Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW5

Robin M

Rosie, I'm terrible at audio books. I might be better if I drove for extended periods of time, but most drives here are no longer than 20 minutes  :lol:. We have most of the Austen stuff on DVD. Dh says I should just simplify matters and watch them. Now to find the time. 

Dvds are better anyway. Then you can see the frocks!

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished the 8th book in the Horatio Hornblower series and moved on to the 9th. I also began Spunk and Bite (eh, so so so far) and The Living Page (on CM's notebooking). On my kindle app I'm reading How to Blog for Profit without Selling Your Soul, lol.

I'm still also reading Desiring the Kingdom slowly and writing about it at the online book club I'm hosting (that any of y'all are welcome to join).

My weekly post about our family's reading: 

Weekend Reads, a link-up: Experts, Art, and Joy

I have now finished Crossing to Safety. The end was difficult to read precisely because it was so well written and I felt like I was walking through the pain with each of the characters. (I don't want to say too much so as not to spoil it for those of you planning to pick it up.) I wanted more resolution, but at the same time I knew that Stegner brought it to a close at exactly the right place. And there was so much to think about along the way that I will definitely reread in the future.

This week I read Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain which was recommended by several of you all. It was a validating read for me as an introvert and helped me think more about maximizing some of my strengths rather than merely minimizing my weaknesses. Just having someone "say out loud" how exhausting it can be trying to succeed in a culture that so highly values extroversion was encouraging somehow, as if the effort put in was finally being recognized. The book had a lot of useful ideas which I think will help me in making decisions about where to focus my energy and how to better communicate with my extroverted husband.

Elaine

I finished Spiral last week.  Here is my Goodreads review:

"Hm.. I'm not really sure what I think of this. I have given it 3 stars mainly for the first third of the book. The beginning started out strong, and very readable, especially compared to the choppiness and extremely simple sentences of Ring. (I wonder if the translation of Ring is a poor job, or the way Suzuki writes. This book makes me lean toward the former.) I like that it starts out as a medical thriller, but, as others have said, the code breaking, science book pages, and total rehash of Ring really bogged the story down.

For me, the last third of the book was just too much to ask me to believe, and even more so the epilogue. I'm usually very good at joining the author in their world, and can easily suspend my disbelief, but this was just too much. If I think too much more on the ending, I'm going to take another star away, so I'll leave it alone now.

Actually, the third star stays because the ending does make me want to read Loop to see what in the world Suzuki does with the scenario he set up. Here's to hoping it all comes out in the wash, though the blurb on the cover flap doesn't give me much hope."

I just didn't feel like diving into the next book of the series, Loop, so I decided to read The Lunatic based on Stacia saying it was so funny.  I've only been able to read about half of it so far.  Goodness! it is a very ribald book, so fair warning.  LOL  There have been several times that I have had to put it down because I was laughing so hard I couldn't keep reading.  Thanks for the recommendation, Stacia!

Once I finish The Lunatic, I'm not sure if I want to pick Loop up, or read another book I've got in my stack called The Devotion of Suspect X, by Keigo Higashino.  I think I want to read one or two more books from Japan, and then I will be ready to move on.  When do we move to the next country?

I'm also still listening to In A Sunburned Country, and am enjoying it a lot.

The Roundup:

1.  The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle

2.  The Winter Ghosts, by Kate Mosse

3.  The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, by Haruki Murakami

4.  360 Degrees Longitude, by John Higham

5.  Ring, by Koji Suzuki

6.  Spiral, by Koji Suzuki

I just didn't feel like diving into the next book of the series, Loop, so I decided to read The Lunatic based on Stacia saying it was so funny. I've only been able to read about half of it so far. Goodness! it is a very ribald book, so fair warning. LOL There have been several times that I have had to put it down because I was laughing so hard I couldn't keep reading. Thanks for the recommendation, Stacia!

Once I finish The Lunatic, I'm not sure if I want to pick Loop up, or read another book I've got in my stack called The Devotion of Suspect X, by Keigo Higashino. I think I want to read one or two more books from Japan, and then I will be ready to move on. When do we move to the next country?

Glad you are finding The Lunatic funny too. I agree that it is quite ribald (but also so funny).

