Menu

In Defense of the Denim Skirt -- a lovely and inspirational link

msjones

I have a similar one that I don't wear often- not that I don't like it, but I don't wear any skirts often. It doesn't count as fitting in with the homeschool jumper crowd because mine is above the knee, but I could never imagine using sexy to describe it. I feel sort of mature with it.

AMDG

I have that skirt!!  

I wouldn't by any stretch say sexy but . . . comfy, knee-covering, flexible.  I can wear a tee with it or something nicer.  I got two at the same time.  One was the lighter and one the darker denim.  The lighter wore out pretty quickly but that darker one has been around.  I would say I've had them a couple of years.  So, the brand must not be the same but they look positively identical!  and that original price is about what I paid for it.

very convenient skirt to own.  I like it a lot.

That skirt would NOT help you fit in with the jumper crowd. Its too sexy. The jumper crowd is the crowd that thinks women must wear specific things in order to be modest, for the most part.

So is the idea behind wearing a jumper that it is quite shapeless and very un-sexy? Is it actually meant to disguise the female form???

Haha, that skirt is cute! And the outfit stylishly accessorized!

The original homeschooler's denim uniform was definitely not "chic"!

I had a soft one, more of a chambray, that I would probably still wear if I still owned it. In the old days, the thickness of the denim seemed somehow inexplicably related to one's level of righteousness...

I love a denim skirt because it's a sure and simple step up from plain old jeans.  I can add boots and tights and a denim skirt to any top I'd wear with jeans and, ta-dah!, it's an outfit.  

In the spring/summer, just add cute flats or wedge sandals and you have the same result.  

They're an easy way to extend your wardrobe -- lots of bang for the buck!

Here's another cute look:

I have this in white denim and wore it several times a week last summer.  http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Clearance/Womens-Skirts/A-line-Full/WG455/Womens-Everyday-A-Line-Skirt.html?NavGroupID=13

So is the idea behind wearing a jumper that it is quote shapeless and very un-sexy? Is it actually meant to disguise the female form???

Maybe, sort of. Perhaps also to make a statement of functionality and practicality. Not adorning the outside (to the point of disdaining it, some might say). Sort of like school uniforms.

ETA I'm speaking of "back when." I really don't see much of this these days.

I own that skirt. It's pretty awesome. 

Perhaps I'm the only one, but the whole bash on the conservative/fundamentalist who lives on a more practical level either because she has to (poverty) or because they don't put importance on up-to-date clothing seems a little much lately. I've known several women and girls of the long skirt and hair variety and in the whole they've always been more practical help in a pinch and less judgmental about surface things than many women I've known. 

It's one thing to tell ourselves we're not that stereotype, but it's another to make fun of that person and how dowdy we think they look. The board is coming off as shallow. We're a varied group, don't you think there are some of those women here? How would that make you feel?  

Perhaps I'm the only one, but the whole bash on the conservative/fundamentalist who lives on a more practical level either because she has to (poverty) or because they don't put importance on up-to-date clothing seems a little much lately. I've known several women and girls of the long skirt and hair variety and in the whole they've always been more practical help in a pinch and less judgmental about surface things than many women I've known. 

It's one thing to tell ourselves we're not that stereotype, but it's another to make fun of that person and how dowdy we think they look. The board is coming off as shallow. We're a varied group, don't you think there are some of those women here? How would that make you feel?  

Agree.  I am far from a jumper wearing mama. However, we have family that has personal convictions about shapeless clothing and no jewelry (not even wedding rings) or makeup.  Of all of my extended family members they have been the most kind and unjudgemental group.  I don't hold their same convictions, yet I respect their expression of their beliefs. 

Eta:  I doubt we would all be so vocal about other ethnic, religious, or cultural choices.  (hijab, head covering, sari, etc.)

So is the idea behind wearing a jumper that it is quite shapeless and very un-sexy? Is it actually meant to disguise the female form???

I don't believe that wearing jumpers necessarily means the wearer is trying to hide her figure or to purposely look unattractive, as some seem to think. A denim jumper or skirt is a casual, practical outfit, like a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Some women wear skirts and dresses, not because of religious reasons, but for their own personal reasons, whatever they may be. Maybe it's too hot for jeans to be comfortable. Maybe a woman is heavy in the legs and has trouble finding pants to fit her. Maybe she just likes denim jumpers and skirts. Isn't it nice that we have so many choices?

I don't believe that wearing jumpers necessarily means the wearer is trying to hide her figure or to purposely look unattractive, as some seem to think. A denim jumper or skirt is a casual, practical outfit, like a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Some women wear skirts and dresses, not because of religious reasons, but for their own personal reasons, whatever they may be. Maybe it's too hot for jeans to be comfortable. Maybe a woman is heavy in the legs and has trouble finding pants to fit her. Maybe she just likes denim jumpers and skirts. Isn't t nice that we have so many choices?

