Menu

The Shack -- not "classical" but can we chat about it?

:bigear:

I keep "hearing" this book is anti-Christian. Or at least anti-organized church. Is this true? Or am I confusing it with another book???? I have had friends who have read it and loved it, but it seems like I have heard there are "problems" with it from a Christian perspective.

Hope you get some responses.

I saw so many folks (can't remember where...) recommending it, that I added it to an Amazon order. Then it got shuffled around, and now I can't remember where it is.

So do tell.... what are you "loving" about it? :D Maybe I'll be inspired to drag myself off the couch and go look for it. :D

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

The book has had me in tears. The issues are hitting close to home for me.

I'm midway through the book. Pretty intense.

I can't speak to the theology of the book. I gave my pastor my copy to read before me to make sure it was not heretical. He gave it the thumbs up.

As for theology, it is iffy. As long as you don't read it as a theology manual I think you're ok.

Its a story of a man's journey through The Great Sadness following the death of his daughter. He's trying to come to grips w/ who God is in relation to his pain.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Thanks!

My opinion has made me unpopular in other venues. I have read the book in its entirity. I have also heard the author deliver several talks and "sermons."

With that as a backdrop, I will say that I believe the book to contain heretical doctrine and I do not use that term lightly at all. After listening to the author speak, I also believe that he has some very serious misunderstandings of God and His character.

I also find Peterson's comparison to Pilgrim's Progess offensive.

I'd be happy to elaborate on some of my thoughts for those interested.

My opinion has made me unpopular in other venues. I have read the book in its entirity. I have also heard the author deliver several talks and "sermons."

With that as a backdrop, I will say that I believe the book to contain heretical doctrine and I do not use that term lightly at all. After listening to the author speak, I also believe that he has some very serious misunderstandings of God and His character.

Amen. I haven't heard the author, but amen to the rest. I find it highly offensive.

Would one of you two who thought it had heretical content just list what you thought was heretical? I am not trying to stir things up. Really, I am not. I have this underlying concern that *I* am not theological enough to *recognize* things that might be heretical/undoctrinal (no way is that a word). I am not opposed to reading such books AT ALL! But, I don't know if I am discerning enough to undertake them. Does that make any sense??? Maybe I am not discerning enough to read ANYTHING! :lol:

I'm sorry, Beth. I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Would one of you two who thought it had heretical content just list what you thought was heretical? I am not trying to stir things up. Really, I am not. I have this underlying concern that *I* am not theological enough to *recognize* things that might be heretical/undoctrinal (no way is that a word). I am not opposed to reading such books AT ALL! But, I don't know if I am discerning enough to undertake them. Does that make any sense??? Maybe I am not discerning enough to read ANYTHING! :lol:

Here is a link that puts it much better than I ever could. Hope this helps.

http://www.challies.com/archives/book-reviews/the-shack-by-william-p-young.php

No worries. I plan on looking at all the links and reading both sides.

Apart from the theology of the book, it is a great imaginative story. Either way, it would be impossible to keep "God in a box" after reading it (for me anyway) :)

Well, since there are some who are interested, I'll post some condensed sections of a series of reviews I wrote and previously had posted on my blog.

I believe it is important to look carefully at the dialogues between Mack and the members of the Godhead. Although it claims to be intended as an allegory or a metaphor or a parable, the fact is that it uses the actual person of God in contrast to other stories of the same nature which use human examples or even animals to tell the tale.

Because of that, it is incumbent upon us to examine everything that transpires against the Holy Word of God. Do these manifestations reflect the known character and attributes of God as revealed in His Word? Would God actually do or say the things that these three do? Are there any points of conversation that go directly against the Scriptures? These are all important questions to answer and I hope to give my thoughts on them over the course of the next days as I continue to process, pray about and compare to the Bible the book I have recently finished reading.

The Shack is an engaging story to say the least but, as believers, we must be jealous for the Word and denounce anything that brings dishonor to it. If the purpose of this tale is to enlighten the reader with the knowledge of the depth of God’s love for him, it must portray Him in truth as He has already revealed Himself through the Word.

That was part of the first section of the review I did. I'll continue in the next post.

The Sufficiency of Scripture:

2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.â€

Strangely, The Shack is almost completely void of the mention of the Bible—God’s revealed Word to His people. There are anecdotal references here and there but the bulk of the talk of Scripture appears on pgs. 65-66:

“In seminary he (ie Mack) had been taught that God had completely stopped any overt communication with moderns, preferring to have them only listen to and follow the sacred Scripture, properly interpreted, of course. God’s voice had been reduced to paper, and even that paper had to be moderated and deciphered by the proper authorities and intellects. It seemed that direct communication with God was something exclusively for the ancients and uncivilized, while educated Westerners’ access to God was mediated and controlled by the intelligentsia. Nobody wanted God in a box, just in a book. Especially an expensive one bound in leather with gilt edges, or was that guilt edges?â€

Such cynicism and disdain towards the Word of God. Yes, Mack had been hurt but my hope was that his meeting with the Godhead would correct this erroneous view of the Scriptures and point Mack to the life giving sufficiency there within.