Read The Devotion of Suspect X a year or two ago & liked it well enough. Kind of a different twist on a 'mystery' since you know who did it from the beginning, so it is more of a cat and mouse to see if the police will be able to figure it out.

Well, since the snow has started here, I guess we will be having a snow day and a school night. Once the girls saw the first flake, all thoughts of math, grammar, and ancient India went out the door with then. :)

Ah, well. More reading time for me. Hehe!

Last night I finished Laura Griffin's romantic suspense novel Whisper of Warning.  It was a good read.

"Courtney Glass has been in trouble all her life, but nothing tops being an up-close witness to a brutal murder. Until she's accused of the crime.

Every scrap of evidence points to her guilt, and only Courtney knows what really happened. Now she must prove that she's not a murderer...but is one of the killer's intended victims. As police investigators hammer her for answers, Courtney knows she has two choices: run, or trust the brooding, sexy detective who's made it clear she's his prime suspect.

Will Hodges doesn't need Special Forces training to know that, despite Courtney's killer looks and razor-sharp tongue, her tough-girl act hides a vulnerable woman with a deadly secret. As the body count rises, Will realizes that a lethal enemy has Courtney in his crosshairs. The killer is waiting, watching her every move -- and he won't stop until her fear has grown from a whisper to a scream...."

I've read a number of Laura Griffin's books, and I'll be reading more!

Regards,

Kareni

So I am listening to Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith and came upon a part that has characters being a bit sexist...and I am trying to figure out why it bothered me...I know the book has already been talking about the change in morality of Botswana...but to hear (vs read I think) these young men saying things to girls walking by bothered me...How do you reconcile the isms (racism, sexism, imperialism et al) whilst reading/listening to books?  I am not going to stop listening to the book just trying to figure out how I feel about isms in literature and how to approach it will my kids (although this time they were not in the car). Hoping this even makes sense like I said not sure how I feel and trying to figure it out.

Well, since the snow has started here, I guess we will be having a snow day and a school night. Once the girls saw the first flake, all thoughts of math, grammar, and ancient India went out the door with then. :)

Michele, if you need any resources for your ancient India studies let me know. I'm with your girls though, snow day :D

I know exactly what you mean. I find it to be really distracting because my mind keeps telling me little side comments about how things could never work like that when an author uses a setting I know well and they obviously don't. I also find the American author writing main British characters hard to read and the reverse unless they have lived in the other country for years the character ends up being really unbelievable.

I happen to love Flavia and am really grateful the setting is long before my time here and far enough away from where I live that I don't find it too distracting. I do distinctly remember trying to figure out while reading the first one where the setting was supposed to be and being confused between Canada and UK.

Dvds are better anyway. Then you can see the frocks!

Okay, all of a sudden into my awareness has come the realization that both of you have accents different from the usual American & Canadian ones in my head. So now when I read your posts I'm reading them with that aural landscape (British and Australian) going on in my mind :lol:

And, I suppose I need to read the latest Flavia installment, The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches, because it needs to go back to the library soon.

My favorite excuse for reading instead of doing housework.  Anything with a deadline is easier to get done.

This week I have gotten a little sidetracked in my reading, but I am glad it happened. I just finished Mothering and Daughtering: Keeping Your Bond Strong Through the Teen Years http://www.amazon.com/Mothering-Daughtering-Keeping-Strong-Through/dp/1604078855/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390765232&sr=1-1&keywords=mothering+and+daughtering+keeping+your+bond+strong+through+the+teen+years by Sil and Eliza Reynolds. I'll admit to coming to it slightly late (my girls are 18 and 16...) but there were messages there for my teenage self, my mothering self, and all of my selves in between that were very healing. If you have a preteen or teenage girl I highly recommend this book! I am purchasing copies for both of my girls.

This looks interesting.  Thanks for the review.

I came across this Neil Gaiman piece from October of last year.  It's well worth the read.  And my apologies if it has already been posted.

Neil Gaiman: Why our future depends on libraries, reading and daydreaming

Regards,

Kareni

Great article!  Thanks for the link!

I finished my 4th book this week Secrets of an Organized Mom by Reich and reviewed it.  I didn't get a chance to start  A Morbid Taste for Bones yet because I loaned it to my mom to read while she was visiting.

