Menu

Spanish for 1st grade? Recommendations?

~Victoria~

My son has been watching Salsa videos on line with vocabulary focus.  We will carry those through the end of the school year and maybe into the summer.  I have been looking at these programs - any thoughts on them?  Something different?

Getting Started with Spanish http://gettingstartedwithspanish.com/

Instant Replay http://www.knowitall.org/instantreplay/content/program.cfm?SeriesIDpassed=43&offset=0&FromVideo=1

Speaking Spanish with Miss Mason and Francois http://cherrydalepress.com/?page_id=15

Spanish for You! http://www.spanish-for-you.net/ (I have the 6 week sample and would have to modify it for first)

The Fun Spanish http://www.lulu.com/shop/garcia-kimberly/the-fun-spanish-level-1/ebook/product-17548536.html

I am reading through the free kindle sample of gsws. I may just buy it and go through it myself, the. Teach those lessons to Noah while using the instant replay videos next year. It's only $10 on kindle :). I'm not decided on that though - I'd love more suggestions.

We LOVED Song School Spanish.  My son enjoyed the songs, the pace was just right.  The teacher's book and student book matched up perfectly, and it went in a logical order with an appropriate amount of work/new words for each lesson.  No hunting around to find 6 different things for each lesson- it just walked straight through the student workbook (it's a workbook style text).  It was very easy, open-and-go, and my son has really retained everything.  We did it last year (age 6-7), and wish, wish, wish, they had a level 2.  We also got the flashcards, which are very professional and color- we used them a lot in matching and guessing games to practice the vocabulary.  We are now using Spanish for You, and I hate it.  It is NOT open and go, and you constantly have to search around for everything- back and forth to worksheets back to the lesson plan, back to the (tiny) sort-of-textbook. It is not easy to use, and I don't like it.  But there doesn't seem to be a lot in between Song School Spanish and full-blown past participle-type spanish instruction (he is still only 7, after all- it's not supposed to be painful).  And most seem to be really oriented to a classroom- again, just one here!  We're plugging through Estaciones from Spanish for You, but if I could find a good alternate I would certainly switch- if I had realized Spanish for you was so disjointed, I would never ever have bought it.  Anyone know of a workbook-style spanish text for elementary children?

We do La Clase Divertida and my kids love the craft / cooking for each lesson. We will do a level a year (k,1,2) with no workbook and just expecting conversation and then repeat with workbook / learn to read / spell for 3,4,5 and then move on to another program.

I bought the Miss Mason Program. *Yawn*

Maybe it's just me, and it would be better with a better teacher, but we find it dull. My 7th grader was listening in to a lesson, and said, "I'm glad I don't have to use that for my Spanish program."

I've also used GSWS, and I don't think it would be a good choice for 1st grade. It would be a great introduction for you, though.

I like DuoLingo for me and my 7th grader, but I have been at a loss for what to use for elementary Spanish.

I am leaning toward Song School Spanish. I emailed and asked if they are going to make a second level - but they responded that it isn't in the works. I looked at The Easy Spanish but read negative reviews - I think it wouldn't be good for first. They have a jr one but I didn't love the look of the samples.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found some more Spanish things I am looking at... I really like the looks of Song School Spanish, but I don't know if it is going to foster a lot of Spanish conversation in our home.

Lightning Fast Spanish for Kids and Families reminds me of Speaking Spanish with Miss Mason and Francois a little bit, super simple but maybe a good option

52 Weeks of Family Spanish

Rock A Lingua I will definitely use this to supplement whatever we do - but I thought about buying the cd and doing the vocab and phrases from one song

OnlineFreeSpanish.com

Mark it off your list. It's a big, hard-to-organize mess. The workbooks have too much writing for youngers too. I bought the whole sha-bang and recently dumped it for Song School Spanish. If your child can write well enough without complaint, go for it! DD loves it.

Risas y Sonrisas looks good and has workbooks - but the program seems expensive. I wish the workbooks were available as PDFs.