On several occasions, Mack asks the different members of the Trinity what he is supposed to do when he returns to his life. How should he live? Of course, it should be obvious that God Himself would direct a child of His back to His Word so that he might be thoroughly equipped for every good work. On the contrary, the characters with whom Mack spends his weekend do not mention living according to the Word of God.

Jesus Himself said, “It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’â€

King David penned, “I have hidden your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you…I delight in your decrees, I will not neglect your word…Teach me, O LORD, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end…Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens…Oh, how I love your law, I meditate on it all day long…Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.†(Psalm 119:11, 16, 33, 89, 97, 105)

God’s Word makes it unmistakably clear that in order to please Him, in order to do His will, we must read, study and meditate upon the Scriptures! The fact that Mack is never pointed back to the Bible calls into question the true identity of those with whom he is spending this weekend.

Sin:

At the very center of the gospel of Christ is the fact that all human beings are sinners (Romans 3:23) and, as a result, are separated from the Holy God. Christ came to live a sinless life and, thus, be an acceptable sacrifice to appease the wrath of the Father.

Sin demands punishment! That ultimate punishment is death (Romans 6:23, Hebrews 9:22). Jesus Christ took that punishment on Himself and provided atonement for those who place their faith in Him. Before that faith is placed in Him, we are, by nature, children of wrath (Ephesians 2:3).

In a nutshell, we are sinners (children of wrath), sin must be punished by death and Christ offered Himself in our place that we may have forgiveness through our faith in Him.

Contrast that with this comment by “Papa,â€:

“At that, Papa stopped her preparations and turned towards Mack. He could see a deep sadness in her eyes. ‘I am not who I think you think I am, Mackenzie. I don’t need to punish people for sin. Sin is its own punishment, devouring you from the inside. It’s not my purpose to punish it; it’s my joy to cure it.’†(pgs. 119-120)

Granted, Mack had just revealed that his assumption was that God actually enjoys pouring out His wrath by punishing sinners. Of course, it does not bring Him joy that people sin. There is also no evidence that He takes any sort of joy in punishing sin. But, He is just and sin must be punished. “Papa’s†statement above is, frankly, unbelievable.

Even if we give the benefit of the doubt in this instance, assuming that “Papa†is not talking about the ultimate punishment for sin, we still know that God disciplines those He loves (Hebrews 12:5-6)

In either case, “Papa’s†theology is way off and is directly in conflict with the Scriptures inspired by the One true God.

Other than that discourse on sin, there is hardly another mention of it. Mack is certainly not confronted with his sin. He is not called to repentance which would have definitely been the message if God were speaking to him.

When “Papa†does explain what Jesus accomplished on the cross, it is quite incomplete. He tells Mack that through Jesus’ death and resurrection, he is now fully reconciled to the whole world. (pg. 192) Now, my own persuasion disagrees and says that Christ accomplished reconciliation for His people alone. Even with that aside, “Papa’s†statement is woefully lacking as it, again, does not deal with the issue of sin and the penalty thereof.

I'll post one last section that I'd written:

Jesus as an example:

I admit to being a bit shocked by many things in this book including this quote:

“Seriously, my life was not meant to be an example to copy. Being my follower is not trying to ‘be like Jesus,’ it means for your independence to be killed.†(pg. 149)

Now, although we do need to set ourselves aside, we are definitely to follow the example of Christ. In John 13, He says, “I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.†He was speaking of the example of servitude He had just displayed by washing the disciples’ feet.

1 Peter 2:21 says, “To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His steps.â€

It seems clear that the life of Christ is absolutely an example that we are supposed to copy. After all, as believers, we are “predestined to be conformed into the likeness of His Son…†(Romans 8:29). As we follow His example of righteousness, service, teaching, praying, etc., we will enjoy the fruit of truly being conformed into His image. That is what the sanctification process is all about!

So many of the theological issues in this book are core doctrines for the Christian faith: sin, the nature of God, the work of Christ, the purpose of the Spirit, the place of the Bible in the life of a Christian, etc. If my arguments were with peripheral doctrines, I would simply choose to disagree and move on. However, I truly feel compelled to speak out because the foundation of Christianity is at stake here.

I hope some of that was helpful and explains where I was coming from in my first post. I pray that God is glorified through the discussion.

I'd be happy to elaborate on some of my thoughts for those interested.