I wear long skirts a lot because I find them comfortable and yes because I have a hard time finding pants I like. Jumpers seem impractical for breast feeding... A major consideration for me!

A lot of women here wear mid-calf length denim skirts that are straight, but then have a flair at the bottom; I think they are very attractive and functional, but for the life of me cannot find one to buy. I have looked all the places I know of, but no luck. :(

I agree and I can NEVER find those cute sort of skirts, unless they are already on someone else. Does anyone know where to get cute, flare at the bottom relatively cheap  skirts?

Cato's usually has long jean skirts.

I don't fit any homeschool mom or cool mom stereotype - long, unruly curls, 2 kids, no husband, FT job, Corolla, and don't care one bit about fashion - but they will probably bury me in a long jean skirt. I pretty much live in them year-round. They're comfortable, inexpensive, and practical.

I'm going to guess that the style (jumpers) was popular among home schoolers in the early nineties, because they were actually a popular style outside of home school circles too. I was a single or newly-married no-kids teacher then. I had a black corduroy jumper from Eddie Bauer and a chambray blue & white stripe jumper from Lands End. I couldn't afford the Laura Ashley jumpers or dresses but I liked to look at them in the store and thought they would be great for teachers, especially elementary teachers. I think the only people who wear them now are people who can make them because they haven't been in the stores or catalogs for years. But I liked the style back when it was "in".

I'm going to guess that the style (jumpers) was popular among home schoolers in the early nineties, because they were actually a popular style outside of home school circles too. I was a single or newly-married no-kids teacher then. I had a black corduroy jumper from Eddie Bauer and a chambray blue & white stripe jumper from Lands End. I couldn't afford the Laura Ashley jumpers or dresses but I liked to look at them in the store and thought they would be great for teachers, especially elementary teachers. I think the only people who wear them now are people who can make them because they haven't been in the stores or catalogs for years. But I liked the style back when it was "in".

I had a jumper when I was a ps teacher, too!  And, yes, it was a current style at the time.  Our school staff even had matching embroidered tees to be worn under the ubiquitous denim jumper..  It was just a given that everyone (or almost everyone) owned a jumper.  :)

Then came the demin shirt.  Now that was not my favorite.  I felt like I was wearing a prison uniform somehow.  I'll take the jumper or the skirt over the denim shirt, personally.

Long long I used to own and felt good in what you call denim 'jumpers'. (Jumpers to us have the prefix 'wooly'). They were long enough to hide hairy legs and could be worn with boots, while being both practical and a bit girly.

I also found little elasticated head scarves neat and  very effective for holding hair long back.

Then I realised I had become a "Christian Homeschooler" and what I had previously worn was now a uniform of a subset of that description.

So I  consciously retired the 'uniform'.

I wear long skirts a lot because I find them comfortable and yes because I have a hard time finding pants I like. Jumpers seem impractical for breast feeding... A major consideration for me!

They often have buttons or snaps in front or at the shoulder, or very low cut sides, allowing easy, discreet (when paired with a roomy top) nursing access.

This is the type of denim skirt I've seen on Michelle Duggar and her girls: http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/Women/Shop/Skirts/Long/PRD~18036055096160BK/Kim+Rogers+Long+Denim+Skirt.jsp

Sorry, but it's a frumpy style, especially when worn with Keds or other sneakers.

I like how they describe it as "equestrian". Uh, ain't nobody getting on a horse in that thing unless they're riding side-saddle. Even then, how would you climb up?

I think it's judgmental to call the entire board, which is comprised of hundreds of active members, "shallow."

Furthermore, though I don't recollect any posts of mine that focused on the dowdy clothing of some conservative homeschooling groups, I can say that my experiences with folks of that particular ilk were mixed. Some have been kind and warm, others virtually unapproachable.

Like everwhere, you get bad and good among people.

I get wanting to dress in a modest fashion so that one can bend over in the skirt without having to worry about it riding up in the back. But I don't see why "modest" has to equal "frumpy". To me, a skirt like this is both cute and modest: http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/Women/Shop/Skirts/Below_the_Knee/PRD~1800395JQSK0103/Choices++Long+Slinky+Skirt.jsp

This is what I wear at least 50% of the time: http://www.womanwithin.com/clothing/Flared-skirt.aspx?PfId=201796&DeptId=9270&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=G&pref=ps&ppos=4&Splt=0&StyleNo=3255#.UuVG9bROnIU  On me, as I'm short, they are about mid-calf.  Has nothing to do with religious convictions, homeschooling, etc. It has to do with my weight and body shape. A fuller or aline skirt is a much more aesthetically pleasing choice, I promise! These skirts are my jeans equivalent, and, yes, I do wear them with sneakers sometimes. :001_smile: I have very wide feet, and it's a lot easier to find sneakers that I can afford that fit rather than some other shoes. I wear them with socks or, if I have a non-sneaker shoe, trouser socks, as I have to have something between my foot and an enclosed shoe. As soon as the weather warms up, I tend to switch to sandals.

