Menu

Please Help Me Write This

AlmiraGulch

I want to buy a yearbook recognition placement for DD11.   It's a 1/8 page add that will include her picture plus a message from me to her.

I want to tell her how awesome she is, and that I couldn't be more proud to be her mom, but if I do it in a "mushy" way she'll die of embarassment.  This kid does not do sentimental.  She does appreciate humor.

My first draft (which I instantly discarded because it's too mushy) said:

XXXX,

You're kind, funny, and basically the coolest person I know.  Everything about you makes me proud to be your mom.  I can't wait to see what great things are in store for you in Middle School and beyond.

Love,

Mom

I need better wording, though.  Something cool.  Something hip.  Something that won't make her die of embarassment. 

Suggestions?  I'm hoping that since it's MY kid and not yours you won't get all teary eyed and sentimental and will be able to be objective about it, unlike me.  :laugh:

If she isn't sentimental... is this some sort of traditional thing that just needs to happen because it's what all parents in your area do at this occasion (not leaving her out of what is normal)? Or is it your desire to be sentimental? Perhaps something more private -- like not in a publication destined for all her peers?

Sorry... I can try to help with the wording, I just wanted to ask first whether you feel quite sure about the plan as a whole.

My daughter attended a homeschooling resource center from 7th through 12th grades.  The center put out a yearbook each year.  For my daughter's senior year, I purchased an ad and used the caption "Hats off to you, Daughter's Name."  In the ad I included three pictures of my daughter at ages 2, 5, and 18.  In each of the pictures, she was wearing a hat. 

Regards,

Kareni

"Rick-rolling" (assuming we are talking about the same thing here)... would be to write something bland and include a web address in the quote.  The web address would take them to the music video by Rick Astley for his song Never Gonna Give You Up.

I would go with what you wrote, except probably without the "coolest person I know" line because none of my kids would ever believe that I had the slightest idea what was "cool"   :coolgleamA:  :coolgleamA:

The best one I ever read was a senior dedication from the parents -

Dear XXX, Class Validictorian, Remember when you broke the front window with the basketball?  We forgive you.  Love Dad and Mom.