This book was HIGHLY recommended to me by a relative...one, I might add, who's theology I very much question... but I looked into purchasing it because her description of it sounded wonderful. And who doesn't want to read a wonderful book about our Lord? Upon looking into it though, I found opinions from those I trust who recommended NOT reading and WHY. So I am not going to bother filling my mind with some mans version of who God is, or can be, or whatever. ;)

Thanks, Ronette. You have done your homework!

Me, on the other hand... :)

:) I spent a lot of time reading and re-reading and praying. The book came highly recommended by a sources that I love and trust. I still love and trust them but, obviously, have a very different take.

For some, it has brought them closer to Christ.

See, that's what somewhat confuses me. How can a book bring people closer to Christ when it represents a Christ that is so different from how He has revealed Himself? :unsure:

This is why I think books like this can be so dangerous.

Thank you VERY much for sharing your thoughtful and well-written review. I truly appreciate it. Sadly, however, I am out of rep for the day! But, I will come back and rep you tomorrow!;)

ETA: This is the kind of discernment that I think I am lacking.

How can a book bring people closer to Christ when it represents a Christ that is so different from how He has revealed Himself?[/u] :unsure:

That is my question as well. Perhaps it is bringing people closer to who they THINK is Christ...but is it really the Christ of the bible?

I know many people personally who don't actually worship the God of the bible at all...but one of their own making. I have a whole slew of relatives who are into their own version of Christianity and have, in effect, made up their own God...one who is more pleasing to their sensibilities. They absolutely reject the God of the Old Testament...that mean God who said to kill whole tribes of people; man, woman, and child. A very Just and Holy God. When I mention bible scripture from the Old Testament about things like that, I hear, "Well, [insert gasp] I couldn't worship a God like that!" I then say....'Well what God ARE you worshiping then???'

It has actually come down to them saying that the bible was written by man, and one cannot believe everything within it. I then say,'OK, what parts CAN you believe then?' :confused:

They have also, lately, done away with Hell because when you are making up your own god, it offends the sensibilities to have one who would actually send people to Hell. Oh, and the list goes on... It is not just my relatives either, there is a large gathering of people who also believe the same and it is GROWING. My uncle teaches this stuff and is constantly away from home at conventions where people have asked him to come preach it! :tongue_smilie:

It is frustrating beyond belief as I love my family dearly. In my opinion, books like "The Shack" just help to foster a wrong belief in who God truly is. I want nothing to do with that...I get enough at family gatherings thankyouverymuch! :lol::D

Thank you, Beth for starting this thread. I have been wondering about this book myself because nearly all my friends and churches have been reading/recommending this book. I think discussion about this is healthy.

Thank you Ronette for your indepth study and review. Wow! It was very helpful.

Also the links that others gave were very informative.

:iagree: with Melissa

Especially the part where the book could foster a wrong belief in who God truly is. The descriptions of the Trinity and each person of the Trinity are really out there. Also I would be concerned that a person could be confused as to how to receive Jesus as their savior. The thing that concerned me the most was the quote from The Shack about scripture.

“In seminary [Mac] had been taught that God had completely stopped any overt communication with moderns, preferring to have them only listen to and follow sacred Scripture, properly interpreted, of course. God’s voice had been reduced to paper, and even that paper had to be moderated and deciphered by the proper authorities and intellects… Nobody wanted God in a box, just in a book. Especially an expensive one bound in leather with gilt edges, or was that guilt edges?â€

That is really a slam of the Bible and I have been hearing this from people who are Christians but aren't sure the Bible can be absolutely true and that it contains serious errors.

I will probably not read the book, but I certainly won't judge those who do. I would "approach with caution".

I too want to thank the OP for starting this thread. I just finished reading Tim Challies' review (17pp) and found it extremely informative. I am choosing not to read this book. Even though it is now sitting on my nightstand. My reasons are two-fold. Let me begin with stating that I am not afraid of any book which might be considered controversial. I rather enjoy the challenge. I know that my God is bigger than any heresy. Reason #1 from Challies' review and others I have seen it would appear extremely heretical. Reason #2 I don't think I can handle the subject matter of the main characters daughter being killed. That is actually what has kept me from it. I worry enough about my own dc and don't need any additional thoughts swirling around in my head KWIM?

This has been an enlightening conversation to which I will simply say Thank you.:001_smile:

For some, it has brought them closer to Christ. :)

What Christ? Certainly not the Christ of the Scriptures who declared, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

Matthew 24:4-5 says, "And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many."

II Timothy 4:3 says, "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears."

People don't want to hear about sin, hell, death, punishment, etc. They want to hear what they want to hear. But, like my signature says, you don't have to believe something for it to be true. Sadly, many folks will not believe the truth of the Bible until it is too late.

What Christ? Certainly not the Christ of the Scriptures who declared, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

Matthew 24:4-5 says, "And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many."

II Timothy 4:3 says, "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears."

People don't want to hear about sin, hell, death, punishment, etc. They want to hear what they want to hear. But, like my signature says, you don't have to believe something for it to be true. Sadly, many folks will not believe the truth of the Bible until it is too late.

