Menu

Ok, so tell me what you think, dd's resume....

Prairie~Phlox

It's been a while since I've even looked at a resume, but this is just brainstorming.  Not sure if there's too much on it? Any suggestions? Right now it all fits on one page.

AThat's my name
1234 C Drive, Mytown, IN 41245
123-334-7856 (cell)
myemail@comcast.net

EDUCATION

Home School High School, Mytown, IN
High School Graduation anticipated in May 2016

Planning to study nursing as a major in college

WORK EXPERIENCE

Child Care

April 2011-current

• Provide child care for several families after school, weekends and during school vacations

Blank Christian Daycare

April 2013-August 2013

• Oversaw 2-5 year olds, afterschool children, responsible for greeting parents and cleaning

Culinary  Catering

2011-current

• Help prep and serve food and beverages at catered events

VOLUNTEER WORK

Our County Library, Summer Reading Program Volunteer, 2010-2012

Blank Christian Daycare, Shopping Assistant, 2009-2012               

SKILLS

Enjoy working with children

Reading, writing, and drawing

Hard worker, honest, and reliable

Proficient with Microsoft Word and the Internet

ACTIVITIES

Member of Blank Christian Church

Drama Troupe, 2012-current

4-H Member, 2007-current

Red Cross Babysitter Training, April 2011

REFERENCES

Elizab S                      123-456-2161

D Smit                        123-456-2952

Bill Bold, Pastor         123-456-4083

Guest submarines

I'd combine Education with Training (baby sitter training).

The Skills section is very mish-mashy. "Hard worker" is not a skill. I don't think "Honest" should ever be on a resume. "Reading, writing and drawing" are not skills that should be on the resume either. They should go under "Interests." The only actual skill listed is the Microsoft Office / Interent.

Other random thoughts:

Anticipated graduation date should be combined with the first line.

"Planning to study..." is better phrased as "College goal: nursing"--shorter and more active.

Skills should be more precise and detailed. I'm sure she has more than what you listed!

Depending on what she comes up under "skills" I'd put the Skills section earlier on the resume--either first, or second.

I'd combine Education with Training (baby sitter training).

The Skills section is very mish-mashy. "Hard worker" is not a skill. I don't think "Honest" should ever be on a resume. "Reading, writing and drawing" are not skills that should be on the resume either. They should go under "Interests." The only actual skill listed is the Microsoft Office / Interent.

Other random thoughts:

Anticipated graduation date should be combined with the first line.

"Planning to study..." is better phrased as "College goal: nursing"--shorter and more active.

Skills should be more precise and detailed. I'm sure she has more than what you listed!

Depending on what she comes up under "skills" I'd put the Skills section earlier on the resume--either first, or second.

Thanks, we were taking some ideas from online.  I may just have her take out the SKILLS and change it to INTERESTS.

These are the changes I've made for her:

EDUCATION

Home School High School, Mytown, IN, graduation anticipated in May 2016

College goal: nursing

WORK EXPERIENCE

Child Care

April 2011-current

• Red Cross Babysitter Training Certification, April 2011
  • Provide child care for several families after school, weekends and during school vacations

Blank Christian Daycare

April 2013-August 2013

• Oversaw 2-5 year olds, afterschool children, responsible for greeting parents and cleaning
Culinary Catering

2011-current

• Help prep and serve food and beverages at catered events

Blank County Public Library, Summer Reading Program, Volunteer

May-August: 2010-2012

• Assisted patrons signing up for the Summer Reading Program

Blank Christian Daycare, Shopping Assistant, Volunteer

2009-2012

• Assisted with weekly shopping, unloading and putting away of groceries for the daycare

ACTIVITIES

Member of Blank Christian Church

Drama Troupe, 2012-current

4-H Member, 2007-current

I still left the references as well. Should we take out "in" and do graduation anticipated: May 2016

I really don't think this guy is expecting a whole lot, but I don't want it to look like she's not trying at all. Thanks. Any other word changes?

Changes suggested:

Possibly: Homeschool High School -to- "High School 'Junior' (or 'Grade xx' -- whatever is normal), Name of Town" {Sorry, but this somewhat disguises the homeschooling angle, making her seem more 'normal' as an applicant. Unless being 'the homeschooled one' is going to be a really positive thing, it's probably best viewed as a potential negative to 'some people'.}

Capital G on 'graduation anticipated' --and, yes, take out the 'in'.

Call the section "Work and Volunteer Experience"

Work Expearience. Put the two 'until present' ones together, it's more logical, as well as seeming like she has two different strong skills, rather than reading like 'all kids, oh, plus cooking'.

Change the detail on the daycare entry to be less specific. Those details make the job seem small/narrow, which it probably was, in which case vaguer is better. (The same with the summer reading program details and thr daycare volunteering details. Vaugeness might give the impression of greater levels of responsibility.)

Consider calling the 'activities' "community involvement" instead.

Leave a blank line separating each if the 3 'activities'.