Other than those, I tend to the long print full broomstick style skirts, which I usually find at the thrift store. They're fun, a little funky, and, frankly, at 51, I dress to please myself, not to follow a specific fashion dictate. I didn't wear skirts for years because I hate panty hose and have large thighs (thanks to my family tree, where one can be a size 6 and still have big thighs!), but once I found split halfslips (also seen them referred to as pettipants or culotte underliners), a whole new world opened up to me.

I agree and I can NEVER find those cute sort of skirts, unless they are already on someone else. Does anyone know where to get cute, flare at the bottom relatively cheap  skirts?

You have to be willing to look everywhere, even in the most unlikely places.  I got mine from the juniors dept at Kohls about 8 years ago.  It even has a little bit of stretch, which is very nice.  I'll never get rid of it b/c I've never come across another one like it.  It looks something like this one (from ebay).

Didn't you just stereotype women who weren't the "long skirt and hair variety" as being less practical, less helpful, and less judgmental? ;)

I would wear any one of those Boden skirts in a heartbeat. Those are all super-cute! In fact, I'm having a hard time not just up and ordering one right now. 

FWIW, I did not think my poll of clothing/hair/autos was dismissive of any type of people. It's partially why I put some choices in there just to be absurdly inclusive, i.e., "We ride a donkey." I would not refrain from being friends with a woman even if she wore a shapeless, silly-looking jumper with schoolhouse appliques on the front...but I wouldn't seek her out for fashion advice or hoping for a hand-me-down! I have a range of friends - no doubt, some of them think I'm a fashion dope because I'm not opposed to buying things at Goodwill. 

This is the type of denim skirt I've seen on Michelle Duggar and her girls: http://www.belk.com/AST/Main/Belk_Primary/Women/Shop/Skirts/Long/PRD~18036055096160BK/Kim+Rogers+Long+Denim+Skirt.jsp

Sorry, but it's a frumpy style, especially when worn with Keds or other sneakers.

Even that skirt could look stylish and up-to-date with the right shoes -- I'd probably choose boots.  

I do think almost any skirt requires a certain shoe for it to look right.  

You know, everyone keeps throwing out the Duggars as an example of looking frumpy, and maybe that generally has been what they have been seen in,  but I saw something randomly on the internet with some of the older girls and remember thinking - "those are some CUTE skirts! Where do I get some of those skirts!" They were not the super long variety - more like mid calf, bias cut, a bit swishy. They looked very practical for church going with a horde of kids (which I do -  you can't comfortably do it with a pencil skirt when you have to be bending over and squatting to pick up kids), but still looking cute and - yes, actually - pretty trendy. Those kind of skirts are so hard to find -  they are like the holy grail of skirts for me. I keep meaning to get out my sewing machine and just make my own, but sewing is not a quick and easy process for me (and my good seamstress sister lives across the county).  I generally love modcloth style dresses, I just want to add about 4 inches to everything they sell for practicality. Anyone have a place they like for that kind of skirt?

You know, everyone keeps throwing out the Duggars as an example of looking frumpy, and maybe that generally has been what they have been seen in,  but I saw something randomly on the internet with some of the older girls and remember thinking - "those are some CUTE skirts! Where do I get some of those skirts!" They were not the super long variety - more like mid calf, bias cut, a bit swishy. They looked very practical for church going with a horde of kids (which I do -  you can't comfortably do it with a pencil skirt when you have to be bending over and squatting to pick up kids), but still looking cute and - yes, actually - pretty trendy. Those kind of skirts are so hard to find -  they are like the holy grail of skirts for me. I keep meaning to get out my sewing machine and just make my own, but sewing is not a quick and easy process for me (and my good seamstress sister lives across the county).  I generally love modcloth style dresses, I just want to add about 4 inches to everything they sell for practicality. Anyone have a place they like for that kind of skirt?

I agree with this. I'm not a big fan of Michelle Duggar's fashion in most cases, but I think Jessa/Jinger/Jill wear some very cute things while still keeping with their ideas of modesty. I think Jana (the oldest girl) seems the most likely to wear a very long skirt, while Jessa is the most likely to look modern and not frumpy at all. 

Those skirts ARE the holy grail, especially if you're trying to keep a lid on the budget. 

I guess I don't see why skirts, denim or not, are considered a "step up" from jeans or slacks. For me there are days and tasks that just work better on pants. For one, I'm the dork who can easy trip over my own long skirt when squating to do chores like the laundry. So not a rare event when I wear a longer skirt and it doesn't ever happen with jeans.