Waiting to read

Antigone by Sophocles (for discussion with DD, hopefully will finish this week)

A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis (also hoping to finish for 12th century challenge  since the play is not too long)

Sandstorm by Rollins (hoping to start by the weekend)

a stack of others (so another no checking out new books until the current stack is decreased week

In Progress

Bible - currently most of the way through Exodus and still on track for the year

History of the Ancient World by Bauer - didn't get to this week due to company

Finished

4.  Secrets of an Organized Mom by Reich (non-fiction)

3.  Phantastes by MacDonald (classic lit)

2.  The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Bradley (BaW rec)

1.  Odyssey by Homer (ancient lit)

I also figured out my 5/5/5 categories for the year:  ancient lit, medieval lit, classic lit, non-fiction, and BaW rec

Has anyone read the Earth's Children series?  Can you give me an age range?  I think the story sounds fascinating, but I'm careful about what my pre teen reads.  No sex or drugs and violence in graphic detail.

Are you talking about Jean M.Auel?  If so, I would not recommend these for a pre-teen or a teen.  If I remember correctly, it's been a few years, the first book has a rape scene.  The third and fourth books have graphic sex scenes.  I can't remember the second book, but it may also have had a sex scene.  (Can't remember when she meets Jondalar).  There were some violent scenes in book one for sure.  Overall the first four books are filled with graphic detail of all sorts.  

I began reading these in 10th grade and made it through book 4.  While waiting for the 5th book I changed my reading habits and have never finished the series.  They are too R-rated for my tastes now.  

"Tomorrow is the day for many new releases for those who follow some of my favorite authors. The much awaited Up from the Grave (Night Huntress) by Jeanine Frost comes out."

:crying: I'm going to miss Cat and Bones.  I'll admit I had tears in my eyes at one point, I'm blaming PMS. I give Jeanine Frost a lot of credit for telling the story the way she intended and finishing up when she did, you can read more about her decision on her website, the grave stops here.  I can't wait to visit some old friends in the final book of the Night Prince trilogy.  

Okay, all of a sudden into my awareness has come the realization that both of you have accents different from the usual American & Canadian ones in my head. So now when I read your posts I'm reading them with that aural landscape (British and Australian) going on in my mind :lol:

:lol: Just so you know I speak with a distinct American accent according to all my neighbors!

So many wonderful pictures in this book! And very much in keeping with the theme here :D

Have you spent time in the US or perhaps you're American?

Sorry, I should have explained better. We are duel nationals. We only moved over permanently 7 years ago. Thats why I can't resist my travel agentish tours of the UK at times in my posts. We are leaving for a break in the States next week to visit family and friends so our accents will become very midwestern soon.

I think I missed a week or two!

This week I finished up the Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu.  I really enjoyed the last book.  For some reason I felt a lot of anxiety while I was reading book 3 (Champion).  It was an odd feeling, but I was really worried about Day throughout the book.  Happily, the ending was very satisfying.  I liked the way the author kept the story going throughout the 3 books, bringing in more history of the distopian world.  All in all it is my favorite YA trilogy that I've read lately.  

I also finished Unbroken.  It was a fascinating book about WWII in the pacific.  It seems like there is some kind of taboo about Japan vs US, so that was interesting.  After reading Code Name Verity and The Book Thief, it was nice to read a different side of the war.  One thought I had, though, is that all of the sweet stories of WW2 that I have read are set in Germany or England.  Have you read any set in Japan that you would recommend?   I thought the information in Unbroken was fascinating - the flight info - I didn't realize so many crews were lost just in training! The ocean survival - crazy!  The POW camps - terrible... but I didn't really love reading the book.  

I'm not sure what to read next...

7. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption - Laura Hillenbrand

6. Champion, Marie Lu

5. Prodigy, Marie Lu

4. Legend, Marie Lu

3. The Book Thief, Markus Zusak

2. Rapture, Lauren Kate

1. Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein

Well I started reading Beatrix Potter A Life In Nature last week. It is a very thick book and I didn't get too far because of a swim meet and b-day party this weekend. Also so far it hasn't really captivated me. Yesterday I decided to get out the book Night and finally read it. I have owned it for awhile and read part of it several years ago. I almost finished it last night but had to go to bed eventually. I will most likely finish it this evening. It is a quick read and very captivating which are both pluses for me. :)

I'm currently reading Winter Pony, a juvenile fiction book about the race to the South Pole from the point of view of the pony. It is a quick read but it is over 100 pages. :hat:  Anyway, it finishes up my winter themed month. The writing is not memorable and needless to say the story is not pleasant for the pony, but it does give you a sense of the  conditions that man and beast endured to reach the goal. I also checked out Snowflake Bentley, but I won't count that. :lol:

Today, I brought home a stack of books, to get ready for next month. In keeping with The Inferno, which I will attempt to read, my February theme will encompass death, mythology, and fantasy in related forms. Plus, I want to read a couple more 12th century related items.

I finished my 12th Century read, A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters.  I enjoyed the book as a whole as well as Brother Cadfael.  I had one part of the mystery figured out but was woefully inaccurate on the other.  I don't know if it was my copy or the writing, but the sentences in particular seemed a little stilted.  I would be reading along then, whether it was a typo or just a different style of writing, I'd be wondering what was being said and have to reread to figure it out.  It was a little weird. I also thought it took a while to set up the characters and story.  But that seems to be a common complaint of mine so far this year so maybe it is me.  Or more specifically maybe it is because I spent so long with the same characters/story last year that I have forgotten how regular reading works  :glare: I did enjoy Cadfael's cleverness and thought the last half of the book skipped along wonderfully.  I enjoyed the ending, especially the last chapter which was really an epilogue.  

I am reading Anna of Byzantium with dd13 as our read aloud.  Does anyone know if I should count this as 11th or 12th century?  I think the date spans both.

1 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Women of Christmas by Liz Curtis Higgs

2 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Michael Vey: The Prisoner of Cell 25 by Richard Paul Evans

3 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis

4 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Michael Vey:  The Rise of the Elgin by Richard Paul Evans

5 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Soulless by Gail Carriger

6 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley

7 - A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters (12th Century & BaW recommended)

I think I missed a week or two!

This week I finished up the Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu.  I really enjoyed the last book.  For some reason I felt a lot of anxiety while I was reading book 3 (Champion).  It was an odd feeling, but I was really worried about Day throughout the book.  Happily, the ending was very satisfying.  I liked the way the author kept the story going throughout the 3 books, bringing in more history of the distopian world.  All in all it is my favorite YA trilogy that I've read lately.  

I also finished Unbroken.  It was a fascinating book about WWII in the pacific.  It seems like there is some kind of taboo about Japan vs US, so that was interesting.  After reading Code Name Verity and The Book Thief, it was nice to read a different side of the war.  One thought I had, though, is that all of the sweet stories of WW2 that I have read are set in Germany or England.  Have you read any set in Japan that you would recommend?   I thought the information in Unbroken was fascinating - the flight info - I didn't realize so many crews were lost just in training! The ocean survival - crazy!  The POW camps - terrible... but I didn't really love reading the book.  

I'm not sure what to read next...

Well, it isn't really about the war, but it definitely goes along with reading about it.  I love this book.

[edited to remove picture]

Well, it isn't really about the war, but it definitely goes along with reading about it.  I love this book.

27323.jpg

This is an awesome book. I've read it twice. One of the highlights of my life is getting to meet the author when he came to our high school.

ETA: Code Talker  by Joseph Bruchac is also set in the Pacific. Dh and I both enjoyed it.

This is an awesome book. I've read it twice. One of the highlights of my life is getting to meet the author when he came to our high school.

ETA: Code Talker by Joseph Bruchac is also set in the Pacific. Dh and I both enjoyed it.

How exciting to have met the author!

My memory about this book was my 5th grade english teacher reading it aloud to us. The whole class would be on the edge of our seats, and beg her to keep going.

I'm finding audiobooks to be invaluable. I finished both Eat That Frog and The Slight Edge this week. (Personal development, efficiency books) I'm an organization and productivity junkie:)

Would you be willing to list a few of your favorite organization books?

I am reading Anna of Byzantium with dd13 as our read aloud.  Does anyone know if I should count this as 11th or 12th century?  I think the date spans both.

