Menu

What do you budget for birthday parties

AnnaM

We have gotten to where we only do the "big" numbers for parties so I have a bigger budget than I would normally have if we did one every year. For my daughter's 10th we are budgeting about $350-$500. I am DIYing a lot of this party (a tea party), but since she hasn't had a party in about 5 years I want it to be really nice for her. Anyways, I was just curious to see how others budgeted.

We usually spend around $250 and we have one every year.  Unfortunately all the grandparents and a lot of aunts/uncles live about 2 hours away.  We are blessed that they always want to spend time with our children for their birthdays, so it's just easier to do it in one big family party instead of having visitors all through the month.  The biggest expense is generally the food, and then the rest goes to décor/entertainment/etc.

The most I ever spent on a b-day was probably about $300--it was a magic show and pizza for 30 kids and parents when my oldest turned 9.  We got a discount on the magician because we were on his route to somewhere else.  Most b-days are family parties with lunch(usually fried chicken or pizza) homemade cake and ice cream.  I probably spend less than $100 for those.

I spend around $40.  That is for snacks, ingredients for cake and ice cream.  We have reusable decorations and blow up balloons.  For entertainment, we play games.  We don't give out prizes or goodie bags.  This includes all the cousins and a few friends

Depends on what we're doing—we let the child mostly choose what they'd like (friends over, family meal out, Chuck E. Cheese, etc.) I think the most we ever did was DS's birthday last year, around $125 to rent the WIBIT water obstacle course at the local pool, plus a little more for ingredients for a homemade LEGO cake.

Erica in OR

We usually just have a couple of friends spend the night & watch a movie, play games, eat snacks & have cake. Last year we rented a bounce house place for a couple of hours and could have 20 guests. That was $150. Normally birthday parties are local and low key though. We usually budget for the gift, food, and party favors - which is normally for only a few kids sleeping over

I try to spend less than $150 total. This year was DS's first group party in 3 years. Last year I took him and one friend to an expensive entertainment park. They had a party package but at closer to $50/kid I decided my money was better spent taking two and letting them get a small toy in the gift shop. The year before that I took him and a friend to the ice rink to play hockey at the day time stick and puck.

It really varies. But usually at least $100 - $200. This year DD6 is making it easy on me....her birthday is about a month and a half away and she wants a Chuck E Cheese party. So we'll have it on a weekday (cheaper) and invite some kids. It will run about $120, I think. But I don't have to do anything LOL!

However, I really do enjoy planning my kids parties. I love when they choose a theme and I get to plan everything around it. I believe the most expensive to date was when oldest DD turned 5. We had a Webkinz party with all sorts of activities from the game. Two years ago, when our middle DD turned 5 probably wasn't too far behind in cost though....we had a fancy tea party.

In April, my oldest DD will be turning 10 and we're having a "bigger" party for her....it's going to be Minecraft. I've found a lot of stuff on pinterest that I can actually make at home. But there will be some costs involved, of course. And next month my nephew (who lives with us), is turning 18 and wants a Dr Who theme.....I think I'm going to be able to get by with only about $100 for that.

We usually buy a cake, drinks and pizza.  That's it.  Last time, Hobbes had nine friends over to camp in the garden.  They all brought their own (or borrowed) tents.  I fed them pizza and cake inside and they played outside.  Then they trooped in to brush teeth and went out to sleep in the tents.  In the morning, I fed them cereal/toast.  Oh, and I bought them a fun flashlight each, so about £20 on that.  Total - about £50.

This year, Calvin wanted to take some friends out to a Thai restaurant.  The friends would only let him pay half, so that cost us £40.  We also bought him a cake, so that's about another £6.  Total £46

L

It really varied when the kids were young. Probably averaged around $150-200. Depended on if it was home or we did a bowling party. Some years more, some less. When they were past about 12, we'd take them with a few friends somewhere special, like to see a play, and dinner. Those years were more expensive.

