Menu

What's up with the denim jumper?

MIch elle

I don't get it!  Yes, I've heard it all before and it just doesn't FIT in my experience.  NYT: " the “denim jumper†crowd "

I homeschooled my boys for 11 yrs and I don't remember seeing denim jumpers on any of the women.  Maybe it's my area or the type of homeschoolers I hung with?  I haven't homeschooled for several years now, but it still bugs me - denim jumper - UGH! 

I tell everyone all the time, homeschoolers are JUST like any other large group - highly diverse!  :thumbup1:

Well, it was *the* uniform for homeschooling moms in the early 1990s.  I think that's where the stereotype comes from.  When I attended homeschooling conferences back then...those things were EVERYWHERE.  Except on me.  LOL  Fortunately, as homeschooling has grown more diverse over the years, so have homeschooling mom fashions.  I haven't seen a denim jumper at a convention in years.

I don't think it means to refer to literally wearing a denim jumper. It is more referring to a specific mindset.

And yes, homeschooling is increasingly diverse, but it seems to be more conservative and fundamentalist than what might be considered average. Hence, homeschooling conferences that have little to nothing to do with education or the difficulty in finding quality secular materials that aren't cast off textbooks.

For much of the mainstream secular world, that idea, of homeschoolers all being YEC or creationist or funamentalist, if they even think of it, at all is what comes to mind. 

The one and only time I attended a state homeschooling convention, the vendor hall was filled with long skirts and denim jumpers. Outside of that, I've never found that to be common among homeschoolers. Two women in our local group wore head coverings and long skirts/dresses, and I think they went to the same church.

I just looked up pictures of Denim jumpers. 

My Mom had one, it what was likely the 90s. She wasn't a homeschooler, and likely had never even heard of homeschooling. 

The reason I remember it was it had snap buttons from top to bottom at the front. So you could grab each side of the dress and rip it open. She didn't wear it much, but got a hoot of ripping it open when least expected. (If around company she would wear her swimsuit underneath)

• Haha 1

I don't think it means to refer to literally wearing a denim jumper. It is more referring to a specific mindset.

I'm not so sure about that. Depending on where you live, you may still see a lot of women dressing that way.

I attended the ENOCH convention in around 2005 or so, and my dh and I felt like we'd walked into another world when we saw how some of the moms were dressed. Not all of them, but enough to make us take notice. And it wasn't just jumpers, but Little House on the Prairie, too. And ENOCH is in New Jersey, where denim jumpers and the Laura Ingalls look aren't exactly the norm.

So you just never know.

It isn't necessarily meant to be taken literally, IMO. It's a way to generalize a specific subset of homeschooler. A denim jumper homeschool mom may or may not actually wear a denim jumper, just as a more Birkenstock kind of homeschool mom may not literally have a pair of clunky sandals on her feet and may or may not actually live in a yurt. I use both terms in a sort of tongue-in-cheek kind of way.

And yes, homeschooling is increasingly diverse, but it seems to be more conservative and fundamentalist than what might be considered average. Hence, homeschooling conferences that have little to nothing to do with education or the difficulty in finding quality secular materials that aren't cast off textbooks.

For much of the mainstream secular world, that idea, of homeschoolers all being YEC or creationist or funamentalist, if they even think of it, at all is what comes to mind. 

It isn't necessarily meant to be taken literally, IMO. It's a way to generalize a specific subset of homeschooler. A denim jumper homeschool mom may or may not actually wear a denim jumper, just as a more Birkenstock kind of homeschool mom may not literally have a pair of clunky sandals on her feet and may or may not actually live in a yurt. I use both terms in a sort of tongue-in-cheek kind of way.

When I started homeschooling in 1993 there were lots and lots of denim jumpers.  Denim jumper, tennis shoes and white socks were a dead giveaway if you saw a homeschool Mom out and about during the day.  Say at the dentist or doctor's office.