The book blurb on Amazon from Publishers Weekly states that the story was "Inspired by the real Anna Comnena (1083-1153) who chronicled her father's reign in The Alexiad, the story begins in a convent, where 17-year-old Anna lives in exile."  At age 17 the year for the real Anna would have been 1100, so I think either 11th or 12th century would be appropriate.

Regards,

Kareni

6. "The Continuous Conversion" by Brad Wilcox (LDS).

5. "The Continuous Atonement" by Brad Wilcox (LDS).
4. "Finding Hope" by S. Michael Wilcox (LDS).
3. "When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered" by S. Michael Wilcox (LDS).
2. "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" by J.K. Rowling. (Read-aloud)
1. "The Peacegiver: How Christ Offers to Heal Our Hearts and Homes" by James L. Ferrell (LDS).

It was a tough year for us last year (steadily worsening mental health issues in DH and DS), and it doesn't look to be over yet, so at least for the beginning of the year, I'll be reading not so much for intellectual challenge or entertainment, but more for, um, I don't know, emotional and spiritual recentering. I don't know what else to call it. Also for information needed to understand what's going on. I don't plan to sum up what I'm reading for a while, just list the title and author, and since many will probably be by authors from my faith (LDS), I'll put that in parenthesis when it applies as well.

On a whim I decided to request A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters from my library this week and they are all reserved/checked out.  I was amazed.  The book has got to be 30 years old and a not on the recent hotness list.  Then I see everyone here talking about it and realize:

• I must have gotten the idea to check it out from here and forgot that I got the idea from here
  • WTM gals are using my library

Anytime we start talking about an obscure or older book on this thread it is instantly checked out of my library. Coincidence?  I think not.  

I'm finding audiobooks to be invaluable. I finished both Eat That Frog and The Slight Edge this week. (Personal development, efficiency books) I'm an organization and productivity junkie:)

Me too.  Did you prefer one book to the other?

On a whim I decided to request A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters from my library this week and they are all reserved/checked out.  I was amazed.  The book has got to be 30 years old and a not on the recent hotness list.  Then I see everyone here talking about it and realize:

• I must have gotten the idea to check it out from here and forgot that I got the idea from here

Anytime we start talking about an obscure or older book on this thread it is instantly checked out of my library. Coincidence?  I think not.  

Lol!  Its not me!  My library didn't even have a copy!  I ordered a cheap used copy from Amazon  ;)   It's weird though,  I thought that I had checked this out from the library once before and didn't end up reading it.  Maybe it was a different book from the series.

Once I finish The Lunatic, I'm not sure if I want to pick Loop up, or read another book I've got in my stack called The Devotion of Suspect X, by Keigo Higashino.  I think I want to read one or two more books from Japan, and then I will be ready to move on.  When do we move to the next country?

February we'll be moving on to Italy and reading Dante's Inferno, reading 13th century books and all things Italian.  I know, a broad leap from Japan but there will be a method to my madness.  Sort of! :lol:

I finished rereading The Passage and so glad I did, since didn't remember most of it.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and like Cronin's writing. The story kept me enthralled and I fell in like with the characters.   Will take a break, haven't decided with which book yet, before diving into The Twelve.   Have to go peruse my shelves.  I am reading a writing book -  The Right to Write by Julia Cameron. She always makes me want to write more:  

Writing is a lot like driving a country blacktop highway on a hot summer day.  There is a wavery magical spot that shimmers on the horizon. You aim toward it. You speed to get there, and when you do, the 'there' vanishes.  You look up to see it again, shimmering in the distance. You write towards that.

and the poets and writers of the group will like this:

Poet James Nave calls this 'poetic vision.'  He claims that all of us have it if we will just give ourselves permission to see the poetry that surrounds us. He talks about focusing a minute at a time, a thing at a time, on whatever catches our interest.  This is what the Buddhists call living mindfully. I call it living 'heartfully' and buried in that word 'heart' is the word 'art' and and another word,  'ear'.  Writing is the art of a listening heart. 

I think the same can be said for reading.   Now that I've decided to slow down my reading and savor rather than gulp books, I'm appreciating them more and seeing all the nuances and flavors.