EXACTLY! Sound doctrine is becoming very rare...very rare indeed.

By the way Kathleen, I love your siggy quote. I have said something similar many times to my 'Christian' relatives; 'OK...well, just because you do not believe what the bible says about that, does not make it untrue.' They really don't like that ...;):D

What Christ? QUOTE]

The only Christ, according to Scripture.

God can speak to us through various venues.

Some people grow closer to God through reading The Lord Of The Rings trilogy, Naria series, and (gasp) Harry Potter. (As a born-again Bible believing Christian I have no problem reading or having my kids read these books -- witches, sorcery, ogres and all.)

As I stated before, The Shack brought me to tears in many spots. God is speaking to me about issues that this book touches on. I know the Christ of the Bible, and this book hasn't changed that. I'm not running to join a cult or leading my kids in heretical practices. I'm still me. :)

Many people I respect recommended reading this book. Many people I respect have been highly critical of the book.

I am on vacation now in Sunriver, Oregon. We've had the pastor of Portland Foursquare Church staying w/ us at our vacation house. At dinner last night I quizzed him about all sorts of topics that are controversial in the church these days (emergent church movement, The Shack, attractional churches, etc). We had a great discussion. I was like a kid in a candy store to have a private audience w/ him.

He is working on his doctorate at a local Bible seminary in Portland. He was assigned The Shack for one of his classes. He has no problem w/ it. But he understands how some would have a big problem w/ it.

Taken as a story, its great. But not as a theology manual.

My SIL, whose Christianity(Wesleyen) I respect and admire says the same thing. If you remember I personally cannot get past the subject matter(little girl murdered) and that is a big big part of why I am not reading it. However, it does concern me when I have family members who essentially believe all paths lead to God and use a book like the shack, which has been recommended by many Christians I admire and think that that is Christianity. KWIM?

It is a theology manual cloaked in the garb of a story. It is not great. It is blasphemous and contradicts the Bible constantly. People are saying it has changed the way they view God. The way you view God is your theology.

If you want to know God then study the Bible. Everything we need to know about God is in the Bible.

II Timothy 3:16-17 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."

The Shack[/i] brought me to tears in many spots. God is speaking to me about issues that this book touches on.

Beth, as my sweet hubby would say to me, and has on many occasion to my utter...frustration:glare:..."Experience is not a valid test of truth." Because you are experiencing something emotional, does not make it from God. He would say that your tears and emotions do not mean for sure that God is speaking to you. You must take everything and test it by the word of God. Everything. ;)

I feel badly that you began this thread with such a wonderful this-is-a-great-book feeling, and we have all pretty much rained on your parade. This topic and others like it are forever on my heart as I have personally seen the utter destruction and damage a wrong view of God can bring to a loved one. I am one of those people who cannot watch most TV evangelists because the blasphemy of it all overwhelms me, and it ties me up in knots to know sooooooo many are buying into such false drivel. Ugh! Just thinking about it makes me cringe. You see, I was brought up in very odd churches, with very odd doctrines, where very strange things happened in the name of god. The Lord brought me out of that heresy and I cannot tell you how very thankful I am, and how He has blessed my life. Yet, my family (parents, uncles, etc.) are still entrenched in heretical teachings and their lives are SUCH A MESS! Such a mess. :sad:

Books like The Shack feed these type of people...people who seem to be drawn to anything and everything but the true God of the bible. I am not saying one who is rooted and grounded in Christ could not read the book without adverse affect. But so many are NOT rooted and grounded!!! And so many are searching for something different...like our revealed Lord is just not quite exciting enough. Some churches, and yes I have been to a few, have people barking "in the Spirit" or falling down in convulsions. They LOVE it...this "powerful all-loving" god they serve who has them barking and growling like animals. I say, yikes...run don't walk to the nearest exit...quick...because THAT is NOT the God of the bible! Sadly, these are well known Christian churches. It is scary what is happening to Christianity.:eek:

Anyhow, all that to say, I am sure there are good things in the book that perhaps are right on, but it's the not right on things that are destructive and problematic. God is Holy, Holy, HOLY and trying to describe Him in human form (as a woman named "papa" no less :001_huh:) is invariably going to cause some major theological concerns within the more conservative Christian circles. Of which I am one. ;)

Beth, as my sweet hubby would say to me, and has on many occasion to my utter...frustration:glare:..."Experience is not a valid test of truth." Because you are experiencing something emotional, does not make it from God. He would say that your tears and emotions do not mean for sure that God is speaking to you. You must take everything and test it by the word of God. Everything. ;)

:iagree:

There are very many people having *experiences* these days that frighten me. If you believe there is a battle being waged and it is not of flesh and blood, there flat out must have an objective truth to point to for the validity of these experiences actually being from God. I love experiences and I'd love nothing more than to be swept up and carried away by the Spirit, but only if I am certain it's the Holy Spirit of God. Anything else frightens me. That Book (the one with the big B - Bible) was given so we would have some frame of reference in a world that would twist us in every direction. Without it, how can you be sure of anything spiritual and the nature of that experience? There must be an objective truth or we have no way of protecting ourselves from being carried away by something dangerous. It's God's gift.

