we had completed it--we just dabbled. It was quite fun, though.

I love the Big Bag kit posted above. Strong observation skills are bedrock to science--all sciences.

Just try to keep in mind you are just touching the surface and will be doing much more in the (at least) two more times you encounter Chemistry. Have a fun time!

For that age my hands-down favorite is RealScience4Kids Pre-Level 1 (I think it's been re-named "Elementary" level).  I have to say I liked it so much I got the whole next level, which unfortunately is ho-hum (imho).  But the Elementary Chemistry book is awesome.

I also love Ellen McHenry's stuff, but I'd save it for another year or two later; I think it'll sink in more then (and then you'll have something to look forward to :) )

Was wondering about this. Before posting, I ran a search and some mentioned that McHenry's stuff is really more appropriate for middle school even though it is labeled lower.

For that age my hands-down favorite is RealScience4Kids Pre-Level 1 (I think it's been re-named "Elementary" level).  I have to say I liked it so much I got the whole next level, which unfortunately is ho-hum (imho).  But the Elementary Chemistry book is awesome.

I also love Ellen McHenry's stuff, but I'd save it for another year or two later; I think it'll sink in more then (and then you'll have something to look forward to :) )

There's not a whole lot out there for elementary chemistry! Here is what we've used with our boys (7 and 8):

As a spine: "The Elements" & "Carbon Chemistry" by Ellen McHenry (download at: http://store.ellenjmchenry.com).

Basher Books: "The Periodic Table Elements with Style" and "Chemistry: Getting a Big Reaction"

"The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe" by Theodore Gray.

The Periodic Table of Videos: http://www.periodicvideos.com (put together by a bunch of chemists from Nottingham).

If you want to learn more about carbon and climate change: http://www.npr.org/news/specials/climate/video/

Rebecca Rupp's website lists a bunch of other resources, though much of it is geared toward older kids: http://www.rebeccaruppresources.com/?p=6484 and http://www.rebeccaruppresources.com/?p=6423

Love Rebecca Rupp!

I agree that there's not a ton of stuff out there.  We focused first on states of matter and played around a lot with materials and changing them.  We did two whole days (we do a longish experiments day once a week) of salt based experiments because there's a ton of stuff out there.  And a couple days on water.  We introduced the idea of the periodic table and the elements.  That The Elements book is very worth looking at the pictures because it's lovely.  I had the kids do a big "elements hunt" all over the house to find things that were made from the various elements and they placed them on a giant periodic table I printed.  Have you seen this periodic table?  They have a few versions.  All very cool.  Mostly we emphasized this basic idea that everything is made of atoms and that how those atoms are arranged tells the thing how to act - whether to be hard or soft, light or heavy, what temperature to melt at, whether to float, etc. etc. etc.

The Magic Schoolbus kit about polymers is fun and accessible and has fun supplies.  The DK book It's Elementary is fun to look at.  I second some of the books mentioned above - Adventures with Atoms and Molecules.  Oh, and you must play the

over and over. ;)

Oh, and baking.  There's some great stuff about baking chemistry out there.

Chemistry was far from being a full year study for us.  It's probably the shortest unit we've had for science.  It's sounds really fun and cool - blow things up, make reactions, etc. etc.  And we did a few of those sorts of things, but most of the meat of chemistry and even the better experiments were things for middle school and up.

LOVE this periodic table!! Very cool...thanks!

And, we love They Might Be Giants. I weave their videos in when I can. That reminds me, I need to check whether I've missed any lately.

It does seem Chemistry is going to be a short year. What did you do afterward? Move onto Physics or something else? Really don't want to get too far ahead...we're already a year so.

I agree that there's not a ton of stuff out there.  We focused first on states of matter and played around a lot with materials and changing them.  We did two whole days (we do a longish experiments day once a week) of salt based experiments because there's a ton of stuff out there.  And a couple days on water.  We introduced the idea of the periodic table and the elements.  That The Elements book is very worth looking at the pictures because it's lovely.  I had the kids do a big "elements hunt" all over the house to find things that were made from the various elements and they placed them on a giant periodic table I printed.  Have you seen this periodic table?  They have a few versions.  All very cool.  Mostly we emphasized this basic idea that everything is made of atoms and that how those atoms are arranged tells the thing how to act - whether to be hard or soft, light or heavy, what temperature to melt at, whether to float, etc. etc. etc.

The Magic Schoolbus kit about polymers is fun and accessible and has fun supplies.  The DK book It's Elementary is fun to look at.  I second some of the books mentioned above - Adventures with Atoms and Molecules.  Oh, and you must play the

over and over. ;)

Oh, and baking.  There's some great stuff about baking chemistry out there.

Chemistry was far from being a full year study for us.  It's probably the shortest unit we've had for science.  It's sounds really fun and cool - blow things up, make reactions, etc. etc.  And we did a few of those sorts of things, but most of the meat of chemistry and even the better experiments were things for middle school and up.

Great resources...thanks!!

LOVE this periodic table!! Very cool...thanks!

And, we love They Might Be Giants. I weave their videos in when I can. That reminds me, I need to check whether I've missed any lately.

It does seem Chemistry is going to be a short year. What did you do afterward? Move onto Physics or something else? Really don't want to get too far ahead...we're already a year so.

We didn't follow the WTM's plan for science at all.  We did a year of physics concepts in first, a combo year of chemistry and earth science in second, finished earth science and botany and some zoology in third, finished zoology and are now doing human anatomy concepts in fourth.

I thought chemistry went well with geology because minerals was a good tie between.  As was water.

Has anyone used or considered these?

