Menu

beginner trumpet student living here...need a suggestion....

kfeusse

my 11 year old son has been taking trumpet lessons for about a year now, and he is doing a really great job.  But the one thing I am not sure about is that he puffs his cheeks when he plays.  His teacher (who sits next to him when he teaches) doesn't pay a lot of attention to it...and he doesn't have any suggestions for me to help my son NOT do this. 

SO, I am looking for any ideas....I thought about him using a mirror...but then he can't look at the music...so I am not sure what to do.

if you know of a suggestion, I am all ears.  thanks.

Yes, a mirror is good for practicing, for a lot of reasons. Does he start his practice sessions by buzzing on the mouthpiece first? The mouthpiece alone will not have as much resistance and might discourage the cheek puffing.

Also, is he breathing "up high" in his chest or taking deep, low breaths? His shoulders shouldn't be raising up with each breath. That's something I've noticed among the beginners I used to teach. That might be part of it.

DH says unless you hear a pffffff with the note, not to worry too much about it with a beginner. Controlling sound and aperture comes with practice, and he's got to figure out how to make everything work together to get the right sound. He could need a different size mouthpiece. Check all the pipes and valves to make sure the trumpet is "tight." There may be an open spit valve or something that is requiring him to work harder to produce sound.

The teacher sitting next to him isn't odd, but he should be correcting and offering suggestions. Maybe a different teacher would be a better fit.

I have a feeling I'm going to be hearing trumpeting from the basement later. He doesn't play now and says he misses it.

It's an issue. His teacher should be addressing it, truly. A lot of times kids who play that way also have an articulation issue - using the lips to say "puh" rather than the tongue to say "tah". At the beginning stages it sounds very similar, but is a bad habit that will limit progress before long at all.