I'm kind of torn about this book. I agree that a lot of the theology is....a far stretch. To me a lot of the writing sounds like an attempt to make the trinity palatable to people who aren't Christians.

What I found interesting about this book was that, after reading it, I didn't remember much of the theological musings. Instead, I was left with an incredible sense of God's goodness and his love. I think this book communicated this in a huge way. I can see how reading this book could be useful to anyone who has been through difficult life circumstances that have caused them to have a hard time believing in God's essential goodness or his love for us. It's definitely not perfect, but this book could possibly be someone's first step in turning or returning to God.

I would love to read a book based on conventional Christian doctrine that addresses these issues on the same level emotionally. Anyone know of one?

I would love to read a book based on conventional Christian doctrine that addresses these issues on the same level emotionally. Anyone know of one?

Have you looked into or read any Karen Kingsbury books? I don't know that they are at the same emotion level as The Shack, but she deals with some real life stuff in fiction form that never fails to get me blubbering & leaking like a watering pot. ;) I have only read a few of her books, but those I read were fantastic. One that comes to mind was about a woman who loses her husband (and son if I recall) in a car accident and blames God. It is about her journey back to Him. Very emotional, biblically accurate portrayal of God, yet not at all preachy and sermony. She is a wonderfully engaging writer.

She also has a few books written with Gary Smally.

My pastor has reminded me many times that our understanding of God must be ruled by three things: revelation, reason and experience - in that order.

Revelation is God's word. This may sound dry and boring, but it is actually thrilling. Imagine getting a love letter from someone - a letter that says you are so loved that he would be willing to die for you. We see this kind of love dramatized in books and movies all the time and are usually moved by it. The Bible is God's love letter to us. It describes in great detail God's love for man and the great lengths He has gone to in order to redeem us from hell and give us eternal life. What could be more thrilling than that?

Reason just means that Christianity is a logical, reasonable faith. It makes sense in the context of what we see around us on a daily basis. Everything about it can be explained using reason. In Acts 8:26-37 when the Ethiopian eunuch was reading the scriptures and did not understand what he was reading, Philip "reasoned" with him from the scriptures. At that time there was only an Old Testament. Philip showed the eunuch a prophecy from the OT concerning Christ and then explained how it was fulfilled in the man Jesus. God opened the eunuch's understanding and He believed.

And lastly, experience. This is not referring to some mystical, swept up into an emotional "high" kind of experience. It means that Christianity fits into our experiences in an authentic way. Every question we encounter as we live our lives is answered by Christianity. The most common question people have comes at times of great sorrow.

People often cry out when there is some kind of tragedy, "Why doesn't (didn't) God do something?" They experience great pain and suffering and try desperately to find an answer to that grief that is not trite and lacking meaning. The answer to that question is that God has done something. He did it 2000 years ago on the cross at Calvary. This question reveals a basic lack of understanding of the nature of God and man. The Shack's representation of God and man also reveals the author's basic lack of understanding of the nature of God and man.

God created men with "eternity in their hearts" - He meant for them to live forever. If Adam and Eve had obeyed God we would all be living for eternity - there would be no such thing as suffering and death. This is why death and suffering are so contrary to us - they simply are not natural. In our guts we know this is true and that is why we chafe at aging and are always shocked at death. But Adam and Eve fell from grace when they deliberately disobeyed God - in essence, proclaiming themselves to be God. They brought judgment upon themselves and all of humanity after them. All men are sinners and if they continue in their sin they are destined to spend eternity in hell. Most people cannot reconcile their concept of a loving God with a God who punishes sin. Yet, we are outraged if a criminal gets off scot free. Our own sense of justice requires payment for sin and yet we find fault with God when He does the same thing.

God is a Holy God - He does nothing wrong, ever. He is right and perfect in all His judgments. If the Bible says that sin leads to death and hell, then that is right and perfect. When we have difficulty accepting that, we are being like Adam - we are declaring that we know better than God and we make ourselves our own God. What we should do is what Paul did on the road to Damascus - we should fall on our faces and cry out, "Lord, what will you have me to do?" People nowadays have no reverence for God - they expect Him to be some sort of pal. He is not our "pal" - He is the most High God and we need to fall on our faces and cry out to Him for mercy. After we do that, God becomes our Father, Jesus is our Brother and Friend - before that we are God's enemies. (Philippians 3:18) Speaking to the Pharisees, Jesus said in John 8:42-44 "If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it."