When I moved 18 years ago and went to my first homeschool support group meeting here, well, I was told later they did not know what to make of us as my daughter had on pants, wool sweater and clogs.  Seriously. She was wearing her grandmother's hand me down wool sweater zipped all the way up.  Nothing immodest about it.  But she was not wearing a skirt and they were all very leary of us! I don't know what I wore, but I know it was not a denim jumper.  The person who told me that story is still my friend. Not many wear denim jumpers anymore. When I volunteer at homeschoole events, they are still a few out there.

I think today it references a mindset, but they were a very real wardrobe item back in the day.

I don't see denim jumpers, but I see what I think is the "updated" version--long (mid-calf to ankle length) twill or denim skirt, some sort of a top that covers the shoulders and maybe the elbows, tights, sensible shoes.

It looks a lot like how the Duggars dress to me, if that makes sense. Because I see other women in long skirts/sleeves that don't have that religious/conservative/homeschool sort of look.

You may have worn one when you were pregnant. It's a sleeveless, scoop-neck dress designed to be worn over a shirt. Very handy for covering up the preggo belly that sticks out beneath non-maternity tops.

Funny, I had a denim jumper in the early 90's as a college student. I was not married, dating, homeschooling, or pregnant. Plus, I was skinny. I was in the line at the grocery store one time and the man in front of me in line kindly insisted I go ahead of him in line. I wasn't in a hurry and had more groceries than he did, so declined. Then he said, "Since you're carrying a baby, I insist you go first." How awquard for him when I said I wasn't pregnant. That's the last time I wore a denim jumper.

You may have worn one when you were pregnant. It's a sleeveless, scoop-neck dress designed to be worn over a shirt. Very handy for covering up the preggo belly that sticks out beneath non-maternity tops.

Nope.  I only wore pants when I was pregnant.  I don't like shirts or dresses but do on a rare occasion wear a dress (usually a wedding).

Wow, now I know why I never wore one - NOT flattering!

Not at all flattering, but when you're in that awkward late 1st trimester/early 2nd tri stage where your non-maternity clothes no longer fit but most maternity ones are too big, you'll take it. Though mine was black rather than denim.

In Southeastern Virginia, in the 90's, there were lots of denim jumpers, typically on homeschooling moms in single income families. They were inexpensive, easy to make, lasted forever, and could transition from pregnancy to nursing to coping with messy toddlers. Plus, you could wear them in any season with different tops underneath. It was just like any other kind of clothing that tends to define a group, it also gave you a sense of belonging, of not being alone in what you valued.

Things have changed.  I think a lot of moms got tired of that look or outgrew it as their families grew up. I haven't seen anyone dress like that in ages. I'm guessing that the daughters aren't particularly interested in dressing the way their mothers used to either.

Every public school teacher I had through probably 8th grade had one of those... usually embellished with apples or pencils and rulers! :lol:

LOL - maybe the homeschoolers thought they were wearing what a teacher should? 

I've never seen a teacher wear one of those, btw, but maybe I'm too old and (thankfully) missed that 'fashion' window...

Things have changed.  I think a lot of moms got tired of that look or outgrew it as their families grew up. I haven't seen anyone dress like that in ages. I'm guessing that the daughters aren't particularly interested in dressing the way their mothers used to either.

So why is it still defining the homeschool look in 2014 (NYT)? :toetap05:

My MIL has a denim jumper she still wears and is very supportive of homeschooling, so there may be some sort of connection here!

I had denim overalls when I was pregnant, but I purchased them in France so that may or may not have some offsetting style points or something, LOL. They were fairly cute for maternity overalls.

I do not own a denim jumper, and I always wear my skirt to the wrong things, I have a talent for that. I go to the CC meeting in a skirt because my last CC group were skirt wearing fools, the new CC group in a different state wears pants, I was the only one in a skirt. (We did CC for a few years when we were moving once a year, we no longer do CC.) I go to a skirt wearing group in my shortest pair of shorts, LOL. The one time I wore a skirt to the skirt wearing group, it was a picnic and I was the only one wearing a skirt...

