Menu

Help for son struggling with Algebra!

We've used Teaching Textbooks for 5 yrs so his math content has been consistent. He does well in math and he did great with the TT Pre Algebra course.

But Algebra 1 has been a nightmare and after lesson 20 or so he has hit a wall and he was only getting less than half the questions right after that.

We even deleted it all and started over in November because he admitted he wasn't doing all the practice problems which is key to learning some of the concepts.

I've had him watch Kahn academy videos (he didn't like these because they didn't teach the concept the same way as TT), we bought the Great Courses Algebra course (he is watching this now and says he "kind of gets it" but it's not translating to the TT problems), but he just isn't getting the Teaching Textbooks Algebra.

I tried to find a tutor but one was not taking new students, another was too far, and another doesn't want to use TT, but her own book which I didn't like. 

My husband could explain some of the concepts to him but it was in a different way than TT taught the concept so when he went to do the problems without his dad, he couldn't do it.

I will admit that he likes doing math "in his head" and I tell him repeatedly that you can't do that with algebra, he has to write the steps out.

I simply CAN NOT help with this, this is my one subject I barely passed in high school, and honestly, only got by because I was a good student otherwise. I learned nothing in algebra.

Honestly, if he didn't have to pass some standardized tests to get to comm college, I'd probably let him do something else entirely like consumer math or an accounting class.

He's very spatial and I bet he will do great in geometry but he really needs more algebra before we can go on.

Any other programs that might help him?? I am at a loss.

ETA:

I should add that he his very auditory which is why TT has worked well for him and textbooks not as much.

I don't think a textbook by itself would work for him, though I have not tried another Algebra book yet.

If you aren't willing/able to do the algebra alongside your son (perfectly understandable, I've been there three times....) would you consider outsourcing? Derek Owens offers an algebra class that can be done at the student's pace--- I believe you pay by the month.

I've outsourced math and science this whole time... I just knew I didn't have it in me.

Trying to keep up with ds with his AoPS algebra... my last chance to have a study-buddy. :)

I could have written this. Add to it TT isn't working on our new computer and no matter how many times we call TT we can't fix it. :glare:

This morning I ordered Saxon Algebra and the Art Reed DVDs. I also signed her up for these free videos that seem to go along with Saxon: http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/course/category.php?id=65

I really wanted to stick with TT to the end and not switch around, but it's not working. If Saxon doesn't help I'm going to put her in Kumon over the summer and figure it out from there.

We love Thinkwell Algebra. Great videos and tons of practice problems. That said, a kid needs someone to talk him through difficult spots, and that someone needs to have watched the explanation the kid watched. I know algebra cold, but I mix up my son when I solve a problem in a way different from what the program just taught him. So, when he is confused I watch the relevant sections with him and THEN I explain. If your husband does not have the time for this then you should indeed sign up for a class or tutor.

MathUSee is a gentle Algebra I. In fact, some common Algebra I topics are delayed until Algebra II with that curriculum. (The author feels that students will have more maturity by waiting until Algebra II for some things.)

For this reason, if he goes to Algebra II, you'll need to keep with this vendor, as this Algebra I may not prepare you for someone else's Algebra II.

I was going to suggest Math U See as well. It is a very gentle and basic Algebra 1. FWIW, I could have written your post. My 15yo is on Year 2 of Algebra 1. He STRUGGLED through the first 3 chapters (yes, only 3) of Lial's Introductory Algebra last year. It was excruciating for both of us. This year he is still struggling, though making consistent progress. It is still excruciating and math is easy for me! I would also suggest the Key to Algebra set to fulfill the requirement and move on. I am contemplating just that with my son as I cannot afford MUS at this point. One more resource would be Jann in TX's online classes using the Lial's textbook. She is very good. :)

What concepts, specifically, is he having trouble with?  If you are able to specify what he doesn't understand, some posters may be able to suggest something to use as a supplement that may help.

Here's the TOC for the first 20 lessons of TT Algebra 1:

Chapter 1: Algebra Basics 2 

Lesson 1—Advanced Arithmetic 3 
 Lesson 2—The Purpose of Algebra 7 
Lesson 3—Undoing and the Golden Rule of Algebra 12 
 Lesson 4—Undoing Multiplication and Division 18 
 Lesson 5—Commutative Properties 22 
 Lesson 6—Algebra Notation 26 
 Lesson 7—Percent Problems 32 
 Lesson 8—Banking and Business 37 
 Lesson 9—Moon Vacation 41 
Lesson 10—Extending the Concept of Speed 46 
Chapter 2: Working with Integers 49 
 Lesson 11—Less than Zero 50 
 Lesson 12—Negatives in Action 54 
 Lesson 13—Adding with Negatives 58 
 Lesson 14—Subtracting with Negatives 62 
 Lesson 15—Multiplying Negatives 67 
 Lesson 16—Dividing Negatives … 70 
 Lesson 17—Undoing Equations with Negatives 73 
 Lesson 18—Negatives and Fractions 77 
 Lesson 19—Changing –x to x 80 
Chapter 3: Order of Operations 83 
 Lesson 20—Order of Operations 84

Here's the TOC for the first 20 lessons of TT Algebra 1:

In my opinion, (hopefully others will chime in) the topics you listed seem more like pre-algebra issues than algebra issues.  One suggestion would have him review the concepts you listed using "The Key to Series..."  The Key to Series has small workbooks for the topics you listed.  Until those concepts are mastered, he is going to have a difficult time in algebra regardless of the program you use.

