Menu

Amazon package MIA. What to do?

ereks mom

EK is leaving tomorrow to return to college for the new semester.  Classes start Wednesday.  We ordered all of her books from Amazon and ebay.  All of the books came in except one--and of course, it was the most expensive (an $82 psychology book). 

I ordered the book from a "just launched" Amazon seller (probably my first mistake), and apparently this is that seller's first and only item listed for sale.  I placed the order on January 6, and at that time, Amazon's delivery estimate indicated that the book would arrive at our house in plenty of time for EK to have it before the new semester started. 

I received an email from Amazon on January 6th (the same day that I placed my order), stating that the book had been shipped via USPS, and providing me with a tracking number.  When I checked the tracking info at the USPS website, it shows "Electronic Shipping Info Received" (NOT that the package was actually mailed, but only that USPS was notified to expect the package) on January 7th, the day AFTER the book was supposedly shipped!  It shows that the package was shipped Priority Mail 2-Day.   

Well, the book still has not arrived, and now, Amazon's delivery estimate shows January 29th, a week after the first day of classes.   And of course, the book, assuming it arrives at all, will be delivered to our house, and THEN I'll have to ship it to EK at school.  Grrrrrr!!!

I have contacted the seller (today) but have received no response.  I tried to contact Amazon to file a claim, but all I get is a message that it's "still within the range of the delivery estimate." Riiiiiight. So, here's my question:  if I order another book and have it shipped (expedited) to EK, and the other one finally arrives, can I send it back and get a refund since it didn't get here in time?  Will I have to pay the return shipping?

I am so mad!!!

Did you pay for expedited shipping? I think that unless you paid for expedited shipping, that you may be able to return it, but will have to pay return shipping. I mean I sold some books on Amazon and most sellers use media mail and if something was mailed on the 7th, then miniumu 2 weeks for delivery, often 3. So I think their original date may have beem off. 

If I need something by XX date without fail, I usually order directly from Amazon or pay for upgraded shipping if that is an option.

Oh and as far as tracking number, if it is media or parcel, my PO told me they sometimes don't scan until delivery or maybe at 1 stop but not at others. It has happened to me that is showed "info recieved" for days and then boom it shows up "out for delivery".

Wait...just saw you say it says "priority mail"... who shows that??? PO? Amazon?? Maybe there was a typo in the tracking number??? If PO, then I would double check the tracking number.....

Did you pay for expedited shipping? I think that unless you paid for expedited shipping, that you may be able to return it, but will have to pay return shipping. I mean I sold some books on Amazon and most sellers use media mail and if something was mailed on the 7th, then miniumu 2 weeks for delivery, often 3. So I think their original date may have beem off. 

If I need something by XX date without fail, I usually order directly from Amazon or pay for upgraded shipping if that is an option.

Oh and as far as tracking number, if it is media or parcel, my PO told me they sometimes don't scan until delivery or maybe at 1 stop but not at others. It has happened to me that is showed "info recieved" for days and then boom it shows up "out for delivery".

Wait...just saw you say it says "priority mail"... who shows that??? PO? Amazon?? Maybe there was a typo in the tracking number??? If PO, then I would double check the tracking number.....

The USPS website shows that the shipper paid for Priority Mail 2-day with $100 worth of insurance.  I got the tracking number from Amazon.

I have found that the tracking info USPS gives is frequently inaccurate. I had a package that USPS claimed had been delivered to another state.

I contacted the relatively new Amazon seller (I looked him up on eBay and he was a regular seller there) he ignored me. After a day I contacted Amazon via chat, they couldn't do much since it was within the delivery window but they did contact the seller, who did then reply to me. He claimed this happened a lot at his post office (my package was supposedly delivered to a nearby town from where he mailed it). A couple days later it showed up at my house. USPS still shows it was delivered to another state.

This is happening to me right now as well. I ordered a book on the 2nd of January. The tracking number from USPS states that it was shipped priority mail and is estimated to arrive at my address on 9 January. I've called the post office and was only able to get through the automated system once - that was on the 11th. They told me they would assign an investigator, and call me back in 2 business days - nothing. I filed another complaint via email the following week. Again is stated they would call me within 2 business days - nothing. My tracking number states that my package is still being processed in the city of origin - which USPS seems to think is acceptible.

I received a generic email from USPS yesterday thanking me for using their email inquiry system and that they hope I was satisfied with my reply... ??

When I phoned in, I even double checked to make sure that the package wasn't in a location that was delayed due to winter weather - that would have been understandable. They assured me that it wasn't, so I don't know what's happening.

Good news (relatively) -- because USPS tracking is unreliable, you may be OK.  Bad news -- because USPS tracking is unreliable, it could be anywhere.

When I sell textbooks on Amazon I always offer a free upgrade from "standard" (i.e. media) to "expedited" (i.e. Priority) because it makes my book more attractive and pleases the buyers.  For heavy textbooks, using a Priority envelope is actually cheaper than Media Mail anyway.  And yes, I always have 2-3 buyers a year who send me nasty messages about not mailing their book or doing something weird with the label because they don't see what they expect in the tracking.  My first one was last week.  And thus far, I've never had a Priority Mail book not arrive.  Sometimes a day late, but not bad.

However, yours should have arrived by now, and you have every right to be worried.  

UPDATE:

I contacted Amazon today, and they, in turn, contacted the seller, who then contacted me (finally).  The seller confirmed that the package was never shipped!!?!?!! 

She offered to either

1) refund my money AND send me the book with standard shipping (maybe media mail--she wasn't clear on that) 

OR

2) to ship the book Express Mail Overnight but give me no refund. 

Which would you have chosen?  Or would you have suggested a compromise?  That's what I did.  I don't feel that the seller should send the book AND issue a refund, but I also don't think I should pay full price for the book, even if she ships it overnight.  I suggested that she ship it Priority Mail 2-Day and issue a PARTIAL refund. 

I haven't heard back from her as to whether she finds the compromise acceptable. I told her that if the compromise I suggested in unacceptable for her, I would like a full refund and she can keep her book.  As it turns out, the price for a brand new book from Amazon has dropped, so it would now be only a few cents more than what I paid the seller for the used book, and I can get it in 2 days since I have Amazon Prime.   

UPDATE:

I contacted Amazon today, and they, in turn, contacted the seller, who then contacted me (finally).  The seller confirmed that the package was never shipped!!?!?!! 

She offered to either

1) refund my money AND send me the book with standard shipping (maybe media mail--she wasn't clear on that) 

OR

2) to ship the book Express Mail Overnight but give me no refund. 

Which would you have chosen?  Or would you have suggested a compromise?  That's what I did.  I don't feel that the seller should send the book AND issue a refund, but I also don't think I should pay full price for the book, even if she ships it overnight.  I suggested that she ship it Priority Mail 2-Day and issue a PARTIAL refund. 

I haven't heard back from her as to whether she finds the compromise acceptable. I told her that if the compromise I suggested in unacceptable for her, I would like a full refund and she can keep her book.  As it turns out, the price for a brand new book from Amazon has dropped, so it would now be only a few cents more than what I paid the seller for the used book, and I can get it in 2 days since I have Amazon Prime.   

How frustrating. I would also send copies of your correspondence to Amazon. By marking something shipped that actually wasn't, she may have violated her agreement with Amazon and they might suspend her account. Personally, since you offered a compromise, I would wait perhaps through the day to hear from her, then  if you don't order the book new.