Menu

Really awesome physics?

I debated where to put this, so may cross post in the AL or HS forums. I'm looking into physics programs for next year. Algebra based if extremely rigorous, calc based ok too. The goal is to use physics to broaden math usage, have solid concepts taught, not so much experimental since one kid has sensory issues and doesn't like messes. I've looked at thinkwell, Derek Owens, conceptual physics, and am going to go look over the thread about 'living physics' again next.

We don't have to do this next year, but I like the idea of a rotation that goes physics-chem-bio/bio chem.

If you used and loved a solid program... Please tell me why!

Thank you for the suggestions. The MIT class notes look very good and I may draw on some sections no matter what program we choose. I haven't looked at the lectures yet. Kinetic physics, the mid level Principles class looks very much like what I'm looking for. The virtual lab component is fabulous. We can get the sm with a PO if we report on it and the school gets the FTE, though we'd do it at home. Our state allows for cool options like that.

Hewitt and the Udacity courses do not sound math heavy. In our case this is to stretch the math out, so exercises are an important part of what program we choose. Conceptual manipulation much more desirable that straight up calculations. This will be a first formal physics course for both older kids. I expect that in a few more years they will take another. Oddly, neither child is interested in a STEM career at this point. They are not into Legos or robotics.

If more details help: kids are math strong, do not like crafty (RSO chem was an immense flop), one isn't interested in video lectures and likes dry text, other loves science documentaries, little formal science education so far (but both parents science backgrounds so they probably get more education than I realize from our household culture), both really like to think.

Any other opinions? If your kid loved what they did, can you tell me what was appealing? Thank you!

Lou Bloomfield is teaching a course on basic mechanics called How Things Work on Coursera.  We are really enjoying it.  It's not math heavy at all, he presents formulas but is going for conceptual understanding of how physics works in object and events of everyday life.  We're doing the course (lectures and homework) and reading from Bloomfield's text alongside.  We are also doing the lab-at-home activities in the Stop Faking It: Force & Motion book put out by NSTA.  It's an excellent combination, we are enjoying it and learning a lot.

Lou Bloomfield is teaching a course on basic mechanics called How Things Work on Coursera.  We are really enjoying it.  It's not math heavy at all, he presents formulas but is going for conceptual understanding of how physics works in object and events of everyday life.  We're doing the course (lectures and homework) and reading from Bloomfield's text alongside. . .

Can you give an example of the homework, pretty please? ;)

Can you give an example of the homework, pretty please? ;)

Yes, it's not mathy at all:  They are questions that rely on a deep(er than I have) understanding of the concepts described in the lesson:  so in the first set it's checking your understanding of velocity, inertia, friction, mass vs. weight, acceleration, and Newton's first and 2nd laws.  They are multiple choice questions.  But surprisingly difficult!  

The nice thing is that you can do the problem set as many times as you want, so after we did it once and didn't do so well, we read the book again and tried a second time and got 8/10.  So in that sense, it's a good lesson in how to learn: learn the basics thoroughly.  If you don't get them after one pass, go through them again!  And persist until you have them down.  I love that math and science are getting more challenging, because it's really forcing my smart/good memorizer/quick study student to realize that, actually, you have to *study* and *work* to learn new difficult things.  It doesn't all come easy.  But it's worth it!

I don't know if we're allowed to post specific quiz questions - some classes are really strict that you aren't supposed to do that.  I don't think this one is, because it seems like people are discussing them on the Discussion Forums . . . 

How about an example that isn't exactly one of the questions, but close?

A Canadian goose is flying south at 60 mph.  A Mexican fly-catcher is flying north at 60 mph.  Describe their motion:

A. Different speeds, same velocity

B. Same speed, different velocity

C. Same speed, same velocity,

D. Different Speed, Different velocity

That one was pretty easy.  There was a harder one about a chair being dragged (east) across a room at constant velocity, and you had to determine the type of force being exerted on the chair (with various choices ranging from downward to the east, upward to the east, zero, or another option I don't recall.  It was trickier because you had to realize that the *net* force on the chair had to be zero because it was moving at a constant velocity, so that the forces of gravity, pulling, and friction  cancelled out.  I don't remember the exact wording, but it was rather sophisticated, I thought . . . 

Does that help?  I'd have to go back into the quiz and cut and paste to get you an exact question, and again, I'm not sure that's allowed.  I'd hate to lose my Coursera privileges . . .  :eek:  ;)  :D

My ds loved Kinetic physics. If you don't need a sm you can Oder directly from Kinetic Books. If you need a sm, the only way I know to get one is by registering for a single class with Kolbe Academy and ordering the sm from them.

http://www.kineticbooks.com/products/physics/product_demo_physics.html

This is probably a lame question, but what is sm? Is it solutions manual?

I don't know if we're allowed to post specific quiz questions - some classes are really strict that you aren't supposed to do that.  I don't think this one is, because it seems like people are discussing them on the Discussion Forums . . . 

How about an example that isn't exactly one of the questions, but close?