My kids are all older now, but when they were younger, it probably ranged from between $50-$150.  Mostly, it would be at the lesser end.  Keep in mind that I live in a small town where big birthday options (like a pizza place that specializes in birthday parties or a magician that you could hire) is non-existent.  We did hire a magician once but it was my son, who was 12 years old and did it for free.  :)

We usually spend about $50 - $100. I have 2 kids that share a birthday. We usually spend $100 on their party. It is usually 15-20 kids and at home. We make the cake and snacks. I plan and prepare the activities/games. We don't do a lot of decorating. We do have favors.

I like to have a theme and plan around that. We have done Peter Pan, Shrek, Lego, and Pirates & Princesses. I have a boy and a girl sharing these parties. So, I think the joint parties will be drawing to a close soon.

Several of you have mentioned shared parties. I know shared birthday parties are easier but.......................................... my sister and I have birthdays one day apart. That meant lots of shared birthday parties. We both really hated it. We understood that the family party needed to be shared as family drove up to an hour to get there and couldn't come two days in a row.  We would have rather had smaller "friends" parties that were our "own", where we were the only one being celebrated. Selfish perhaps, but it was the way we felt. I think it's fine for really young kids (under 5) but when they get older, consider letting them have their own special time, please. I was 12 when my mom finally got "it".

I should say I factor in our gifts to the birthday child in our budget. She is interested in art so we will likely invest in getting her a standing easel, some canvases and such. I also plan on having some of her current pieces framed. I guess the party itself will probably stay right around $200, but again, this is her first party in 5 years so I am going a bit over the top with decorations and food :)

Those of you who throw parties for under $50 I applaud you. Even when we used to throw smallish parties by the time I ordered enough $5 pizzas and juice boxes I was over $50. Never mind cake and all that. On non-party years we take the birthday child out for a special treat and they get a gift from us. That usually stays under $50 just depending on where we eat.

We budget $100.  They can do whatever they want with that within reason (except buy themselves a gift).  Choices have ranged from taking a few friends roller skating and then eating cupcakes, to going to the movies, bringing 3 friends to build-a-bear, to a home party with more friends.  

:blink: :eek: :svengo:

Southern California is pricey, and we live on a sailboat, so have to go somewhere to hold the party. One year, we did a cooking class in La Jolla and had 20+ kids. Yeah, it's ridiculous. I get that.

We spend about $100 on the party and an additional $100 in gifts.  My kids choose a theme each year and my Cricut and I go crazy ;).  I love to throw a big party, so it gives me great joy that my kids love them, too.  I usually start a pinterest board on the theme they choose about six months in advance and wait until paper goes on sale 4 for $1 at Hobby Lobby.  I use coupons for fabric, tulle, and ribbons and buy them gradually, and I usually order a shirt from Etsy.  We give goody bags but I can generally find pretty cheap stuff at Party City (my kids are young enough to be thrilled with temporary tattoos, pencils, high bounce balls, and rainbow loom bands :)). My daughter has chosen Sofia the first this year so we are going all out with lavender, a handmade Sofia dress, and Target had Sofia gift packs for $3.00 for the goody bags, yay!  I make the cake and all the food (again, we are at the age where PB&J and chips are the favorite food, which saves us a lot.

The usual budget is nothing ( $0 ), though I did buy DD12 a new Twister game for her party last year since the spinner had broken.  There was a year when DS wanted to go with a friend to see a particular movie - that ended up costing about $20 for tickets and popcorn.  DD20 requested a cake from a particularly amazing bakery here in town this year and that was about $30.  But since everyone enjoyed the cake, it was money well spent.

We had years with really big birthday parties, but we try to plan them around free activities - sledding, cookies and hot chocolate, a park with a cool playground with cupcakes and cups of water. 

Several of you have mentioned shared parties. I know shared birthday parties are easier but.......................................... my sister and I have birthdays one day apart. That meant lots of shared birthday parties. We both really hated it. We understood that the family party needed to be shared as family drove up to an hour to get there and couldn't come two days in a row.  We would have rather had smaller "friends" parties that were our "own", where we were the only one being celebrated. Selfish perhaps, but it was the way we felt. I think it's fine for really young kids (under 5) but when they get older, consider letting them have their own special time, please. I was 12 when my mom finally got "it".

