Menu

Downton Abbey Episode 4

Heather in Neverland

Thinly veiled spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't seen it yet...

Lord Gilligham....

SWOON......

Is Mary crazy??? I never liked Matthew that much anyway. He always seemed a bit petulant to me. But Lord Gillingham is so dreamy.

I loved Jack Ross. He and Rose would make a scandalous pair.

Poor Anna. My heart breaks for her. :(

I love Mrs. Hughes. She is so awesome. I love the way she handled that conniving Braithewait.

I still miss Sybil.

Something tells me that the LGillingham and Mary storyline isn't over yet. I must say I am thoroughly enjoying all the purple in the costumes this year. And, I am seriously considering bringing back the head-scarf-side-bow a la Edith, but I am just not sure I can pull it off as good as she does. I may have to wear an outfit with gloves to make it look as elegant, and I think my kids might think I am crazy (okay crazier) wearing a pair of long gloves to teach!

I so much want Edith to find happiness.

I think Lady Mary missed the boat reg. Lord Gillingham…but she seemed to have realized that as well, so perhaps it is not over.

Loved how Mrs. Huges handled everything.

What about the whole cooking school? I wonder if Daisy will apply and get accepted instead of Alfred?  

I would love a season cliff-hanger with Mary running into the church during the LG marriage to the other girl, at the exact moment the pastor is saying, "If anyone knows why these two should not be joined in marriage, let him speak now or forever hold his peace..."

I also foresee Edith going to Germany. I also think it might be an interesting plot line to have her narrowly escape (or even put in some sort of prison camp briefly) to get back to Downton. I do love the portrayal of the changing of the times and how it affects the running of Downton.

Mrs. Hughes is a rock. Gillingham pushed too much. If the writers let Mary fall for him head over heels, it would seem she didn't care much about Matthew. It's only supposed to be 6-8 months since he passed, right? But my guess is, Gillingham won't be marrying anyone else...

Gregson moved up considerably in my estimation when he straightened out the cheating gambler.

It's driving dh crazy how they drag out the Anna mess. He wants to see swift justice. :)

I've already watched the entire season online but I do agree that Mrs. Hughes is awesome and Tom needs to get over his humble past and just get on with life. I liked Matthew but I also like Lord Gillingham, and I loved Sybil. Sniff.

I'd better not say much more, as I don't want to give anything away to those currently watching this season on its U.S. timetable.

A fireplace in every room?

But even with a fireplace in every room (which draws heat out of the room and sends it up the chimney), I can't imagine that the rooms actually got very warm.  How on Earth could those rooms, with those high ceilings, be above 70 degrees (at a temp where I still need to wear at least one sweater.) 

But even with a fireplace in every room (which draws heat out of the room and sends it up the chimney), I can't imagine that the rooms actually got very warm. How on Earth could those rooms, with those high ceilings, be above 70 degrees (at a temp where I still need to wear at least one sweater.)

I think those huge houses with the massive rooms and high ceilings were probably quite chilly and drafty, even with fireplaces. England is damp and chilly and they may have been used to it. Also, they may have worn more clothing than the show portrays...long sleeves, shawls, sweaters. The sleeveless dresses may have been reserved for the summer.

Ugh...Prairie Song! Now I want to watch the WHOLE season! Sigh, but then it will be over too quickly, and I will have to wait another year...

It's up to you, but I totally enjoyed watching the entire thing over a few days. I still watched it on Sunday evening, even though I knew what was coming!

I think Anna's reasoning is correct. Bates would kill the guy (and I wouldn't blame him) then hang. I am hoping that Mary will pry it out of her, then Gillingham will help make the valet "disappear" and they will eventually get together. I liked Matthew fine, but Gillingham seems like a nice fellow. 

I think Edith signed a Power of Attorney because he said it was something that would give her some control of his affairs while he was away. I agree that it was dumb of her not to read it though. 

I, too, am tired of Branson's moping but it makes sense. After Sybil died he only had Matthew as his best friend and encourager. (Well, maybe he had Mary too but she was in her own world and couldn't give any help.) So with Matthew gone and Lord Grantham wanting to be in charge of everything again there was room for doubt to creep in.

I hope Edna is really gone.

With Edith signing what I assume was a power of attorney, I wonder if something big will come up concerning Gregson's wife.

I hope the Gillingham valet gets his comeuppance. Grr!

Yeah, why didn't she read it? And what could it be? Do you think he could be a spy? Okay, maybe that might be a bit out-there.

Anna's storyline is irritating to me as well. It just doesn't seem that someone who worked so hard to be with someone would just sort of dump it all.

I think it's something akin to a pre-nup. He's willing to use the young "trophy" girl for his own ends, but doesn't want her to have any of his money. He may be after some Downton money as well. So, it may have said something like "if you get pregnant from this encounter, you agree to tell everyone else that's it's not my kid, I disavow having ever slept with you, and you'll never see a penny from me" or something similar. Whatever it took to get him out of legal trouble as well as leave her with all of the responsibility.

I think she'll end up in Germany with him, he won't be able to get the promised divorce, she'll be pregnant, and he will want her gone to get rid of the scandal.

But, who knows...these writers are crafty little devils, LOL!

I think Anna's reasoning is correct. Bates would kill the guy (and I wouldn't blame him) then hang. I am hoping that Mary will pry it out of her, then Gillingham will help make the valet "disappear" and they will eventually get together. I liked Matthew fine, but Gillingham seems like a nice fellow. 

I think Edith signed a Power of Attorney because he said it was something that would give her some control of his affairs while he was away. I agree that it was dumb of her not to read it though. 

That's what it was supposed to be, but I think he is devious, and I'm not sure I'm buying this whole German divorce charade.

Maybe he's a spy? Although it's a bit early timeline wise for them to be worried about Hitler, etc.  Think Hitler was in jail or about to be at this time for the Beer Hall Putsch.  Still, maybe that's where his prowess at cards comes from?

Still, I want him to be all he says he is for Edith's sake.  I feel so bad for her.  Keeping the Brady Bunch theme, she's definitely a Jan…only more likable IMHO.