I was living on a commune when i had my first child, in the early 90s.  I found a jumper of that same shape/style apparently made out of some sort of sack with printing on it.  I LOVED that thing - it was very practical esp on the commune - where we had outhouses which were emptied twice a week, and we were encouraged to pee outside.  Peeing outside is much easier when wearing a long skirt and going commando than it is when wearing pants or shorts.  I could layer things under it in the winter, or not in the summer.  i LOVED that thing.

Then i left the commune, and recognized that it was just so far out of fashion that I got funny looks everywhere I went, so I sadly ditched it.  I do still have a couple of drop-waist sundresses and sleeved dresses, because they are comfy - and my shape is hard to flatter anyways - very top-heavy and short . . . i cant wear empire dresses because the seam ends up across my chest.  

Thank you all for helping me understand. Can you imagine a small sketch of the photo, composed of dots, accompanying a dictionary entry of homeshooler? To me, a denim jumper correlates tightly with "uniform for trustworthy saleswoman of maple syrup and maple products."

And now that I understand, it looks fine (if it's clean). True I wouldn't want one, but the canonical denim is better than a tight, 2 sizes too small, shredded Spandex jumper with no shirt underneath. (ala "Homeschoolers of Walmart"-wear)

Hmmm...I thought that's what they were called. Your description is correct, though.

To me "prairie dress" is more evocative of what you see on the women and girls in polygamist compounds. Or what I see on Mennonite women in my area (I think they're Mennonite--they wear a white cap over their hair at the back of their heads), though some of them have short sleeves and hemlines.

Wow, now I know why I never wore one - NOT flattering!

I think that was the point.

But...they could be comfortable in a 'let it all hang' kind of way. I did not have anything quite so bland and shapeless but back in the day I did have more fitted jumpers with a little more styling to them.

When I started homeschooling in 1993 there were lots and lots of denim jumpers. Denim jumper, tennis shoes and white socks were a dead giveaway if you saw a homeschool Mom out and about during the day. Say at the dentist or doctor's office.

I was at the vet the other day and a woman & her two children came in with their dog. The kids were wearing pajamas. It was all I could do to stop myself from asking her if they were homeschoolers!

Are pajamas the new jumpers?

There are a lot of homeschool families who believe in skirts only(or most of the time) for girls. They are usually the ones wearing denim jumpers and other long skirts. At least in my experience. In the last 10 years homeschooling has become more diverse. :)

I used to wear jumpers all the time when I taught in public school.  I was in my early 20s, and I wore it b/c it was comfortable and I could squat/bend over without giving a room full of 6 yr olds views of anything I prefer stayed covered.

I also wore seasonally-themed necklaces. :D :D

I tend to think of yoga/lounge pants as the new SAHM uniform. :p  At least where I'm from...

(I think of denim jumpers for the ultra-conservative religious crowd.)

Before reading the above post, I was going to ask if I am a stereotypical homeschooler because I wear black yoga pants or loose knit pants most days. I like them because they are comfortable, easy to dress up or down, quick to put on, and go with T shirts or long sleeves equally well. Same reasons I liked the denim jumper in the early 90s till I got accused of being pregnant when I wasn't. So, as above poster mentioned, are lounge or yoga pants the new jumper?

The LL Bean catalog was full of those kinds of jumpers and dresses back in the mid 1990's when I began homeschooling. And I will admit, I did have a couple of them that I wore for a couple of years. They were not inexpensive but they were comfortable. I got rid of mine long ago (only wore them for church, etc.,and I rarely wear any dress or skirt today). I haven't really seen many in years but there are still a few out there, though. I don't think home school moms were the only ones wearing them either. I kind of resent the stereotype but do understand how it got started!