My older two have birthdays about 2 weeks apart.  We did separate parties when they were younger, but now they have requested to have shared parties.  They get separate cakes and they can do their own theme if they want to do that.  They really enjoy planning it together and it has worked out great.  I can see that some children may prefer to do things separate, and if that is what my kids wanted I would respect that.

My older two have birthdays about 2 weeks apart.  We did separate parties when they were younger, but now they have requested to have shared parties.  They get separate cakes and they can do their own theme if they want to do that.  They really enjoy planning it together and it has worked out great.  I can see that some children may prefer to do things separate, and if that is what my kids wanted I would respect that.

The key here is that it is their choice............ and that you still make it individually special. I can remember getting to pick my cake every other year........ It's funny, most things from my childhood don't bother me, especially in regards to "fair".... I know life isn't fair, and accept that........ but the birthday thing has followed me into adulthood. My sister says the same thing.

My youngest will be 12 tomorrow.  We had her party this past Saturday.  I spent about $100.  This included food (taco bar) cake ( homemade--but I'm a professional level cake decorator), game equipment (2 Zing bow and arrow sets) and prizes (2 small for each of the 11 guests).

Her party lasted 4 hours-- they had 'archery' contests, other assorted target contests (tossing), a balloon relay, scavenger hunt and their favorite 'strip game'-- let me clarify that one!!!

Strip game:   Take a small prize and wrap in as many single layers of newsprint as possible-- use only 1 piece of tape per layer to secure.  Played similar to musical chairs-- play music as wrapped gift is passed.  If you are holding (or are touching it while in process of receiving it) when music stopps you unwrap one layer.  Continue until last layer is remvoved-- they keep the prize.  This year we managed 30 layers of newsprint (Uno game inside).

We had AWESOME weather (mid 70's only a day after schools were closed due to an ice storm!).  DH kept the games going-- the 4 hours went by in a flash!  With the weather so good they had quite a bit of free time outside--the last hour was playing with the zillions of glowsticks they got for prizes.

Got to agree with this one.  My birthday is 3 days before my big sister's.   We had 'shared' parties most years... that meant that our 'real' birthday ended up being just an ordinary day...  I did have 2 'real' birthday parties-- one with 5 friends when I turned 9 (because we were moving away the following week) and once when I turned 10 (with 3 friends-- we ate cake and played on my new 'Slip and Slide'...)

My parents tended to 'over do' Christmas-- so birthdays were mostly cake and icecream and a token gift.  I did not mind the token gift-- but most years I wanted a cake with only  MY name on it (petty I know--but it WAS important to the child me).

My dc haven't had friend parties in several years, until last fall. dd had 4 friends sleep over for her 16th birthday. We had a taco bar which we prepared ourselves. I made a cake. The girls watched movies through netflix in the basement. 

Until about 8 years ago (oldest dc were 8 and 11), we had parties for the older two that cost about $200 each. The first couple years after we stopped that we did something special with the birthday child. One year the birthday child decided to participate in an out of town chess tournament--so the weekend away was his birthday present. A really big present was taking my dd to NYC for a weekend at age 11. One year my ds went to see The Who  and the next year he went to see Bruce Springsteen. If we didn't spend the money on a party we had more for a special present. The last couple of years we have backed way off of birthday spending. 

My youngest will be 12 tomorrow. We had her party this past Saturday. I spent about $100. This included food (taco bar) cake ( homemade--but I'm a professional level cake decorator), game equipment (2 Zing bow and arrow sets) and prizes (2 small for each of the 11 guests).

Her party lasted 4 hours-- they had 'archery' contests, other assorted target contests (tossing), a balloon relay, scavenger hunt and their favorite 'strip game'-- let me clarify that one!!!

Strip game: Take a small prize and wrap in as many single layers of newsprint as possible-- use only 1 piece of tape per layer to secure. Played similar to musical chairs-- play music as wrapped gift is passed. If you are holding (or are touching it while in process of receiving it) when music stopps you unwrap one layer. Continue until last layer is remvoved-- they keep the prize. This year we managed 30 layers of newsprint (Uno game inside).