The emotional experience comes when we realize we are lost, undone, without hope, but then we are taught that God, in His great love and mercy sent His only begotten Son to take our punishment (deserved punishment) upon Himself so that we are no longer without hope. When we place our faith in Christ's finished work on the cross and rest in His perfection, not our own vain attempts at goodness, we are free from the power of sin, death and hell. We are redeemed out of the hand of Satan and placed in an everlasting, loving relationship with the Creator of the universe. What could be more awe-inspiring or thrilling than that?

All the sorrow and grief that we experience here is but for a moment. Yes, God cares deeply and holds us very close as we go through those trying times. But our hope does not lie in some emotional experience here on this doomed planet. Our hope rests on Christ. He has gone to prepare a place for us and when He comes again or when our eyes close for the last time on this earth, we will be with Him in newness of life for all eternity. What's not inspiring and emotional about that?

The truth of Christ is the most emotionally stirring and uplifting thing there is. The message in The Shack is not the truth. It lowers God to a peer level. It lacks reverence for God and presents Him, not as He truly is, but falsely. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me." The Shack does not agree with that. Anything proclaiming Christ to be anything but the Son of the Living God is from the pit of hell and should be avoided at all costs. I have read a great deal about The Shack and have watched an interview with author about his book. I think Mr. Young must have experienced some very hurtful things as a child/young person and his book is an attempt to reconcile those hurtful things in a way that allows him to go on without pain. He has twisted the words of Scripture to fit his concept of God - he has tried to create a God he can accept and live with. I truly understand his need to find peace from the pain of his experiences, but I think he has done a very dangerous thing by taking his limited understanding of God and shaping the Bible to fit that instead of searching the scriptures for God's answer to His pain. I, too, was sexually molested as a child. My mom was mentally ill and spent much of my childhood in mental hospitals. I celebrated one of my birthdays on the grounds of Eastern State Mental Hospital in Williamsburg, Virginia because my mom had been committed there. My parents are divorced and I have suffered more pain along the way. We all have pain to deal with. We can choose to be bitter and resentful about that pain or we can choose to forgive and move on.

What I have found about being a person who has led such a traumatic life is that I often thought I was the only one and I became very inwardly focused. This led to depression. I lacked the understanding that I, too, was a sinner and had hurt others and needed the forgiveness of God and others as well. By concentrating so much on how I had been hurt, I failed to see that I had hurt others. This mindset kept me from seeing my need for a Savior. But God, by His grace, opened my eyes to the truth that I am a sinner and that if it weren't for His grace I would be just as much as a sinner as those who harmed me or perhaps even worse. If God forgives me for Christ's sake, how could I not forgive those who had hurt me? We are all sinners and we all need a Savior.

Peace comes from accepting the fact that apart from God's grace I could be the worse sinner on earth. Peace comes when I acknowledge my great need for forgiveness and cast myself at the foot of the cross. Peace comes from resting in the grace and mercy of God in the finished work of His Son. Peace comes from forgiving others for their failings - no matter how deeply they may have hurt.

If you are looking for an emotional experience, place your faith in the Christ of the cross - trust Him for eternal life - there is no more thrilling experience than to know you were destined for eternity in hell but, because of Christ's payment for your sins on the cross, you are now made alive in Him and will spend all of eternity in His presence.

My pastor has reminded me many times that our understanding of God must be ruled by three things: revelation, reason and experience - in that order.

Revelation is God's word. This may sound dry and boring, but it is actually thrilling. Imagine getting a love letter from someone - a letter that says you are so loved that he would be willing to die for you. We see this kind of love dramatized in books and movies all the time and are usually moved by it. The Bible is God's love letter to us. It describes in great detail God's love for man and the great lengths He has gone to in order to redeem us from hell and give us eternal life. What could be more thrilling than that?

Reason just means that Christianity is a logical, reasonable faith. It makes sense in the context of what we see around us on a daily basis. Everything about it can be explained using reason. In Acts 8:26-37 when the Ethiopian eunuch was reading the scriptures and did not understand what he was reading, Philip "reasoned" with him from the scriptures. At that time there was only an Old Testament. Philip showed the eunuch a prophecy from the OT concerning Christ and then explained how it was fulfilled in the man Jesus. God opened the eunuch's understanding and He believed.

And lastly, experience. This is not referring to some mystical, swept up into an emotional "high" kind of experience. It means that Christianity fits into our experiences in an authentic way. Every question we encounter as we live our lives is answered by Christianity. The most common question people have comes at times of great sorrow.

People often cry out when there is some kind of tragedy, "Why doesn't (didn't) God do something?" They experience great pain and suffering and try desperately to find an answer to that grief that is not trite and lacking meaning. The answer to that question is that God has done something. He did it 2000 years ago on the cross at Calvary. This question reveals a basic lack of understanding of the nature of God and man. The Shack's representation of God and man also reveals the author's basic lack of understanding of the nature of God and man.