A Canadian goose is flying south at 60 mph.  A Mexican fly-catcher is flying north at 60 mph.  Describe their motion:

A. Different speeds, same velocity

B. Same speed, different velocity

C. Same speed, same velocity,

D. Different Speed, Different velocity

That one was pretty easy.  There was a harder one about a chair being dragged (east) across a room at constant velocity, and you had to determine the type of force being exerted on the chair (with various choices ranging from downward to the east, upward to the east, zero, or another option I don't recall.  It was trickier because you had to realize that the *net* force on the chair had to be zero because it was moving at a constant velocity, so that the forces of gravity, pulling, and friction  cancelled out.  I don't remember the exact wording, but it was rather sophisticated, I thought . . . 

Does that help?  I'd have to go back into the quiz and cut and paste to get you an exact question, and again, I'm not sure that's allowed.  I'd hate to lose my Coursera privileges . . .  :eek:  ;)  :D

:smilielol5:

This is perfect! Thanks! I was just wondering how it compares to what we're doing. I was having a moment of looking at yonder grass and thinking it such a pretty shade of green. ;)

:smilielol5:

This is perfect! Thanks! I was just wondering how it compares to what we're doing. I was having a moment of looking at yonder grass and thinking it such a pretty shade of green. ;)

Well, because green is one of my favorite colors . . . what *are* you doing for Physics, anyway?  I think you may have told me this at some point, but I have forgotten . . . 

The virtual labs are fabulous. Ds loved everything about the course. It is what made him fall in love with physics. That is awesome that you have a way to order wo difficulty. Seriously, what is more fun than generating the correct equations to make a game work?

When did he do this? And which one (s)? They do look pretty cool . . . 

Well, because green is one of my favorite colors . . . what *are* you doing for Physics, anyway?  I think you may have told me this at some point, but I have forgotten . . . 

We are using CPO for a spine. It's not perfect, but it has been perfect for us during this time of transition. I think I've decided to continue using it for the rest of the year. The math is a good fit, as are the skills sheets and tests. For us it's a good integration of science, math, and writing.

She is just now getting to the point where a second session of math in the afternoon doesn't send her around the bend. :willy_nilly:

Reading, writing, and arithmetic. We've got those covered! We do them all.day.long. ;) 

Disclaimer: I only mentioned CPO because I was asked. I'm not sure it classifies as "really awesome physics."   I am never sure what phrases like that mean. It doesn't sound like what the OP is looking for, though. Use at your own risk. ;)

Derek Owens worked well in general. Lots of math to apply. But if your guys are ready for calc-based I would count it too easy.

The nice thing about Derek's course for my boy:

- visual with sometimes funny videos

- ability to take it slow or fast, usually slow lol

- ability to hit the pause button and work on physics projects with Dad to apply concepts learned before moving on -- they built a remote controlled rover and later added rocket blasters to the rover and studied rocketry with applied physics that way...and ended up taking 2 whole years to finish the course as a result lol

- labs that could be done at home relatively independently (even for an exec function challenged kid)

- lots of practice problems, he insisted on doing each one and it helped develop a good attitude as well

- email support from Derek when he was stuck

- neat online gradebook for clueless mom to keep track

The only cons I can think of:

- It's not 100% secular if that is important to you but also easy to skip the philosophical parts (a few small portions in chapters 9 and 10) if you want to or just discuss with the kids if you prefer that route.

- Kiddo did the Hons option. It was a good challenge when he started it 2 years ago but now with so much math behind him, I think it's too easy.

If interested, email Derek to ask for ideas or to see if you can sample it. He is very, very nice and so wonderfully flexible.

www.derekowens.com

I appreciate all suggestions. Right now I am weeding through programs, but it will probably take months to decide. I titled this 'really awesome physics' to capture the attention of moms who felt that their kids loved what they did for physics.

Calc based is not appropriate at this time. By fall, with some concurrent learning, it could be. Alg based that really gives the math meaning is what I think I'm looking for. We look for secular materials for science, but religious content or philosophical tangents are fine.

Take a look at the threads on the high school board that mention Knight Jones College Physics. This is an algebra based book used in many colleges and for AP physics level. (Physics majors and engenders would use a calc based book like Knight Physics for Scientists and Engineers, but chem or bio majors or non science majors might use the College Physics book).

I like the book and my kids liked it. I ended up switching mid year because their math wasn't solid enough for the exercises to become natural. But that was a matter of our overloading not necessarily a problem with the book. I think for students tottering between algebra and physics it could be a good option. For students who have just finished algebra it may end up too much like eating an elephant.

Lou Bloomfield is teaching a course on basic mechanics called How Things Work on Coursera.  We are really enjoying it.  It's not math heavy at all, he presents formulas but is going for conceptual understanding of how physics works in object and events of everyday life.  We're doing the course (lectures and homework) and reading from Bloomfield's text alongside.  We are also doing the lab-at-home activities in the Stop Faking It: Force & Motion book put out by NSTA.  It's an excellent combination, we are enjoying it and learning a lot.

We're doing the same combo and Cyrus adores it!