0742427463.jpg

Hands-On Chemistry Experiments Resource Book
Grades K-2 / Ages 5-8
80 pages

http://www.carsondellosa.com/cd2/Products/HandsOnChemistryExperiments/ResourceBook/0742427463

0742427471.jpg

Grades 3-5 / Ages 8-11
80 pages

http://www.carsondellosa.com/cd2/Products/HandsOnChemistryExperiments/ResourceBook/0742427471

So far I pretty much gave up trying to find a commercial thing for what I want. I came across a few interesting chemistry kits, but being in Australia limits me from getting them. :P

I ended up going around pinterest and various places and printing out experiments (exploding sandwich bag, various goops & polymers, ivory soap explosion etc)

I also came across KidScience app I plan to purchase. You can choose experiments via what's "in your pantry", it has videos and good instructions, done by the Kitchen Pantry Scientist.

If money were no object....but that's only in my dreamworld.  So, in my dreamworld I would get this and this and definitely this

FYI...don't share this dreamworld with your kid, or let them see you dreamily looking at it online.  Trust me...been there, done that.  Last year I had a girl crying and crying because she wanted the last one I linked. 

Hand't seen these before...nice!!

If there was a way to get them for half the price...

If money were no object....but that's only in my dreamworld.  So, in my dreamworld I would get this and this and definitely this

FYI...don't share this dreamworld with your kid, or let them see you dreamily looking at it online.  Trust me...been there, done that.  Last year I had a girl crying and crying because she wanted the last one I linked. 

I sent a Facebook message the other day to the Noeo Science people about a sample...haven't heard back yet. Might have to send an e-mail too.

Wish there was a little more to the sample of RS4K...the cracker lab is okay, but I wonder whether the others are better. Anyone have a blog with pics of the experiments? How about for Noeo?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

These do look good!  Has anyone used them?

Has anyone used or considered these?

0742427463.jpg

Grades K-2 / Ages 5-8
80 pages

http://www.carsondellosa.com/cd2/Products/HandsOnChemistryExperiments/ResourceBook/0742427463

0742427471.jpg

Grades 3-5 / Ages 8-11
80 pages

http://www.carsondellosa.com/cd2/Products/HandsOnChemistryExperiments/ResourceBook/0742427471

Not to my knowledge. I searched and searched, but kept coming back to them. The experiments are the same or similar to ones in many experiments books. I love the response sheets. They seem more engaging than the ones in RSO. Anyway, I purchased both books over the weekend. I am trying to line them up with our spine. I wish they had a topic index. I'll probably add other experiments here and there. I'll have to find something to study the elements, but I think we're primarily going to use these books for DD's science work (the stuff she does). I'll also conduct demonstrations, but those will be more for her just to watch.

These do look good!  Has anyone used them?

Was wondering about this. Before posting, I ran a search and some mentioned that McHenry's stuff is really more appropriate for middle school even though it is labeled lower.

"The Elements" is totally accessible to a bright 2nd grader. "Carbon Chemistry" is harder and while my oldest did it in 2nd, I don't think we'll get to it this year with my DS. He did "The Elements" last fall, then we shelved chemistry to focus on Science Olympiad. SO ended in March, so now he's working through Tiner's "Exploring the World of Chemistry" with the MP study guide. He also enjoyed reading the Basher "Periodic Table" and "Chemistry" books.

What are you using for your spine?  I was going to suggest Elements too by McHenry.  

Not to my knowledge. I posted them a couple of months back in a post I made about chemistry recommendations. I searched and searched, but kept coming back to them. The experiments are the same or similar to ones in many experiments books. I love the response sheets. They seem more engaging than the ones in RSO. Anyway, I purchased both books over the weekend. I am trying to line them up with our spine. I wish they had a topic index. I'll probably add other experiments here and there. I'll have to find something to study the elements, but I think we're primarily going to use these books for DD's science work (the stuff she does). I'll also conduct demonstrations, but those will be more for her just to watch.

I'm *trying* to use this, but it's tricky with chemistry. A lot of topics are intermingled. It's not as cut-and-dry as the other sciences we've done.

whats_chemistry_all_about.jpg

I may end up using this.

usborne_science_encyclopedia.jpg or 877.jpgmixtures-compounds-science.jpg (The second two books are units from the first book.)

Either would just be a starting point. We use picture books and DVDs too.

What are you using for your spine?  I was going to suggest Elements too by McHenry.  

How about Mr. Q Chemistry?  I used his free Life Science with my DS when he was in first grade.  He really enjoyed it and the experiments were easy to do with common household items.  I haven't used the Elem. chemistry PDF but that is what I'm planning on using this coming year--my DS is 8.   

You get a PDF student book and PDF teacher book.  We just put it on the iPad and read it from there.  I had is on my computer too, so I could print out any necessary activity sheets.  I had a very good family friend review the Adv. Chem level for me that I may use with my DS 12.  My friend has a Phd in Chemistry recently retired from years of working at a very high level in the pharma industry.  Although you wouldn't use the Adv. Chem level for a 7 year old, you may find his limited review helpful.  Here is what he said regarding the Adv. Chem. level:

"The material for the adv course looks appealing and nicely laid out.The example chapter reads well with good exercises. On the other hand I would not say it would satisfy needs for a high school curriculum. Hard to tell from limited info but e.g. I personally would not see acids and bases as being the last topic for a hi school text. Also somewhat bothersome that the author says very little about himself in his bio section. On the other hand it may serve as a middle school text very well. I could see that it would be interesting to young folks."

We really loved the life science---why I didn't use it this year is beyond me!  Something possessed me to use apologia this year with him--while he has enjoyed learning about sea creatures this year, I strongly prefer a secular science--hence we are going back to Mr. Q

you can take a look at it at www.eequalsmcq.com