Menu

Moodiness/Depression in young teens

Loowit

How can you tell if your young teen is having depression problems or is just being moody.  My DD is almost 13 and has a very pessimistic outlook on life in the last year, but especially in the last month.  When she was little she was a very happy, cheerful child.  She was bubbly and outgoing, always looking forward to everything.  Now she is negative about many things, often telling me things like "What's the point", "I don't have any friends", etc.  Then a few minutes later she is talking about her friends, the upcoming youth group retreat, how exciting dance is, ...

I am pretty sure it is just a part of growing up and trying to find her place and where she fits in, but I worry that she may have some depression mostly because of family history.  My great-grandmother had manic depression (institutionalized), my grandmother and mom both have had depression episodes, and I had horrible PPD bordering on psychosis.  I have now been diagnosed with depression which is being successfully treated with medication.  So with the strong family history I am more alert to the possibility of depression in my children.  My youngest has shown some definite signs of tendency toward depression even though he is still quite young.  He is currently seeing a therapist and doing much better w/o meds.

Anyway, I guess my question is when do you know it is beyond just normal teen being down and when it is a problem that needs a professional?  She has told me that she is feeling "depressed" but I am not sure she knows exactly what that means, I think she is meaning sad.  She does have a lot of times she is really excited about things.  Yesterday she had a wonderful day with friends, then today is all woe is me.  But she has hobbies that she spends time on an enjoys.  She isn't pulling back from things that she loves doing.  Overall she is still pretty happy, but the times she isn't are rough.  She is having her annual well check next month and I could bring it up with her doctor but I am hesitant to do so in front of DD in fear that she will get the idea that there is something wrong with her.

it the swings are extreme.  if it lasts more than a couple weeks.  if the behavior has changed.

you said depression runs in the family.  there are genetic predispositions that are hereditary.  low vitamin d3 levels can contribute - and the modern lifestyles make lower vitamin d3 levels.  that's easy to check, and easy to supplement.   I would do that before Rx.  if the d3 levels are up (at least 50), and she is still struggling, then you can look at rx.  also have her thyroid checked.

what are her stress levels like?

Call the doctor's office, ask to speak to his or her nurse, and explain the problem.

I agree with not bringing it up with the doctor in front of dd.

Another thought:  Since you say your youngest is in therapy, could you consult his therapist?

Anne

You can call ahead to the doctor's office and give them a heads up and they can have the nurse take her out while you talk to the doctor and then bring her back, etc.  Your son's therapist might also be a good place.

I would also ask her doctor to check her Vit D levels, thyroid, iron levels, blood sugars, urinalysis, etc. just to rule out any other underlying physical issue that might be at play.

I would add in a doctor vote, and I am generally strongly opposed to that route. My reasoning for a baseline assessment would be that if she has a family history, I would want to establish the pattern with her of seeking help and making regular mental health check ups a part of her routine care. I would want it to be seen by her as "normal" and something you do as a regular course of action - like dental cleanings and the womanly stuff. With a family history that strong I would not want her to associate help with "emergency" or "something sick people do".

Thank everyone.  I will call and leave a message for her ped to call me at home.  She is really good about that sort of thing.  I will ask both about the tests for vitamin deficiency, thyroid, etc. and about the mental health evaluation.

I would talk to DS's therapist but he just started seeing a new one and we have only seen her once so far.  She seems great, but I am not sure I am comfortable bringing it up with her right now.