HI! I'd like to rejoin the challenge this year. I didn't post much last year, but I enjoyed reading these weekly threads. All of you ladies have such wonderful recommendations! Last year was the first year I ever kept track of my reading. I logged 33 books, hoping to inch closer to 52 this year.

I'm in the middle of reading Ann Leary's The Good House. I like the voice of Hildy, the main character. Leary is slowly revealing her traits through interactions with other colorful characters in the historical, upscale Massachusetts town.

2014 so far...

4.  The Good House

3.  Killing Jesus

2.  I am Malala

1.  Inferno 

Welcome back!

Well last week I finally finished The Husband by Dean Koontz and that same day House of Hades came in at the library so that is my new read this week.  It's only my 4th book so I am already feeling behind but it is what it is.  I used to read in bed before falling asleep, only now I am so tired when I get into bed I am asleep almost instantly without reading.  I need to find a way to get some more reading time in my day.

How did I miss The Husband. Added it to my wishlist.  Enjoying reading many of Koontz's books.   Hope you find some reading time in your day! 

I'm a little behind on posting this year, I will try to do better.  :blushing:

I think I ran into Diana Rowland on one of these threads, so a big thank you to whomever might have mentioned her!  I finished the Kara Gillian series which begins with The Mark of the Demon.  

"When Homicide Detective Kara Gillian finds traces of arcane power on a body, she quickly realizes that this is no ordinary murder. The serial killer known as the Symbol Man is a nightmare that Beaulac, Louisiana thought had ended three years ago, but now he's back for an encore and leaving every indication on the flesh of his victims that he is well-versed in demonic lore.

However, Kara is a Summoner of Demons, and may be the only cop on the city's small force who can stop the killer. Able to see and interact with a world most people can't, Kara must draw on her skills as a police officer and master of the arcane to stop the Symbol Man from killing again and possibly summoning something even she can't control.

But with a demonic lord of unearthly beauty and power haunting her dreams, and a handsome yet disapproving FBI agent dogging her waking footsteps, she may be in way over her head...."

Book five, Touch of a Demon, threw me for a loop.  It has a very different feel to it than the other books, but I'm glad I stuck with it because it was necessary world building and book six was more like the rest of the series.  To bad the author only releases one book in this series each year...

I just started working on a second Robyn Carr series, Thunder Point.  Currently I'm at about 70% through The Wanderer. Then I'll either move on to the second book, or go back to James Rollins.  I have The Devil Colony out from the library.  

Tomorrow is the day for many new releases for those who follow some of my favorite authors. The much awaited Up from the Grave (Night Huntress) by Jeanine Frost comes out.  I've also been waiting for Forged in Ash by Trish McCallan for quite a while so I'll have to go back and review the first book so I can remember why. :)

Oh I love you! I missed that Fury of the Demon was available.  Well, I know what I'm reading next now.  :)   And you are welcome. I love that series.  Go back and read the Devil Colony, first.  Carr's 2nd book in the series, The Newcomer, not as good imho.

I was sick all last week, that made it too hard to focus on anything other than "The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag" and "I am Half Sick of Shadows". Both by Alan Bradley. Engaging enough for laying on the couch for long stretches at a time.

Hope you are feeling better this week. 

I finished Susanna Kearsley's 'The Winter Sea' tonight. The book is set in 18th century Aberdeenshire, Scotland during the time of one of the Jacobite uprisings and is a time-travel/historical fiction tale with romance etched all around the edges.

Round about the half-way mark the characters started to gather a kind of slow steam as did the events surrounding them in a measured way that lent a certain kind of refinement to the overall feeling of the book. I slowed my reading down to savor the story. I haven't had this kind of reaction to a book in a while though it may have less to do with the book and more to do with refinding my reading groove, thanks in big part to the BaW group and Robin's masterful steering of our sweet little ship.

The three main female characters in this book are very likeable. They are lovely, strong yet yielding women. I will say that I was least drawn to the modern-day character as she felt the least fleshed out and accordingly that aspect of the story was weakest. The landscape/nature/weather was described in a way that it became another character in the story. I liked this especially, her descriptive passages of the constancy of the sea's presence amidst its changeability, the jagged beach, the bleak, beautiful hills, the ongoing sky, the rain and mutable winds and the sprawling castle, Slains, (seen above) set down amidst all of that. Very well done.

