Menu

Do you think "The Patriot" has enough value to watch for Am.Rev?

Lara in Colo

I'd hesitate myself, based on the brutality of that movie. I haven't watched it in quite a few years, though. I just remember that there were a couple of brutal deaths that were very hard to accept (as an adult, let alone a teen). 

These are all my thoughts too--- I guess I just needed some backup  :)

I don't have anything else-- We tried to watch some of the history channel's things and they were boring-- We just read the book Mr Revere and I.  I guess it will have to do and we can move on.   I really just wanted a movie that gave the "feel" of the time -- farmers being soldiers and the British being superior......

No way on The Patriot, IMHO.

1776 (the musical) is my favorite American Revolution movie.    Yes, it's very corny....but some dialogue is taken from actual letters and the play was written by a history teacher who loved that era.   If you can get past the singing and dancing, it's actually a pretty good story of what was going on in Congress during the revolution.  You see how Congress was just as bad then as it is now.  How these men were regular people, and not gods.  There's a song that explains why the northern states were no less guilty about slavery than the southern states.   And you see John Adam's struggle with having to compromise on the slavery issue, to save the country.  Which made me understand how the civil war happened a little bit better.  

But, I am a biased history geek who loves musicals and the American Revolution, so maybe take that into consideration :lol:.

There are some saucy moments, FYI.

1776 (the musical) is my favorite American Revolution movie.    Yes, it's very corny....but some dialogue is taken from actual letters and the play was written by a history teacher who loved that era.   If you can get past the singing and dancing, it's actually a pretty good story of what was going on in Congress during the revolution.  You see how Congress was just as bad then as it is now.  How these men were regular people, and not gods.  There's a song that explains why the northern states were no less guilty about slavery than the southern states.   And you see John Adam's struggle with having to compromise on the slavery issue, to save the country.  Which made me understand how the civil war happened a little bit better.  

But, I am a biased history geek who loves musicals and the American Revolution, so maybe take that into consideration :lol:.

There are some saucy moments, FYI.

A kindred spirit.  I love 1776.   

My mature 12 year old, and typical 14 year olds both say they would recommend it.  

It IS rather graphic, but personally, I think that's part of what makes the story realistic...  

The historical details leave...much to be desired.  It would be like considering Braveheart to be a good source of Scottish history. 

If you can get past the singing and dancing ...

And minor swearing/using the Lord's name in vain, as I recall. Yes? That's what made me uncomfortable about showing it to my kids, I think. That and the afore-mentioned sauciness, but more the cursing.

Other than that, I did like it too.

And minor swearing/using the Lord's name in vain, as I recall. Yes? That's what made me uncomfortable about showing it to my kids, I think. That and the afore-mentioned sauciness, but more the cursing.

Other than that, I did like it too.

They say "Good God!" several times as an exclamation.  And also, "may God d#mn him" a couple of times.  Common Sense Media says that it's for ages 8 and up, with some strong language.   I would say more like 10 and up because it might not hold the attention of the under 10 crowd.  Or anyone who hates historical musicals :lol:! 

I think if you take the Patriot as a fictional movie, but pick out the parts that are realistic....how people were living, the affect of the war, the British, etc, it has a wee bit of value....I mean, it's no different than reading a historical fiction book in that sense....the "setting" is good, just don't think you are reading or watching a documentary. On the other hand, the places in the movie are real....you can visit the magnolia plantation today in Charlesron.....that's a beautiful scene in the movie.

The John Adams documentary that HBO put out was FANTASTIC! I would easily choose it over The Patriot.

The JA doc really did a great job of showing what families sacrificed to build our nation and the impact of the war on all involved. It is NOT a feel good movie. When it was over dh and I were kind of shell shocked at what Adams and his family had to endure. It was their choice because they believed in the cause, but, the price they paid for their choice. I'm not sure I could have done the same.

They say "Good God!" several times as an exclamation. 

Ah, yes, that was it.  We'd be crossing ourselves a lot.  ;)   I don't mind minor swearing, but the Lord's name is a hard one for us.  Maybe I'll prep them ahead of time and then watch it.  I did like how it described those events and discussions.