Hopefully others will have other suggestions as well.  Good luck.

Helena, you may find that you'll need to start with Saxon 8/7 before moving to Algebra I.   Saxon has a unique way of doing things and incorporates a lot of geometry into their pre-algebra  and algebra.  You won't actually lose any time by going "back" since you won't need a separate geometry course.   This is assuming this is the 3rd edition.  If it's the 4th edition, then the geometry is done in a separate text, but the 8/7, or whatever is used for pre-algebra in the 4th edition series, could still be helpful if she's coming from TT.

OP, as your son admitted to skipping problems in the TT algebra, it's possible he did the same in their pre-algebra.  I agree with going back, or at least giving him the pre-algebra tests to see if he has areas of difficulty.  Working with fractions has to be mastered before algebra.

Ann, you might need to buckle down and sit down right beside him.  I'd go back to the last lesson for which he scored in the 90s and pick up from there.  Sit right beside him and have a spiral bound notebook for each of you.  Listen to the lesson together and both of you do it.  Skip nothing, commiserate together, make some manipulatives.  Did you ever do Hands-On Equations?  We did, so she has those manipulatives and just the thought process of how things move.  They have an app that is affordable, or the whole program itself is good.  You said he's very good with spatial stuff, and the manipulatives take advantage of that.  He just has to move them in his mind.

As far as quibbling over the text, I figure if you're hiring a tutor, you use what they prefer.  A good tutor can make any book work, so it isn't about the book.  If you want to hire a tutor, use what they say and be done with it.  

No TT algebra is not the hardest program, but it's a step up from what he was previously doing in the pre-algebra.  His bad habits (laziness, shortcuts, not being willing to write out on paper) are coming back to bite him.  It gets hard, so he cuts corners.  For us the answer was to sit down together and I actually had to sit there every moment and watch her.  In your case, I'd do it together, as it might be a good psychological process for both of you.  You're not confident on the math and he's struggling, so you'd be working together on it.  I knew the math, so in our case I merely needed to enforce.  

Anyways, it IS harder for him.  The lessons may take him DOUBLE what they did at the pre-algebra level, and that's a shock!  You can validate that but help him step up to it.  Yes, we use an inexpensive spiral composition book to keep her work tidy.  That way you know it's getting done. I also think it's a good learning process for a student at this age to realize they didn't understand something and have to REDO the lesson, rewind, back up.  My dd has to do this.  Her stuff is DEFINITELY taking longer because of this.  Just because TT tries to bring it in reach doesn't mean it won't be hard or require that kind of mental effort.  It builds character in them to realize they didn't understand, self-monitor, and go ok, let's back up.

For my son who struggles with math, TT Pre-Algebra was difficult but doable. TT Algebra 1 was HARD. It took an hour to get through half a lesson. He needed me to sit with him and help but A ) he was 14 and really not wanting hand-holding by me and B ) I had two younger students who needed my time at least as much if not more. I don't think it is the end of the world if it takes two years to get through Algebra 1, but I can see that time is pressing. It is also not the end of the world to do consumer math. I'm not sure what the answer is for your family, though a tutor does seem like a good option.

Helena, you may find that you'll need to start with Saxon 8/7 before moving to Algebra I.   Saxon has a unique way of doing things and incorporates a lot of geometry into their pre-algebra  and algebra.  You won't actually lose any time by going "back" since you won't need a separate geometry course.   This is assuming this is the 3rd edition.  If it's the 4th edition, then the geometry is done in a separate text, but the 8/7, or whatever is used for pre-algebra in the 4th edition series, could still be helpful if she's coming from TT.

OP, as your son admitted to skipping problems in the TT algebra, it's possible he did the same in their pre-algebra.  I agree with going back, or at least giving him the pre-algebra tests to see if he has areas of difficulty.  Working with fractions has to be mastered before algebra.

Ugh.

I think she's going to prefer Saxon to TT, if Algebra I is too much we'll go back and come back to this one next year. 

Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks everyone, you've given helpful insight.

Regarding Pre-Algebra, he was only missing up to 3 questions per lesson (not missing 3 every lesson, but 3 at the most) so he was successful in that program. He passed the tests with 90% or better. BUT, he was not writing all the steps out as I mentioned, so he did not develop good habits which is definitely biting him in the butt now. I was looking at the gradebook for a measure of success, not HOW he was getting it done.