I found the writing to be relatively restrained given the genre and the characterizations, while fairly traditional, weren't too heavy handed. The only exception here was a scene towards the end which dragged on emotionally and could have been cut by 2/3. I was irritated because it's a fairly pivotal scene and that in itself rendered the need for driving the point home so obviously unnecessary. But that's the only glaring flaw in an otherwise enjoyable book. The ending was a complete and welcome surprise! I love it when that happens.

The author used a format that I very much enjoy. A.S. Bayatt's, 'Possession' and John Fowle's, 'The French Lieutenant's Woman', both of which I loved, used this same technique in which there are two parallel stories unfolding, the reader moving back and forth across centuries. In 'The Winter Sea' the reader is stepping nimbly from 18th century Scotland to 21st century Scotland, the locale being exactly the same. And 'nimble' is the right word, there was no sense of tripping as one stepped through the shadowy thresholds of each era.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed this and am keen to read more of her writing. I don't want to tear myself away from 18th century Scotland and the Jacobites but Harold Frye's pilgrimage is awaiting on overdrive.

slains-castle-159.jpg

I finished Susanna Kearsley's 'The Winter Sea' tonight. The book is set in 18th century Aberdeenshire, Scotland during the time of one of the Jacobite uprisings and is a time-travel/historical fiction tale with romance etched all around the edges.

Round about the half-way mark the characters started to gather a kind of slow steam as did the events surrounding them in a measured way that lent a certain kind of refinement to the overall feeling of the book. I slowed my reading down to savor the story. I haven't had this kind of reaction to a book in a while though it may have less to do with the book and more to do with refinding my reading groove, thanks in big part to the BaW group and Robin's masterful steering of our sweet little ship.

The three main female characters in this book are very likeable. They are lovely, strong yet yielding women. I will say that I was least drawn to the modern-day character as she felt the least fleshed out and accordingly that aspect of the story was weakest. The landscape/nature/weather was described in a way that it became another character in the story. I liked this especially, her descriptive passages of the constancy of the sea's presence amidst its changeability, the jagged beach, the bleak, beautiful hills, the ongoing sky, the rain and mutable winds and the sprawling castle, Slains, (seen above) set down amidst all of that. Very well done.

I found the writing to be relatively restrained given the genre and the characterizations, while fairly traditional, weren't too heavy handed. The only exception here was a scene towards the end which dragged on emotionally and could have been cut by 2/3. I was irritated because it's a fairly pivotal scene and that in itself rendered the need for driving the point home so obviously unnecessary. But that's the only glaring flaw in an otherwise enjoyable book. The ending was a complete and welcome surprise! I love it when that happens.

The author used a format that I very much enjoy. A.S. Bayatt's, 'Possession' and John Fowle's, 'The French Lieutenant's Woman', both of which I loved, used this same technique in which there are two parallel stories unfolding, the reader moving back and forth across centuries. In 'The Winter Sea' the reader is stepping nimbly from 18th century Scotland to 21st century Scotland, the locale being exactly the same. And 'nimble' is the right word, there was no sense of tripping as one stepped through the shadowy thresholds of each era.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed this and am keen to read more of her writing. I don't want to tear myself away from 18th century Scotland and the Jacobites but Harold Frye's pilgrimage is awaiting on overdrive.

Awww, what a fabulous review.  I'd pop to the library right now and see if they have it, but it's 6:15 in the morning here.

Was it was you, as well, who recommended Mary Szybist's Incarnadine?  I just got it yesterday, and am doling the poems out slowly, so they last.

I must say, as a BAW newbie, I am suffering a substantial tension between slowing down to savor it vs. the alarming rate at which new recommendations are piling up.

I dont remeber posted the Frost blog about her series, but beause of that post andthe reviews, I have added it to my list. Ive resisted those type of books, but these have intrigued me. We will see.

Ive put down Confessions because the writing is annoying me. Starting the next in the Decker/ Lazaurus series and ive started an audiobook too.

