Menu

How do you pronounce Leah?

Veritaserum

How would you pronounce the name Leah?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. How would you pronounce the name Leah?

• LEE-uh
    • LAY-uh
    • Lee
    • Lay
    • Other

I had to say other. If I'm around people from my moms side and someone has Leah as a name, I assume it's Lay-ah. If someone it's most other people around here I assume it's Lee-ah. So I use both and I couldn't vote for both so I voted other. The Lay-ah version was on the table as a girls name for us.

People called her Leia, but Star Wars was popular back then. But she was named after a Roy Orbison song, and he clearly says LEE-uh. LOL

In "Star Wars," it was pronounced "LEE-uh." In "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi," it somehow morphed into "LAY-uh." What's that about??!!

In "Star Wars," it was pronounced "LEE-uh." In "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi," it somehow morphed into "LAY-uh." What's that about??!!

Really??! I didn't watch those movies, and had no idea.

That's pretty funny. :) I'm going to ask my brothers if they knew that - sounds like a trivia stumper!

We say LEE-uh. People don't have a problem if they hear it first. If they read it (like at the doctor's office) they most often try "Lay." The second most common is "Lee." Then "LAY-uh." When I say it's LEE-uh, they usually have a lightbulb moment. I don't understand the trouble. We live in a predominantly Christian area, so I would expect familiarity with reading the name. At the very least I would expect "LAY-uh" as the common "mispronunciation" since it is the other standard way of saying it.

I always thought it was odd that everyone says Han Solo (Han as in man) except Leia who says Han (as in flan)

Ok, wait...I pronounce "Han" and "flan" the same way, but what do I know? I'm from southeastern Virginia, where no one ever says "flan," lol.

I've heard it both ways. I tend to say Lay-uh, as I have an older friend who pronounces it this way. (From NYC). Also, Star Wars. ;)   Princess Leia is Lay-uh,

Ah, I see the Star Wars angle has been covered. It's not a mispronunciation, it's merely a variation.  My friend is 65, and was a (biblical/Jewish) Lay-uh, spelled Leah, long before SW. :)   (

Ok, wait...I pronounce "Han" and "flan" the same way, but what do I know? I'm from southeastern Virginia, where no one ever says "flan," lol.

I've never heard anyone say Han for Hahn (Solo). That's wrong. ;)  Luke and Leia absolutely call him Hahn. Although he will always by Indy to me. ("We named the *dog* Indiana.")

I've never heard anyone say Han for Hahn (Solo). That's wrong. ;)  Luke and Leia absolutely call him Hahn. Although he will always by Indy to me. ("We named the *dog* Indiana.")

Ok, I just rewatched all three SW movies a couple of weeks ago. Now I'll have to watch them again. I'm sure she says "Han" at least once, probably in Return of the Jedi, but I'm not taking any bets on it, lol.

And then I'll have to rewatch the Indiana Jones movies, too, lol.

I've always said Lee. I guess that's wrong?

But weirdly I think of Lea Thompson (from Back to the Future & Switched at Birth) as Lee-ah.

Funny to see this thread right at the same time as the "importance of phonics" thread since phonetically "Lee-ah" for Leah seems ALL WRONG to me.

That'd be like pronouncing Michael "Mica-el".

The phonics work if you divide it in the correct place.

Le/ah

E at the end of a syllable says EE

AH turns into a schwa sound in an unstressed syllable; if it were pronounced phonetically it would be AH like father

The name would still be close to LEE-uh as LEE-ah.

If someone divides it like this

Lea/h

EA says EE or AY (or EH) and the h does nothing.

I've never seen that as a standard spelling for Lee. Lee is my maiden name. I've had people misspell it as Leigh or Lea or Li, but never Leah.

I have no idea why people in your area wouldn't know how to pronounce "Leah." But then, I live in Bibleland, U.S.A., and yet I have encountered some of the most unique pronunciations of "Rebekah."

Including "REE-bic-cuh" lol.

Wow! Rebekah was on our short list a few times. Do people just thump their bibles instead of reading them? :P

Those Bible-based names (Hebrew in this case) are often transliterated straight into every language through their mother-tounge Bible translation. That results in each language group getting approximately the same letters, but pronouncing them according to the pronuncuation strategies of their mother tounge. This results in a wide variety of legitimate pronunciations for names that are spelled the same.

I've heard it both ways. I tend to say Lay-uh, as I have an older friend who pronounces it this way. (From NYC). Also, Star Wars. ;)   Princess Leia is Lay-uh,

Ah, I see the Star Wars angle has been covered. It's not a mispronunciation, it's merely a variation.  My friend is 65, and was a (biblical/Jewish) Lay-uh, spelled Leah, long before SW. :)   (

I don't really care how it's pronounced, KWIM? However people want their names pronounced is fine with me.  :-) It's just weird that it was pronounced one way in Star Wars and another way in The Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi. o_0

I've always said Lee. I guess that's wrong?

But weirdly I think of Lea Thompson (from Back to the Future & Switched at Birth) as Lee-ah.

Funny to see this thread right at the same time as the "importance of phonics" thread since phonetically "Lee-ah" for Leah seems ALL WRONG to me.

That'd be like pronouncing Michael "Mica-el".

Ah, but both these names are Hebrew in origin. A phonetic transliteration of the Hebrew form of Michael would be MÄ«khÄʼēl (the a makes an "ah" sound, the "kh" is something like chi in Scottish loch).

I don't really care how it's pronounced, KWIM? However people want their names pronounced is fine with me.  :-) It's just weird that it was pronounced one way in Star Wars and another way in The Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi. o_0

Dd and I are listening to The Penderwicks--there are 3 books so far in the series--and in the third book she (same narrator for all 3) changes 2 of the name pronunciations. :glare:  It almost feels like it's a different story just because of that.

I have no idea why people in your area wouldn't know how to pronounce "Leah." But then, I live in Bibleland, U.S.A., and yet I have encountered some of the most unique pronunciations of "Rebekah."

Including "REE-bic-cuh" lol.

I know quite a few people who pronounce Rebekah as REE beck uh.

And I always pronouced Leah as LEE UH.  And that was 20+ years before I was a Christian, so a Bible name had nothing to do with it- it was just how every Leah I knew pronounced their name.

Oh, that and this song: 

Leah is my Hebrew name, too, and until this series of posts I honestly had no idea that people pronounced it "Lee-ah."  I have only heard (and said) "Lay-ah," both in Hebrew and in English.  I would think that that Lea might be Lee-ah, but never Leah.