I do think I will look at Key to Algebra because I have used some of their other books when needed and they were helpful.

I also think I have to accept that this will likely be a 2 yr program for him, which is fine. Maybe letting go of the pressure of getting it done this summer will take off some stress from both of us.

I think someone else teaching him would benefit him most so I will definitely look harder at tutors.With 3 younger kids at home also, this would benefit BOTH of us I think.

Thanks everyone, you've given helpful insight.

Regarding Pre-Algebra, he was only missing up to 3 questions per lesson (not missing 3 every lesson, but 3 at the most) so he was successful in that program. He passed the tests with 90% or better. BUT, he was not writing all the steps out as I mentioned, so he did not develop good habits which is definitely biting him in the butt now. I was looking at the gradebook for a measure of success, not HOW he was getting it done.

I do think I will look at Key to Algebra because I have used some of their other books when needed and they were helpful.

I also think I have to accept that this will likely be a 2 yr program for him, which is fine. Maybe letting go of the pressure of getting it done this summer will take off some stress from both of us.

I think someone else teaching him would benefit him most so I will definitely look harder at tutors.With 3 younger kids at home also, this would benefit BOTH of us I think.

My dd 15 is dyslexic.  She struggled with math like crazy until we found TT (we tried MUS, Math Mammoth, Sadlier Oxford which she had been doing in 2nd before she came home with me, and others).  I started her in TT Pre-Algebra in 7th with the intent of taking two years to "get the basics down".  We took it slow and I supplemented like crazy.  I would introduce new concepts before TT did a lot of the time.  We found that a Danica McKellar book called "Math Doesn't Suck"  (horrific title, but awesome book!) helped her tremendously. It is a "girly" book, though.  Your ds may balk at it.

I am NOT a math person.  I still have to look up how to convert decimals to fractions and how to do ratios every. single. time.  Taking this route with Dd did seem to help her, though.  I learned a LOT in the process, too.  :001_smile:

This year (9th), she is doing TT Algebra 1 and doing very well.  I just asked her how she is feeling about it and she said that it is getting pretty hard and it is taking her longer to get through a lesson, but she feels she is "getting it".  She is on lesson 64.  

For this year, the best thing I could have done was to hand it over to our public school enrichment class.  It has been huge!  We are blessed to have a one day a week ps "school" that our local school district runs. The math teacher is originally from India and is incredible.  Dd only meets with her one day a week for one hour, but they cram a ton into that hour.  Just having someone else to listen to and to be accountable to has been the thing that really seemed to get Dd to focus.  They do TT, the teacher lectures and does the practice problems with the kids in class, then gives about 5 to 6 lessons a week for the kids to bring home, including tests that I proctor.  I check the homework, the teacher checks the tests.  This is a copy of this week's assignments:

Please SHOW all your work where applicable.

1.       Lesson# 62: Pages 291-293, Problem# 1, 2, 3-8 even, 9-23 all

2.       Lesson# 63: Pages 297-299, Problem# 1-6 even,7-21 all

3.       Review Chapter 8 thoroughly and then take the chapter 8 test on page 77 in "Answer Key and Test Bank" book. Please DO NOT check your answers in the answer key.

4.       Lesson# 64: Pages 304-306, Problem# 1-13 all, 14-24 even

5.       Lesson# 65: Pages 308-310, Problem# 1-10 all, 11-23 odd

6.       Lesson# 66: Pages 313-315, Problem# 1-15 all, 16-24 even

Reminders to Parents:

• Please proctor the test your student is taking and send it back with him/her on the due date. The test will be graded by the teacher.
  • Please continue to check your child’s Math homework for correctness and initial the 1st page. 

I cannot begin to tell you what this has done for Dd.  Just having a "tutor" was the key for her.  I highly recommend a tutor or a class at this point.

Your ds has GOT to show his work.  My ds (11th now) would do the work "in his head", no matter how much I pushed him to write it out.  Then he hit a wall and paid the price for it when the work started to get a bit more challenging.  He learned his lesson and it sounds as if yours is too.

I wish you the best of luck in this.  Math is just not fun to me.  I would much rather discuss a literature piece or dive in to the history of the Middle Ages.  Unfortunately, it is a necessary evil and it makes us stretch ourselves.

Tablet class math Algebra saved my Ds, who was taking Algebra 1 via keystone and floundering. Khan helped some, but tablet class is what made him finally UNDERSTAND Algebra. And he is redoing pre algebra via tablet class as well, to cement things, right now. Ironically, he just finished Keystones geometry with an A this week- thank you Saxon math for integrating geometry all those years! The hardest part of geometry for Ds was...the algebra!

Tablet class is also inexpensive, they run half off sales periodically.