God created men with "eternity in their hearts" - He meant for them to live forever. If Adam and Eve had obeyed God we would all be living for eternity - there would be no such thing as suffering and death. This is why death and suffering are so contrary to us - they simply are not natural. In our guts we know this is true and that is why we chafe at aging and are always shocked at death. But Adam and Eve fell from grace when they deliberately disobeyed God - in essence, proclaiming themselves to be God. They brought judgment upon themselves and all of humanity after them. All men are sinners and if they continue in their sin they are destined to spend eternity in hell. Most people cannot reconcile their concept of a loving God with a God who punishes sin. Yet, we are outraged if a criminal gets off scot free. Our own sense of justice requires payment for sin and yet we find fault with God when He does the same thing.

God is a Holy God - He does nothing wrong, ever. He is right and perfect in all His judgments. If the Bible says that sin leads to death and hell, then that is right and perfect. When we have difficulty accepting that, we are being like Adam - we are declaring that we know better than God and we make ourselves our own God. What we should do is what Paul did on the road to Damascus - we should fall on our faces and cry out, "Lord, what will you have me to do?" People nowadays have no reverence for God - they expect Him to be some sort of pal. He is not our "pal" - He is the most High God and we need to fall on our faces and cry out to Him for mercy. After we do that, God becomes our Father, Jesus is our Brother and Friend - before that we are God's enemies. (Philippians 3:18) Speaking to the Pharisees, Jesus said in John 8:42-44 "If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it."

The emotional experience comes when we realize we are lost, undone, without hope, but then we are taught that God, in His great love and mercy sent His only begotten Son to take our punishment (deserved punishment) upon Himself so that we are no longer without hope. When we place our faith in Christ's finished work on the cross and rest in His perfection, not our own vain attempts at goodness, we are free from the power of sin, death and hell. We are redeemed out of the hand of Satan and placed in an everlasting, loving relationship with the Creator of the universe. What could be more awe-inspiring or thrilling than that?

All the sorrow and grief that we experience here is but for a moment. Yes, God cares deeply and holds us very close as we go through those trying times. But our hope does not lie in some emotional experience here on this doomed planet. Our hope rests on Christ. He has gone to prepare a place for us and when He comes again or when our eyes close for the last time on this earth, we will be with Him in newness of life for all eternity. What's not inspiring and emotional about that?

The truth of Christ is the most emotionally stirring and uplifting thing there is. The message in The Shack is not the truth. It lowers God to a peer level. It lacks reverence for God and presents Him, not as He truly is, but falsely. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life, no man comes to the Father but by me." The Shack does not agree with that. Anything proclaiming Christ to be anything but the Son of the Living God is from the pit of hell and should be avoided at all costs. I have read a great deal about The Shack and have watched an interview with author about his book. I think Mr. Young must have experienced some very hurtful things as a child/young person and his book is an attempt to reconcile those hurtful things in a way that allows him to go on without pain. He has twisted the words of Scripture to fit his concept of God - he has tried to create a God he can accept and live with. I truly understand his need to find peace from the pain of his experiences, but I think he has done a very dangerous thing by taking his limited understanding of God and shaping the Bible to fit that instead of searching the scriptures for God's answer to His pain. I, too, was sexually molested as a child. My mom was mentally ill and spent much of my childhood in mental hospitals. I celebrated one of my birthdays on the grounds of Eastern State Mental Hospital in Williamsburg, Virginia because my mom had been committed there. My parents are divorced and I have suffered more pain along the way. We all have pain to deal with. We can choose to be bitter and resentful about that pain or we can choose to forgive and move on.

What I have found about being a person who has led such a traumatic life is that I often thought I was the only one and I became very inwardly focused. This led to depression. I lacked the understanding that I, too, was a sinner and had hurt others and needed the forgiveness of God and others as well. By concentrating so much on how I had been hurt, I failed to see that I had hurt others. This mindset kept me from seeing my need for a Savior. But God, by His grace, opened my eyes to the truth that I am a sinner and that if it weren't for His grace I would be just as much as a sinner as those who harmed me or perhaps even worse. If God forgives me for Christ's sake, how could I not forgive those who had hurt me? We are all sinners and we all need a Savior.

Peace comes from accepting the fact that apart from God's grace I could be the worse sinner on earth. Peace comes when I acknowledge my great need for forgiveness and cast myself at the foot of the cross. Peace comes from resting in the grace and mercy of God in the finished work of His Son. Peace comes from forgiving others for their failings - no matter how deeply they may have hurt.

If you are looking for an emotional experience, place your faith in the Christ of the cross - trust Him for eternal life - there is no more thrilling experience than to know you were destined for eternity in hell but, because of Christ's payment for your sins on the cross, you are now made alive in Him and will spend all of eternity in His presence.

