Menu

USNA Summer Stem Application Error Anyone? -- UPDATE SUCCESS!

So, we've been trying for 2 weeks to turn in ds's application, on 3 different browsers, from 2 different computers, making sure I wasn't using our VPN router, and we keep getting this error: 

Error!

ORA-02290: check constraint (USNADA.ADDR_TYPE_CK) violated

Insert to Addresses: ORA-20444: TAPI--2290:ORA-02290: check constraint (USNADA.ADDR_TYPE_CK) violated

My son sent an e-mail to the Admissions dept, who then forwarded it to their IT department because they were unfamiliar with it.  Anyone else have any ideas.  I'm just afraid we're going to forget about it (getting busy with activities, appointments, school & work has a way of doing that).

Thanks.

Can you submit from somewhere else like a library or friend's house in case it is some security setting you're not thinking of?

USNA (and many military sites) come up as potentially risky because they don't have valid security certificates. I'm always having to check that I accept the risk and want to go on to the site.

Can you submit from somewhere else like a library or friend's house in case it is some security setting you're not thinking of?

USNA (and many military sites) come up as potentially risky because they don't have valid security certificates. I'm always having to check that I accept the risk and want to go on to the site.

The error isn't being generated by my computer (like a security warning), it's coming from their end...but we could try submitting from the library on base tomorrow.

I would definitely try resubmitting it via a completely different system. If the IT department hasn't seen this as an error with lots of applicants, then it might be a simple settings issue on your end.

FWIW, the snow in DC had USNA totally shut down Tuesday and at least late arrival on Wednesday. So they may not have gotten through many trouble calls.

One other thought.  When we lived overseas in Germany, I used a dial up connection at home. I had real problems logging into many military computer systems. I guess that many of them had security protocols that rejected access from overseas IP addresses.

Does IT know that you are overseas?

If you can try to submit it using a computer hooked to a US government system, that might be the fix you need.

• 3 weeks later...

Well...we've tried 3 different browsers, 3 computers, and 3 different locations (Navy Support Site library computers, Navy Base computer, home computer)...still getting this error.  We've sent 4 e-mails...one even asking if it's possible an application was submitted (because the window was open on DS's computer, but his younger siblings were on it...and it's possible they submitted something, but it wasn't finished).  I'm guessing this is a rather unique error...lol

I'm just afraid DS or I are going to forget (with everything else that's going on), and then the application won't go in at all.  He's really hoping to go home this summer (if he goes to the STEM camp, he'd spent the summer back in VA with my folks, except for a couple of weeks at his grandparents' house in AR).  Getting in is a long-shot anyhow, but we figured we'd try (his younger sister is excited to try next summer).  I'd like him to get some more advanced hands-on physics/chem/robotics experience before he fully commits to that path, and spending some time at USNA would be good, too :D

Thanks...

Lisa

The error isn't being generated by my computer (like a security warning), it's coming from their end...but we could try submitting from the library on base tomorrow.

I think you are right.  Is there something unusual about a field you are filling in (too long, too short, no numbers in street address, funny characters like quote characters in name, etc.)?  Maybe something that wouldn't happen if you weren't in italy?

So, we've been trying for 2 weeks to turn in ds's application, on 3 different browsers, from 2 different computers, making sure I wasn't using our VPN router, and we keep getting this error: 

Error!

ORA-02290: check constraint (USNADA.ADDR_TYPE_CK) violated

Insert to Addresses: ORA-20444: TAPI--2290:ORA-02290: check constraint (USNADA.ADDR_TYPE_CK) violated

My son sent an e-mail to the Admissions dept, who then forwarded it to their IT department because they were unfamiliar with it.  Anyone else have any ideas.  I'm just afraid we're going to forget about it (getting busy with activities, appointments, school & work has a way of doing that).

Thanks.

Not an expert necessarily, but what it looks like the computer is complaining about is an address you entered into one of the fields in the application.  I'm not familiar with addresses in Italy but if the application is expecting the address to "look like" a US Address (house number, street, apartment, city, state, numeric zip), then this is the type of unhelpful error that you would see.

Double and triple check the addresses you have put into the form, particularly looking for things that let you indicate that you are entering an international address rather than one in the US.

Ah - is this the form you are filling out?

https://candidateinformation.usna.edu/ITSD/nass/acawu026$.startup

If so, make sure you have the country set correctly if you are filling in an international mailing address vs an APO/FPO.  Also that you are using the postal code field if you selected a country that is not the US.  These forms get a little tricky and if this is the right form, I would guess you have a mismatch in those address fields.

Not an expert necessarily, but what it looks like the computer is complaining about is an address you entered into one of the fields in the application.  I'm not familiar with addresses in Italy but if the application is expecting the address to "look like" a US Address (house number, street, apartment, city, state, numeric zip), then this is the type of unhelpful error that you would see.

Double and triple check the addresses you have put into the form, particularly looking for things that let you indicate that you are entering an international address rather than one in the US.

Ah - is this the form you are filling out?

https://candidateinformation.usna.edu/ITSD/nass/acawu026$.startup

If so, make sure you have the country set correctly if you are filling in an international mailing address vs an APO/FPO.  Also that you are using the postal code field if you selected a country that is not the US.  These forms get a little tricky and if this is the right form, I would guess you have a mismatch in those address fields.

Yes... that's the form.  We're entering the FPO address correctly (we have gotten errors if we put something in there incorrectly, for example, if we add a comma that's not needed, get an error, list the PO in the wrong spot, error, put Italy as the country -- not accepted with the FPO address ;)  Missing something that's required...error...it takes roughly 30 minutes to complete this application...haha...entry errors are common.

I don't have anything helpful to say, but I sometimes wonder if successful form filling out is the first weed-out. I once worked for someone who didn't give directions to the office for the interview. Actually figuring out where the office was located was test #1. Of course, with GPS in our cars and phones, that is no longer a challenge. However, in the 1990's it could be.

I don't have anything helpful to say, but I sometimes wonder if successful form filling out is the first weed-out. I once worked for someone who didn't give directions to the office for the interview. Actually figuring out where the office was located was test #1. Of course, with GPS in our cars and phones, that is no longer a challenge. However, in the 1990's it could be.

Lol...Well...we didn't have any problems last year.  All that's changed is our address...but I'm not sure how one messes up a box number and zip (they even have a special line for FPO...) So...we must really be dense!  DH, DS and I have done all we know how to do, and the bad weather always seems to coincide with our queries.  Just watch...we'll try to follow up again in a couple weeks, and the east coast will have another huge winter storm!

I agree with Sebastian. My non-techy self says to find someone with a computer that correctly connects to US gov sites (your dh's work?) or have someone stateside try to upload it for you.

I can't remember what it was, but many years ago we had something similar happen, and we think the issue was merely an 'out of country' security setting thing. Sort of like how people in Canada can't stream US Netflix.

Good luck, LisaK. Don't give up!

We have success!  i've been trading e-mails this afternoon from someone in the Admin office.  The problem is that we moved and our address is different from last year.  Seriously.  All I did was put in our old address and phone number and it worked.  Apparently, since he applied last year, that information needed to match *exactly*.  Now that the application is in, the Admissions office will correct our contact information to the updated information (which i have e-mailed them).

Thankfully, I did this from our home...using my own laptop and our VPN router...haha!

Now that is one thing done, off my list...because I have nothing else to do...lol

Thanks!