Finished The Surgeon's Mate (Patrick O'Brian, Aubrey/Maturin #7) last night in between rounds of nursing duty.  Right now I've got one teenager recovering from a pretty nasty head cold and a dh who came down suddenly with what looks like the flu.  My other teenager has been hiding out in his room while I madly Lysol and Clorox every stationary surface in the house.  We missed the snow that has gridlocked the rest of the Southeast, so I'm thankful for that at least.

I hope the sick ones feel better soon and the rest of you stay healthy!

Awww, what a fabulous review. I'd pop to the library right now and see if they have it, but it's 6:15 in the morning here.

Was it was you, as well, who recommended Mary Szybist's Incarnadine? I just got it yesterday, and am doling the poems out slowly, so they last.

I must say, as a BAW newbie, I am suffering a substantial tension between slowing down to savor it vs. the alarming rate at which new recommendations are piling up.

Thank you! And yes, I recommended 'Incarnadine'. I'll be curious to see how you like it. I, too, doled the poems out to myself :D

I recently finished "Last Train to Istanbul" by Ayse Kulin and found it to be very interesting. A couple BaWer's read it at the end of last year so I thought I would try it for my geography challenge. It started a bit slow for me but by the end I was really involved. The story itself isn't true as told because the author put many true stories together in order to write the book. It is the story of the rescue of both Turkish and non Turkish Jews from France during the Nazi occupation.

Finally, finally, finally finished The Goldfinch. Never had I so wanted a book to end. I was listening on audio book and was enjoying the story but then it just seemed to go on and on. I think it could have ended about 300 pages earlier. I wasn't that pleased how it all turned out either. I'm waiting for the book that really grabs me this year - I've already abandoned several.

Can I join late? I've been meaning to post and do this, but haven't yet : D

So far this year I've read:

1. "The Ladies' Paradise" by Emile Zola

2. "Shopping, Seduction & Mr. Selfridge" by Lindy Woodhead

3. "Of Human Bondage" by W. Somerset Maugham

4. "The Splendour Falls" by Susanna Kearsley

Currently reading "A Study in Scarlet" (Sherlock Holmes) by Arthur Conan Doyle, but I'm not having much patience with it, so I'm going to focus more on "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" by Anne Bronte.

Tonight I'm going to book club which will probably determine what I'll read week 6 or 7 :) Loving all the titles here. Going to pad my wishlist at Amazon!

Now that I've decided to slow down my reading and savor rather than gulp books, I'm appreciating them more and seeing all the nuances and flavors.

This is what I'm doing with Mrs. Dalloway. Savoring. It's my first time on a trip with Woolf and I'm savoring. Loving it. It's been awhile since I felt a deep connection with a book. Not just enjoying a book but connecting with it.

The same thoughts have run through my head when I find a long line of hold requests at the library for a book discussed here.  Is there a huge lurker contingent reading our thread each week, looking for book recommendations?! 

Your reviews and posts are so lovely to read!  I have to confess there are times I don't savor an author's words.  Sometimes, if a story is particularly gripping, I find myself skimming ahead to find out what happens next.  I wonder from time to time if I've been guilty of totally glossing over some lovely paragraphs the author was particularly proud of, something that been painstakingly crafted.  

Finished The Surgeon's Mate (Patrick O'Brian, Aubrey/Maturin #7) last night in between rounds of nursing duty.  Right now I've got one teenager recovering from a pretty nasty head cold and a dh who came down suddenly with what looks like the flu.  My other teenager has been hiding out in his room while I madly Lysol and Clorox every stationary surface in the house.  We missed the snow that has gridlocked the rest of the Southeast, so I'm thankful for that at least.

Oh Ms. Hedgehog, put down the clorox and Lysol for a moment and give us a quick review of Surgeon's Mate!  It is the next title for me in the series and I'm a bit leery of it since it looks to be a more land-locked story.  

Sending healthy best wishes for everyone who has been battling the family flu merry-go-round.  Seems like we've had several flu-ridden BaW families this month.  

I'm sorry if this is a re-post, but if any of you are, like me, thinking about the Patrick O Brien series, the first book is $1.99 on kindle. 

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Commander-Aubrey-Maturin-book-ebook/dp/B006C3Q6GG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1391024916&sr=8-9&keywords=surgeons+mate

Thank goodness for swagbuck gift cards :)