Wow!! I wish I could give you a million more reps right now, but I can't even give you one. :glare: Excellent, excellent post!

... it would be impossible to keep "God in a box" after reading it (for me anyway) :)

The problem with not "keeping God in a box" is that, while we don't know even close to everything about God, there are SOME things about God that we can know with certainty, because He has told us. I find that people who say they "don't want to keep God in a box" often seem to be saying that because they want to contradict something God has told us about Himself in scripture. I'm not necessarily saying that's your reason, just making a general observation.

It's not "keeping God in a box" to believe what we know to be true. You can't use God's infiniteness as an excuse to believe something He has already told us isn't true. Again, this is not aimed at you personally, but rather at the common idea that believing God as He has revealed Himself in the Bible is somehow "keeping him in a box."

Let me use an example to see if I can clarify this. I am a female. For you to believe that I am a female is not to "keep me in a box." There is a box. I am not a male. But the box is not created by your believing, but by reality. Likewise, there is a "box" around God. There are some things He is and some things He is not. We do not and will never understand the boundaries of this box, but we can understand a little of it because He has shared it with us. Speculation about the nature of God insofar as He has not revealed it to us may be okay, but specuatlon that contradicts what He HAS revealed does not help us to know more about God, but rather less.:)

It is a theology manual cloaked in the garb of a story. It is not great. It is blasphemous and contradicts the Bible constantly. People are saying it has changed the way they view God. The way you view God is your theology.

QUOTE]

I disagree. But that's ok. It is fiction. Not a textbook. Feel free not to read it, but please be careful in judging those who do. We are all on our own journey...:auto:

QUOTE]

I disagree. But that's ok. It is fiction. Not a textbook. Feel free not to read it, but please be careful in judging those who do. We are all on our own journey...:auto:

I'm certainly not judging anyone for reading it or for liking it. It grieves me, but judging people is not my job. I do judge the book, however, because it is misleading people and teaching false ideas about God. I just feel that when the honor of God is stake I cannot sit by silently and leave it at that. The book dishonors God and the Bible. That is not a small thing. It has eternal ramifications. As Christians we are called to discern between error and truth and those who lead people into error (the author in this case) will be held to a higher degree of accountability by God. I take that very seriously and the viewpoints I've expressed are not meant to make anyone feel judged, but rather are meant to point folks to Christ.

When a book undertakes to persuade and change a person's view of God it is, by definition, a theology book - fiction or not. The author's purpose was to define God - that is a book about theology - maybe not a textbook per se, but most definitely a theology book.

I feel badly that you began this thread with such a wonderful this-is-a-great-book feeling, and we have all pretty much rained on your parade.;)

No, I don't feel that way at all. Its great to share ideas and viewpoints. I don't come here to the boards because I want a bunch of "yes-men" (or women:)).

I loved the book. I'm going to buy some more copies and share it with a few select people in my family. My pre-Christian neighbor will receive a copy also.

I met a woman from San Francisco at the pool this morning. She was reading it and I went up to her to chat w/ her about it. We had a wonderful conversation about the book. She is reading it in a book club led by a 90-year-old wife of Baptist minister.

So for as many people who hate the book, others will be blessed by it. As I have :)

I do judge the book, however, because it is misleading people and teaching false ideas about God. QUOTE]

I read it and I don't feel mislead.

It is not meant to replace the Bible. It is not meant to supplement the Bible. Its a book about a man's faith journey. Simple as that.

I do respect your opinions and I'm so glad you have shared them.

Thanks for sharing Kathleen.

I'm not looking for an emotional experience. I'd like to avoid an overly emotional experience- I know my tolerance level for disturbing issues in novels is not high. And the topic here is what makes me hesitate.

I am not, however, concerned about the theology of the book. I'm interested in how the author works out his theology in the story. I am not afraid of being led astry. :)

Kathleen, EXCELLENT post! Now THOSE are the truths that are moving and should stir the emotions...not some man's fictionally false representation of God.

Many parts in your post brought literal tears to my eyes. I felt the Spirit within saying "yes, yes, YES!" Well done, Kathleen. Thank you for blessing my Sunday; what you wrote was MUCH better than our pastor's sermon today! :w00t::lol:

I have bold-ed my most fav 'yes!' moments, but I agree with every single word. ;)

I read it and I don't feel mislead.

It is not meant to replace the Bible. It is not meant to supplement the Bible. Its a book about a man's faith journey. Simple as that.

I do respect your opinions and I'm so glad you have shared them.

But, do you think it might be misleading to your 'pre-Christian' neighbor? :confused: Will he/she come away from the reading of it with a clear accurate view of God? I would be wary were I you. Truly.

There are other books to pass along...a good commentary of the bible perhaps? :w00t: