Menu

Which curriculum matches Liping Ma's philosophy better, MIF, or Primary Math?

I just started reading Knowing and TEaching Elementary Mathematics and I'm trying to decide which curriculum to use.  I'm really torn between Math in Focus and Primary Mathematics.  At first I thought MIF would work better for us, but my concern is that it seems to have become more Americanized than perhaps PM.  My only experience with PM was a couple of years ago I tried using it with my older children and we just didn't get it.  We started in 3a.  Neither my children or myself had learned math that way so it was a real struggle and we dropped it.  Since then I've learned a lot more about math and how to teach it so I feel more comfortable teaching my younder dc.  I'm just really stumped on which one to use.

Thoughts?  Can anyone compare the two with Liping Ma's philosophy for me? 

I would recommend that you read the book Elementary Mathematics for Teachers.  It explains the hows and whys of teaching math the "Singapore way."  Then I would work through the problems in whatever series you choose ahead of your children (at least one or two levels ahead).  I wouldn't use either series before *you* have a solid understanding of how to teach the math the way in which it is presented. 

I wouldn't use either series before *you* have a solid understanding of how to teach the math the way in which it is presented. 

:iagree:  I think Liping Ma's philosophy would be that the *teacher* is the most important part of the math. 

MIF is from the Singapore My Pals Are Here. In terms of content, don't worry about americanization. They just made it pretty. Either program is equally good in terms of Liping Ma's approach. MIF will be nicer looking and have more built in word problems I believe. Singapore PM may be cheaper, though I'm not certain. You don't need the teacher's manuals for MIF, at least through 4th grade. I've not used beyond that.

If you start at the start, I think I'll think you'll be fine. I suspect the issue with Singapore before was launching in at 3rd grade. I wouldn't do that with either program.

Can someone link to the book Elementary Mathematics for Teachers?

I've already read Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics, but I've seen this other book mentioned a few times and would like to read it.

Thanks!

http://www.singaporemath.com/Elementary_Mathematics_for_Teachers_p/emft.htm

It is meant to be used in conjunction with the student books. Scroll down this page for a list of those needed. There is a link to alternates for those who are using the Standards edition. Going through this book was the best thing I did for my kids' elementary math education. 

Can someone link to the book Elementary Mathematics for Teachers?

I've already read Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics, but I've seen this other book mentioned a few times and would like to read it.

Thanks!

It is also available at cbd

http://www.christianbook.com/singapore-elementary-mathematics-for-teachers/9780974814001/pd/814008?item_code=WW&netp_id=514614&event=ESRCG&view=details

:iagree:  I think Liping Ma's philosophy would be that the *teacher* is the most important part of the math. 

I cannot agree with this more! My boys' school here in SEAsia uses Singapore books (My Pals are Here) with very un-Singapore methods. Let me just say that the magic is *not* in the books themselves. (I had no idea something as brilliant as Singapore could be taught so badly...) So yes, read Liping Ma!

Totally agree with the last post!

I taught DS using Singapore Primary for 4 years and we both loved it. This year he is at a private school doing MIF (level 4) and is miserable. He is coming home with directions to memorize algorithms and seems to have lost all the mental math and conceptual strategies we had done so well with the previous 4 years. His teacher is just "drilling" and "teaching" in a very traditional manner even with the Asian mathematics curriculum. It's been a disaster.

Luckily, I have extensively researched the Asian way to teach math (including Liping Ma's book) so I have gone back to helping my DS with the correct way (the Asian way) to think about and work the MIF math program. Of course, I'm thinking why bother using an Asian math program if you don't know how to teach it or don't even seem to notice that it should be taught "differently?"Yikes!

You didn't list it as an option, but Singapore Math is very well-aligned with Liping Ma's recommendations.

The curriculum emphasizes developing deep mathematical understanding - rather than just mindlessly following algorithms - and the Home Instructor's Guide can help you effectively introduce conceptually challenging subjects. 

You didn't list it as an option, but Singapore Math is very well-aligned with Liping Ma's recommendations.

The curriculum emphasizes developing deep mathematical understanding - rather than just mindlessly following algorithms - and the Home Instructor's Guide can help you effectively introduce conceptually challenging subjects.

I believe the OP was referring to Singapore Math. Primary Mathematics is title of their elementary level. The book Elementary Mathematics for Teachers that was recommended and linked uses the SM Primary Math volumes as part of the teacher instruction.

I believe the OP was referring to Singapore Math. Primary Mathematics is title of their elementary level. The book Elementary Mathematics for Teachers that was recommended and linked uses the SM Primary Math volumes as part of the teacher instruction.

Yes, I was referring to Singapore Primary Mathematics in my original post. 

I haven't had time to come back and add anything further.  My brain has been stretched pretty thin this week so I don't have much space left for an intellectual. conversation.  ;)

I've not personally taught Primary Mathematics but that is what my 7 year old was doing in his public school for K and 1st. We are now doing Math in Focus for 2nd and I do not see a change in content, only in the way it is arranged. I really like the way it is laid out and the text book appeals to my son.