We had AWESOME weather (mid 70's only a day after schools were closed due to an ice storm!). DH kept the games going-- the 4 hours went by in a flash! With the weather so good they had quite a bit of free time outside--the last hour was playing with the zillions of glowsticks they got for prizes.

One of my close friends is British and a common party game for kids over there is ' Pass the Parcel' which is exactly as your 'strip game'. My oldest loved it so much at her best friend's party ( my British friend's son) that she insisted we play it at her party the following month. It's a really cute game that kids love!!

We stopped doing birthday parties every year and instead just celebrate with cake and going out for dinner. Sometimes, the birthday child will take a friend and we might go bowling, watch a movie or laser tag. On birthday years, I try to spend less than $400 but they will only have about 2 more birthday parties while at home.

Re: shared parties… Idk, I shared a party with my bro every year as we were 3 years apart and had the same bday.  We always had different cakes.  We never had issue with it at all.  I remember caring once when I was about 7 b/c I wanted my own cake- my mom told me that of course I would have my own cake and that I had always had my own.  I was fine with it then.

Now I have twins and I can't imagine having different parties for them!  Again, different cakes- and I would be happy to split themes for them at the same party.  ;)

As far as what I spend on parties.  Usually $250-300ish?  However, my kids are young, so it is food for parents/siblings/etc.  I look forward to the years when we can do friend "drop off & pick up" parties!!  Feeding many is expensive and I am in a high COL area.  I soooo wish it could be less.  We trade off for each kid a family party one year (more like $100 for food/cake/minimal party supplies), a friend/family party the next.  

It just varies too much to come up with an average.

We've had years when we have bought party packages from various facilities, which can run a couple hundred dollars. We've also don't a lot of pretty simple at-home parties, which come in at $50 or so for snacks and cake ingredients.

Last year, my son had his buddies here for gaming and a sleepover, which was the next best thing to free. A couple of years before that, we took the same group of kids to a sci-fi/fantasy convention and then brought them back to the house for dinner and cake. Tickets for the con weren't cheap, and we bought each kid a small item in lieu of a party favor.

My daughter opted from pretty early on to take just one friend and do something fun.

Honestly, my son seems to prefer the at-home get-togethers, because he likes the opportunity to spend a larger swatch of time with his friends.

Now, those figures do not include our gift to the birthday kid. That, too, has varied hugely from year to year. However, we have a tradition of giving some kind of experience for birthdays, rather than a "thing." Tickets for Broadway tours aren't cheap, unfortunately, but we don't do that every year.

I really do not have a budget, nor do I know exactly how much we spend. Generally I start picking things up a bit at a time, like a month before each kids b-day. Depending on the theme I may buy some small party favor type things from Walmart or the Dollar Tree. We do colored paper plates, cups, napkins etc.They are much cheaper than the character plates. The kids always pick out a pack of latex balloons and a birthday banner. I also let them get a few Mylar balloons from the Dollar Tree. I buy a cheap made in Mexico pinata from the local grocery store(they are around 6 dollars) and buy a few bags of candy for it. We always do parties either at our house or a park so I never pay for a location. As far as food we usually provide punch and something like pizza. Family members always bring some food as well. My dh and I make our own cakes for the kids and the price for that varies but includes cake mixes, powder sugar, candles, candies, etc. We throw a party for each kid yearly. These are family parties with grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and maybe a friend or two.

Southern California is pricey, and we live on a sailboat, so have to go somewhere to hold the party. One year, we did a cooking class in La Jolla and had 20+ kids. Yeah, it's ridiculous. I get that.

It's entirely up to you what you spend, but would hiring a space in a park for a barbeque be another option?

L

Guest James Aldak

I am so glad to know about this . It sounds good that you have a nice budget . You can arrange this party well with using some good place for making purchase . I have a good suggestion for you that is new voucher . They help you to make more purchase in less money . And my best wishes for your daughter .  

My boys want to invite their friends over for a game night.  I think we will spend all of $100 on food.  They are teens though.

In the past, we had one larger b-day party where we spent more $$.  I think it was $250 and we went to a place that had go-carts and arcades.

Dawn