Menu

Ancient History and Science that go together (SCM, Science from the Beginning, MFW)

wehave8

I was looking for Ancient History for youngers and was strongly considering SCM.  In the meantime I found Science in the Beginning by Jay Wile.  Does anyone use these together?  Then I saw that MFW CtG also uses Science in the Beginning, but do they schedule the whole book or just parts?

Pam

Pam,

I know I answered this on another forum with you.... but for benefit of others on this forum... thought I'd chime in and summarize: MFW just started to sell Wile book in the CTG this month (jan 2014).  I"d venture to guess that most all if not all of Wile book is scheduled.   Wile's book replaces Genesis for Kids.   Basically, with Wile book, it's not about lining it up with history topics, but being thematically connected in a small way.....  in the beginning..... God created... and now let's study general science topics related to those 6 creative days. (unit 1 is about Light.. unit 2 is about water and atmopshere, etc....).    with the mfw route... in CTG, mfw also does some fun unit study on pyramids while studying Egypt, and they use to schedule reading Archimedes and Door to Science when studying Greece (but with Wile book, that was moved from schedule to free time book basket/enrichment).

Wile's book is 90 lessons.  15 lessons per unit.  Wile suggests a couple of paths to use the whole book in a year so that you do science for about 30 or so minutes a day, about 2 or 3 times a week.   So if that fits very easily into your schedule, then it should be fine.  I think the Wile book is good for the ages you have listed in siggy.  It has notebooking suggestions for older, younger... 

Wile's next book in the series is Ancient Science. I think it's being piloted now, but I don't know when it'll be released...

I read February-March. My own science decision for next year in ancient history is on hold while I wait for further info about it.

I'm planning to use Wile's Science in Ancient Times next year while we do Ancient History (TOG Y1). We're using Science in the Beginning right now, which is excellent, though it's not at all tied to history. It's more of a general science, but I think it goes deeper than the typical elementary general science type textbook.

I'm planning to use Wile's Science in Ancient Times next year while we do Ancient History (TOG Y1). We're using Science in the Beginning right now, which is excellent, though it's not at all tied to history. It's more of a general science, but I think it goes deeper than the typical elementary general science type textbook.

Is there a link to what the scope and sequence is to these books, or the Table of Contents?

Pam

Pam, in the link that Donna shared, there is a click point over to Wile's Blog to learn more about the other books in the series.  on that blog post that is linked.. http://blog.drwile.com/?p=11016
it says of Science in Ancient Times

Each book in the series will be structured in the same way, so the only thing that changes with each book is the content. The second book in the series is called Science in the Ancient World, and it covers the science that was discovered from the time of Thales (a Greek philosopher who lived around 600 BC) to the time of Leonardo da Vinci (who lived from AD 1452 to 1519). Rather than spending a lot of time on the history, however, it focuses on the individuals. The student learns about the people and what they discovered, as well as how those discoveries helped us understand God’s creation.

hope that helps a bit :)

Pam, in the link that Donna shared, there is a click point over to Wile's Blog to learn more about the other books in the series.  on that blog post that is linked.. http://blog.drwile.com/?p=11016

it says of Science in Ancient Times

hope that helps a bit :)

Thank you for share that.  I thought I saw it somewhere and I just couldn't find it.

Pam